New PB's worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cypher3, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Cypher3 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    #1
    Im considering a new 12" PB w/ or w/o SD. I currently own a 12" Rev B with 768 MB ram, which is a fine machine, but is a little slow at times. I usually run iChat and Safari, with occasional word use, possible dvd burning and occasional WoW,Warcraft 3 etc. My PB is my only computer so it is used every day, which is why im considergin an upgrade. To buy a new PB I would sell this one and use that money plus some I have saved to pay for the new PB. Is it worth it to upgrade? I mean I could really use the speed and possibly the SD drive, but I could also save about $400 or so dollars by not upgrading.
     
  2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

    Solafaa

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Location:
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    #2
    WoW on a 12" PB? i will try that when mine comes.

    Well i would have to say no. Getting the newer PBs as an upgrade is not worth it in my opinon. How do you use your PB? do you sit at a desk or a couch. If you have a desk/workplace then why not get a monitor, it would help you with WoW and WarCraft and would be great extra space. The monitor would last a long time, if you decide to get a desktop or a newer laptop then you would have the monitor there.

    At the current specs i advice you not to upgrade, its just not worth it.
     
  3. Cypher3 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    #3
    I use it both on the couch and at my desk. I already have a 17 inch monitor for it, which I use when I am at my desk.
     
  4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

    Solafaa

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Location:
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    #4
    Well if you want the extra speed then do upgrade, if you can do everything you need on the PB you have then dont waste your money.
     
  5. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Haven, Michigan
  6. Eevee macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #6
    don't upgrade. It's not worth the money. Heard rumors that the G5 PB will be out by the end of this year w/ OS 10.4 (Tiger). Wait for that one.
     
  7. efoto macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2004
    Location:
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    #7
    How many years have those "G5 end of this year" rumors been going around? They are getting closer each day, if they are even going to use it. PErsonally there is compelling data to suggest that a dual-core G4 would make much more sense as a mobile solution than a G5....so I vote for that, but still by the end of this year, keep waiting :p

    I prefer to own and not speculate, just ordered a new one Monday :D
     
  8. mactastic macrumors 68040

    mactastic

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Location:
    Colly-fornia
    #8
    Doesn't sound like you need a new computer yet, however if you've got the money burning a hole in your pocket go for it. Personally I don't see anything compelling about the new PB to justify upgrading from my TiBook. It's still a G4 for Christ's sake. If a new G4 tickles your fancy, just get a mac mini. Otherwise hold out for the Rev B G5 PBs.
     
  9. Cypher3 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    #9
    Im pretty sure I am going to hold off on upgrading since its not really necessary. I mean, I kind of wanted to play some of the newer games, but I dont game often anyway. If I had the money to burn, Id probably go or it, but seeing as the money could be better spent, I will wait for the G5. Thanks for your help guys.

    Cypher
     

Share This Page