New PBs

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wardofsky, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

As we all know by now is that the new PBs and burn CD and DVD media.

It does this by using a slot loading drive.

BUT, say that if it is your lap and this would put it at a slight angle, would that be bad for the disc (If being read/written) and/or the drive itself.

Would this also apply if the PB was to be picked up causing the structure to warp ever so slightly?

I'm not sure if I understood what I just said but could some Apple Technician around here give me some advice or somethun...

2. yamadataro macrumors 6502

The drives on PBs are free-floating by rubber parts, so that the warping issue you are worried about would probably not be a problem. You'll realize that once you take the PB G4 apart by your self, the drive unit is loosely sitting there.

As to the tilting your PB while disk burning/spining: I'm not sure what you are really worried about but I guess you are worried because it's slot loading and the disk falls off when you turn your PB upside down? Well, I'm not an engineering maniac, but I assume the disk in securely tightened while it spins. The disks spins real fast and it always needs to be secured.

Hard drive makers sometimes do not recommend turning the disk unit upside down, but there are vertical CD/DVD drives around so I assume it's OK with PB's as well.

Did I clear up your wonderings?

3. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't really plan on turning it upside down....
    But, sometimes when I pick up the iBook when the CDs being read, you can sort of hear it scrap in the drive.

4. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Yeah I've also heard weird noise when I pick up my TiBook while it was spinning a disk.

My conclusion was that it was not the disk being scrached but the vibration caused by the touch of the drive and the body part (I think).

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

In my experience, the combo drive operates fine at an angle, reading or writing. Just don't move it while there's a spinning disc in it, especially while writing. You won't damage the drive, but you could end up with a bad CD-R.