New PC for work: Gateway or Dell?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rend It, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Rend It macrumors 6502

Hi,

I will be purchasing a new computer for work (university research lab). And even though my own computer is a Mac, the software we use requires that we get a PC. Our school has contracts with Gateway or Dell. It will mostly be used for data collection and GPIB control of instruments. However, it needs to be reasonably reliable. I don't want to have to deal with hardware problems on the computer when I have enough of those with the other equipment.

So, any suggestions as to the two brands would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. coopdog macrumors 6502a

They both suck, but I would go with Dell. I have owned 2 Dells and they have been OK.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Definitely Dell.

Better all around service.

scem0

4. jkaz macrumors 6502

maybe someone could shed light on which brand is more 'apple compatible' or 'apple friendly'

meaning, if we had to, which one serves the apple user more than the other

5. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I agree. Dell is probably the best of the two brands, and possibly cheaper, too.

6. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be too sure about the Dell service thing. They are great when I call but Dell bases its call center in India where they can pay the people much less and are better workers than the people here in the US. Even though they have spent millions setting up the call center, routing the calls from the 1800# to india and tones of speech classes, they are moving it very soon. Due too all of the complaints from customers that they couldn't understand the operator. I'm not sure where they are moving it but I would think Dell support would not be up to par for a while.

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Can't say anything good for Gateway. I have know a lot of people with Gateways that went Gatewaydead.

I suggest option c) iBook :)

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I recommend a slide rule, a compass, and a lot of graph paper.

9. Rend It thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that is the way Enrico Fermi would have liked it.

Thanks for everyone's comments. After a bit of shopping today (on the web), I found that Gateway was actually slightly cheaper than Dell for similar systems, but perhaps that implies they are cheaper in quality, too. :D

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

If I absolutely had to choose one, I would go with the Dell.

11. jzieske macrumors regular

Since you have to pick... pick Dell. I have found that the quality is good and service is better then any other PC maker.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

dell or gateway?

that's a tough call since they are very comparable

now if it was e-machines or gateway, i would choose gateway

or e-machines or dell, i would choose dell

...but if it was sony or alien vs. dell or gateway, i would choose sony but then again sony charges was more for their gear but you get what you pay for, and alien charges prices that are..well, alien to what i can afford or comprehend

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As much as I dislike both, I would say Dell, simply because the company is in better shape. Gateway could go away any moment.

That said, the last place where I had a permanent job, we were getting rid of Gateway machines and getting Dell machines to replace them. 1 out of every 6 Dells were returned within a week to be replaced with working models.

14. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

15. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

16. Rend It thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude, we're gettin' a Dell!

So, after fumbling through our procurement site, I finally found a well-equipped Dell for not too much:

Precision Workstation 360MT
    Pentium 4, 2.8GHz, 1MB L2, 800MHz FSB
    Windows XP Pro
    1GB DDR SDRAM, ECC (2 DIMMS)
    80GB ATA-100 hard disk (7200 rpm)
    16x DVD-ROM drive
    48x/32x/48x CD-RW drive
    Dell UltraSharp 17" LCD display
    nVidia QuadroFX 500, 128MB, DVI/VGA (what the heck is a Quadro? I've heard of GeForce, but never Quadro)

Grand total was $1,590, and it comes with plenty of PCI slots for the DAQ and GPIB cards. Thanks to HexMonkey for providing the link to MacBytes. Of course, I'll probably still be using my 15" AlBook while the experiment is running.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we had a similar situation at the local college...bad floppy drives and cd drives and it gave dell a bad name in my eyes

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Dude, we're gettin' a Dell!

Quadro is a workstation-class video card--the good stuff.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

We've got the same problem...My lab is filled with die-hard mac fans, but the best electrophysiology data collection and analysis software is for PC. We've got two rigs using Macs right now, but we're likely going to have to replace them with PCs when we move to the new lab space because Axon Instruments' software (not available for Macintosh) is the best. Yes, it's terribly frustrating.

20. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Re: Re: Dude, we're gettin' a Dell!

I thought that stuff was made for CAD progs and stuff like that.
    I don't think it is made to play games.
    Nvidia's site wasn't very helpful in explaning things.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

DISCLAIMER: what i am about to say will mention governor arnold, but it's not meant to incite a political battle in this thread, that's what the political forums are for ;)

but...

when i first (really) got into computers in the '90s and started noticing stuff, the junior college where i live had a lot of both...the business skills center was 50-50 in terms of macs vs pc...then came dell and now all the computers in that lab are black dell towers

the new web design lab is all dells and was a pc-only lab from its inception

only the graphic arts lab are macs at the school and they are somewhat old G4 450 towers with apple crt monitors...i hope the next incarnation of macs, due in late 2004 after five years of the lab being macs, are to be G5s...there is always the possibility that the next round of computers for this lab will be dell desktops

i have caught hints that the powers that be at the college are headed that way since some of the dells have the adobe graphics suite on it throught areas in the school

one nearby junior college just got their monies from the state and put in 20+ G5 towers so they are set for the next five years as a mac lab...but they got these before arnold came in as governor

but now that arnold is in and set to cut back in education, we may see the dells because they "cost less" and that is all that the bean counters in sacramento (california's state capitol) seemed to be concerned about

22. iGav macrumors G3

I've got to buy a PC soon... for cross-platform stuff as VPC just ain't cutting it anymore... :rolleyes:

I'll be looking at a Sony I think... I need something that at least pays some respect to aesthetics... not sure whether to get a desktop or a VAIO... I've seen a relatively dandy desktop, but do quite fancy the idea of a VAIO so I can hide it when not using it... heheheh

23. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

What about building your own PC. It is cheaper if you do it plus you will probably get better service than Dell etc (if you have a graphics problem, go to the company's website and they will help you sort it.)

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

at one time, mid to late 90s and before, it was actually cheaper to build a pc...when there were many companies out there building them

after a few mergers and the dot.com bust, things changed radically in terms of pc companies

but today, a very small amount of mega-large companies pretty much dominate the market and they buy in such amazing quantities that they can get amazing volume discounts getting processors for less than half of what you and i (certified, licensed tech with student discounts) pay for it, and windows for three to five times less than what we would pay for it

but the advantage to building your own pc is that you have control over exactly what goes into it and you can get the best like asus motherboard, ram that isn't bargain basement, ati or nvidia cards, a decent looking case, and other customized goodies

beware of one thing, major pc companies always build computers from parts that are new and the parts offered to you, even shrinkwrapped, are actually often refurbished and returns and offered as new...i hate that stores do this to us consumers, but it is one of the things i have learned about this field being a tech, computer salesman, and consumer

but if you live in certain high tech regions, such as silicon valley or taiwan, then any combination of a pc desktop with any combination of components, could easily be found at a price cheaper than you or i can put a machine together for and the pc store or company will offer you free parts and service for at least a year and that is hard to beat

pc stores and companies do have certain advantages on price for a computer and most are smart in offering their machines very cheap just to get you as a customer so they can sell you peripherals, software, and ink (as well as other higher margin of profit gear)

25. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

I work at the University of Alabama. Up until about 4 years ago the Arts and Science department, which has about 10,000 students, used Gateways exclusively. The university as a whole has since switched to Dell for their PC needs, for the most part because they are easy to order. 4 years ago I ordered 5 Gateways over Dells because Dell didn't offer the options that the Gateways did. They are still in use today.

Just be sure to buy a business class machine, not consumer grade. Not sure what Gateway calls theirs, but the Dell is the Optiplex line.

cheers!