new pedestal-type laptop: has anyone else seen it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ffactory, Mar 24, 2004.

1. ffactory macrumors newbie

Mar 9, 2004
    about a month ago i saw someone at the local cafe using a laptop with a radical design: it seemed to be like a Al-PB 12", but with the top and bottoms sections inverted. the bottom section was very thin and housed the keyboard, while the upper section contained the screen and innards and appeared to connect to the base/keyboard via a thin, rotatable pedestal. i spied over the guy's shoulder to see if it was running xp or something, but now can't recall seeing any logo.

but what really gets me now in retrospect is this seems like a great design for dispersing heat, rather than having the processor, drive, etc pumping heat directly onto the table top -- air would flow smoothly around the raised screen/body and dissipate more quickly. and this made it seem like a great concept machine for a hot-running G5.

has anyone else seen this machine? would love to know what's in it (cpu, etc) and if there are other cooling strategies employed...
  2. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2003
    Western Hemisphere
    It is likely that you saw a Tablet PC with a detachable keyboard.

Jump on over to if you want to see lots of different models. Some have keyboards, some have keyboard accessories which are detachable, some have neither.