Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
You don't know what you're talking about. Just because you can't conceive of a use for it doesn't mean that other people don't have one. I've been begging for something like this (at an affordable price) for years, and I haven't been alone.

You really have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

How about this: you have no idea what I'm talking about. Let me say it again: you have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe if I said it a third time I'd win the argument?

I'm not saying no one has a use for this, but that it's not something that many people will find a use for. Actually, they did do a version of this before and only sold very few of it.

Many people say that this is what the iPad should be like. What I'm saying is that the iPad is a product designed for a majority of people, while this isn't, so the iPad would not benefit from being like this, it would actually not work very well at all.

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Why is this Page 1 news?

Because it is Apple related and newsworthy as it is interesting and borderline innovative utilizing an existing product and "shaping" it to what consumers are demanding. There is an interest with individuals involving this product.

So why be a negative nancy? Just ignore it and don't read the news posted. It is a choice. Otherwise - how about posting something contributing rather than a self absorbed sense of importance on what you deem important? Thanks. :D

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
No, the iPad absolutely should not be this. Its success proves that iOS was the way to go. This is a niche product, and I hope it does well. But this is not a core business Apple wants to be involved in.

Maybe someday Apple will create an optional way to make an ARM-only OS X run on an iPad. But you'll never see a TV commercial for it.

The iPad should have a pen/stylus option for artists. Using your finger simply doesn't cut it for those people/uses. I know Steve Jobs didn't like the idea of a stylus for the iPhone (because people tend to lose it and it's a PITA for basic stuff), but having the OPTION for certain applications (signature signing, drawing, Photoshop type editing, etc.) is invaluable. I think I read Apple is reconsidering its position for just these reasons. Using a finger to draw fine art is like being forced to use kindergarten finger paints instead of a fine brush and canvas.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Using a finger to draw fine art is like being forced to use kindergarten finger paints instead of a fine brush and canvas.

Following your analogy, complaining that the iPad doesn't have a stylus option is like complaining that finger paints don't also have a 'fine brush and canvas option'. Instead of just buying the fine brush and canvas which already exist, you go out and buy finger paint, complain that it's not something else, and then expect the manufacturer to kludge their hugely successful product into something significantly different.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Following your analogy, complaining that the iPad doesn't have a stylus option is like complaining that finger paints don't also have a 'fine brush and canvas option'. Instead of just buying the fine brush and canvas which already exist, you go out and buy finger paint, complain that it's not something else, and then expect the manufacturer to kludge their hugely successful product into something significantly different.

That has to be one of the most short-sighted posts I've ever read. Because something sells a large number of units, does that mean they shouldn't try to increase the reach and scope of the product? I guess that explains why they never put decent graphics cards in their machines (so they can make it 1/8th an inch thinner since that is just SO much more important than performance) and fanboys like to toot their horn for them with the "it's selling well so it MUST be perfect" routine. :rolleyes:

And FYI, not having a stylus option is one of the reasons I have NOT bought an iPad, so your after the fact concept is a bit flawed. If I haven't bought one for that reason, so have others. But Apple is making money, so a stylus option MUST be a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Glootyguy

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
I really really want this. My ONLY requirement is at least two (programable) buttons somewhere to the left or right of the screen. I work in animation, and use a cintiq every day. I absolutely need a quick undo button, as well as another button that I could assign as the space bar so I can easily move around large canvasses in photoshop. This thing would allow me to be in the writers room, drawing as we are breaking story. Dream come true. I would pay 5k for this if it had those buttons.
Without the buttons, I don't think its worth it for any price. SO CLOSE.

bertman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Laurel, Maryland
Just to say, the last ModBook Pro was $4,998 for the basic configuration!

I'm guessing touchscreens are cheaper now; I'd anticipate less of a difference from the MBP to the Axiotron product.

No joke, they are making a product, and if people want to pay for them to package it rather than attaching a Wacom to the own MBP, great.

Good luck Axiotron!

SonnyDickson

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Anyone using one?

AF5D7FA0-AFBC-43BA-8AED-15BA8EF322D1.jpeg

Reactions: einmusiker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.