New Pentium is so fast...

Discussion in 'Community' started by sturm375, Aug 27, 2002.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Here's an ad for the latest Pentium 4. Appearently so fast, it doesn't have time to slow down for a spell check:D

Link to the page: http://www.newegg.com/mac/

Attached Files:

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I was about to make a crack at how the General Cybernetics ad at the top of the Macrumors pages wasn't much better in the spelling department, but it got changed! The old one was full of little capitalization errors, and it used the word "upto." I wonder how some of these online computer businesses stay in business. Very unprofessional.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, General Cybernetic's ad is one of their first Mac ads. The mac rep from that company is a regular here at macrumors, and he is quite professional. I do know, however, that he isn't one of the photoshop gurus around here, and the ads I've seen so far are pretty darn good (considering).

FYI

4. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Ah, I didn't know that the ads were by a Macrumors regular... well, I don't want to offend him/her, but the ads, and the look of the site, to me, are just... what's the word... I don't know... shady. I usually don't care about spelling or site design in a web page, but online stores are different. I want a professional look with an obviously advanced site backend so I know I'm not dealing with inexperienced, non-web-savvy merchants... This is only constructive criticism of course. :)

Alex

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Absolutly. As far as I know they are redesigning the site. I'm not involved but I Believe Duke is; and he is very professional. I also remember them saying that the owner wants things done "his way" and he has as much e-buisness knowledge as my bassett hound :)

As far as the company I have bought from BTTM and he is very professional. I will be happy to answer any questions you have. Despite the website it is a five-star classy operation. I have nothing but great things to say. As soon as they have a used powwerbook I will give them more money.

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Next Intelt will come out with the Pentiunt 5 ;)

Actually the General Cybernetics ad was duke's first crack at making a web banner ad, that's pretty good for a first try.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

GC Site Design...

...has actually been helped along by many of us demi-Gods.

The front end pages of the store (product descriptions, deals, etc.) were designed by me, and graphics by dukestreet. As for the actual "store" section, that is being run by the server admin, who won't let anyone else touch it.

It's still rough, but the idea was for us to hand it off to the person running it so that they could maintain it and make additions/changes with little experience in HTML.

The site is legit, and several members have already had great experiences buying from them.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

GC is in its infancy - more will be coming along in the near future - it might be a good idea after seeing these comments to have b2tm post a thread asking for opinions and ideas.

As for the graphics - well, they're ok, we're working on improving things a little - and the content comes directly from the man himself, I just put it up there. If you see something wrong, let us know - cause I agree if there is a spelling error it really looks bad.

As for the Intelt - well, it does come with a 533MHz system bus - it would be nice if Apple stopped playing around and got some real dual channel RDRAM and something other than 167MHz bus.

And they saw the error and fixed it - too bad.

D

10. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

This new banner is a lot better than the old one, but "Airport" in the banner is technically supposed to be written "AirPort."

Hey, that makes me wonder: Is GC hiring for the position of proofreader? ;)

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I understand from what you and others have said so far that GC is highly reputable, but perhaps it would be advantageous for the site to reflect this fact to a greater degree, so that those not familiar with this fact are not scared away by the site design and not-the-best grammatical style etc.

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wow, I go away for a little while, and it seems that there is bit of a discussion about the site.

Alex,
    It is a new site. We are going to continually update, and upgrade the site. The store part of it is all java applets and is secure. They are going to change as the site continues to grow. When you consider that the site went up in one day, and then Rower, Cleo, and Duke all worked on it to get it where it is now in only two days, I think it is really good.

The ads that Duke did were his first banner ads, and IMHO are the cleanest and best looking ads on the net in that size. We are a legit company, we have been in buisness for 7 years, and have continued to grow. The site is selling systems, and we are selling Macs at a good clip, and that is what matters right.

So, let me know when you want a new Mac, and I will hook you up.

B2TM

13. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Hey smartass. As Clapton says, "Before you accuse me..." I spy at least one missing period on your homepage. Gasp! You must, therefore, be an untrustworthy and shady person. Yuck.

Seriously, though, since when do we base business transactions (or judge the quality of a product) on the slickness of a website? If you have questions about the owner of a business, for chrissakes just ask instead of making baseless (and potentially hurtful) comments to others.

Blah.

14. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I think if you went back and actually read what I said instead of reading two sentences and then flaming me (which you must have done, because clearly nothing I said could have possibly been construed as anything but constructive criticism phrased as tactfully as humanly possible).

And Eric Clapton is a wanker.

Cheers,
    Alex

15. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

dude.. the guy scored wth a beatles wife... then wrote a legendary song about it.

how is he not cool ;)

clapton is god. musically he is one of the best living guitarists and he runs a nonprofit foundation for drug and alcohol, treatment.

Plus.. If i'm his age and scoring with 30 year old chicks.. i'll be happy :)

but wanker is such a technical term :)

16. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I don't know, he used to be cool when he was in Cream and the Yardbirds and stuff... now he seems so old and tired to me. IMO he is, in terms of pure technical skill, the best guitarist to ever live, even better than Jimi, but I so wish he would haul the dual Marshall stacks back out and teach these nu-metal kids today how to play!

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have no idea who Clapton is, so I won't go there.

alex, nobody gets it right the first time. If anyone does (especially with web designing), that person probably has special powers. :rolleyes:

Sure, you pay attention to the detail and mistakes and look for the bad things in a site. That makes you a pessimist. Being a pessimist isn't a bad thing when you take note of it or make a reference to it. But you give the title "pessimist" a bad name by commenting on these mistakes with a plain immature comment: "Is GC hiring for the position of proofreader?"

Instead of commenting on the bad things, why not bring some support into Backdawg's effort to support the site. I took a look at the prices a few days ago on the iPods PLUS engraving, and they are listed below what a supermajority of 3rd-party Apple resellers have it for. Compare this with MacMall, MacConnection, MacZones, ClubMac, or any other place you can think of, selling an unused model iPod plus engraving.

The site may seem to appear negative, because of not being professional, but, tell me sunshine. :rolleyes: When you compare eyelikeart's first avatar with his newest, they become more professional and less "Whoa! What the...". (No offense, big eye. :p) GC shall become better over time, so don't make a big deal about it. You're turning into the AlphaTech of newbie site designing w/o the temper. :rolleyes: :)

18. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Not the evil Kewpie!! :eek:

19. Choppaface macrumors 65816

was that an edit? o_O

20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Doesn't need to be discussed, and Alex would never have said what was said knowing the whole situation.

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

now if alex doesn't quit his sh*t...I swear I'll bring out the kewpie doll and sick it on his ass... :eek:

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

To make this even more dreadful, it's almost impossible to bring down whatever a moderator does! :eek: :D :p

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the edit was a deletion of text, no addition - let it go.....

D

25. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

That is right. Sorry for any hurt feelings.

As for the design of GC's site and banners, I was only trying to offer my criticism in the most careful way I could. I mentioned what I thought were weaknesses in what I saw. If nobody ever paid attention to what could use improving, nothing would ever improve. Apparently I wasn't careful enough, though, so no offense intended to anyone, and if any offense was taken, I'm sorry I didn't make myself clearer (or say anything at all). But everything appears to be under control after all, so, there ya go.