New Philips Invention Good for iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gkarris, Jan 22, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Article:

http://www.news.com/

Philips device could force TV viewers to watch ads

By Candace Lombardi
    http://news.com.com/Philips+device+could+force+TV+viewers+to+watch+ads/2100-1041_3-6062861.html

Story last modified Wed Apr 19 13:34:08 PDT 2006

An invention from Royal Philips Electronics prevents TV viewers from switching the channel during commercials or fast-forwarding past commercials when watching DVR content.

Viewers would be released from the freeze only after paying a fee to the broadcaster. The freeze would be implemented on a program-by-program basis, giving viewers a choice at the start of each one.

According to a recently published patent, the apparatus could work inside a set-top box. It would use the standard Multimedia Home Platform to receive a first control signal and then respond by taking control of the TV. The MHP would also be capable of sending the payment information that would lift the freeze, as it does when authorizing pay-per-view content.

If implemented, the invention would have a significant impact on television culture.

Many TV viewers are accustomed to the habit of watching two programs at once by flipping back and forth between channels during commercials. Philips' own remote controls currently cater to this habit with a button that automatically flips back to the last-watched channel.

The proposed apparatus would also aggravate children who use DVRs to zip through commercials to maximize their weekly TV-watching limits, set by parents. Some DVR technology even lets viewers watch one channel while recording another.

So, why then, would a television manufacturer risk angering its consumer base? Philips says: Don't shoot the inventor.

With this technology, it was the company's intention to develop a new paradigm for the watching of on-demand television, not to force people to watch commercials, said Caroline Kamerbeek, communications director for Philips International.

But according to Philips' U.S. Patent No. 20060070095, the apparatus would do just that. The device:

"1) prevents a viewer of a direct (nonrecorded) broadcast from switching channels when an advertisement is displayed and (2) prevents a viewer of a recorded program from fast-forwarding the recorded program in order to skip past advertisements that were recorded with the program. A viewer may either watch the advertisements or pay a fee in order to be able to change channels or fast-forward when the advertisements are being displayed."

Within the patent itself, there is a paragraph recognizing that the feature may anger television viewers. The writer of the patent warns that viewers may become confused by the freeze and blame the set-top box manufacturer employing the device instead of the authorizing broadcaster.

"We just provide the technology. It's up to the broadcaster to decide on how they use the technology," Kamerbeek said. "The invention gives viewers a choice to watch an entire movie with or without ads. You need both options in order to make that happen."

The patent was disclosed by New Scientist.

Copyright ©1995-2007 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

2. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Pay to skip commercials or just pay iTunes to download it commercial free?

"Things that make you go hmmmmmm....."

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You have got to be frickin kidding me :mad:

Ive got over 100 channels at home and all thats on the ******** is adverts. I rarely watch TV now because I am sick and tired of watching the same irritating adverts for personal injuries/loans/mortgages and debt management crap.

If this gets into the mainstream I will personally hunt down the anus licker who invented and break his frickin legs.

What a twat!

Sorry this is a strong response but this stuff REALLY gets me.

EDIT: And if anyone does a Michael Winner "Calm down" I will skin you alive then throw salt at you while wearing your skin as a coat. :D

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Phil Tuffnell: "Loans. I know nuffin' about loans."

Me: "Well get the f@ck off my TV then!" :mad:

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Well, I'd watch even less TV than I do now then!

6. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

7. bartelby macrumors Core

If it's fitted to cable/satellite decoders or in TVs you won't have a choice.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Because it's shiny, and comes with a 160GB drive for recording every re-run of Cops as it's aired.

And it won't be a choice, all or nothing if you want cable.

9. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I heard also they can retrofit the code in many current DVRs such as digital cable, satellite, and TIVO...

You may have already bought one...

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Surely this is illegal? Making people watch things is surely against Human rights or something? I would just turn off the TV every time adverts came on... I mute them now anyway.

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, right. :p

13. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Actually, the comments on the news site, people saying that it is. The content provider (cable, satellite) is not public. You're paying them to deliver to you service. It's up to them what they deliver to you. If you don't like it, don't subscribe...

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

this won't be applied in real life because the same coding system that would allow a cable or sat company to "force" you to watch commercials (a tag that says "I'm a commercial", for example) would allow a competitor to have a "smart DVR" system that removed the commercials from the recording for you based on the "I'm a commercial" tags.

Besides, they'd much rather just put the commercials on during the show, so you MUST watch them. Whether it's those annoying (and increasingly large) "up next" adverts that pop up on most channels or in-show product placement (logos are screened onto generic products in post-production, sometimes subliminally!), the commercial break is probably going to be phased out over time.

Staples has very effectively purchased their way into The Office (U.S.). You can't skip over the commercial when it's a plot element in the show...

15. USMaC macrumors member

USMaC

Off topic, I know, but I just had to say that I love the name and I love the quote. Mind if I use it? It will give me an alternative to my old standby, "I'm going to rip off your arm and beat you with the bloody stump.":D

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If implemented, the invention would cause me to cancel my cable subscription and pirate all the shows I want to see, even though the experience wouldn't be nearly the same.

It's ******* ridiculous, not being able to change the channel? What if you wanted to watch something else?

All too many NBC shows have in-show advertising now. FOX has started doing it too... it sickens me.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

19 years and counting without broadcast TV or cable and lovin' it still...

18. thestaton macrumors 6502

I agree if something like this ever happened I would cancel tv service and just download what I want to watch off of bit-torrent. commercials are getting out of control these days. When I had DTV any time commercials would come on the volume would go through the roof.

what I want to know.

why do we pay for tv only to have to watch commercials? what are we paying for?

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Good question since most programming now is total crap. It's sad that I watch more Star Trek these days than I did when it was new! (Thank you Spike and SciFi). Ironically, my favorite channel is TCM which has no commercials.

The thing I am most tired of is all the sex/sexuality on tv. If I wanted to experience that I would have sex with my own wife! The only reason it's on is because people nowadays have absolutely no talent. How hard is it to come up with a reality tv show? My point exactly.

20. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I doubt this will come to pass. From a recent Engadget article about new FCC rules:

I suppose the cable co. could integrate this into a cable card, but I really don't see that happening. Is it even possible under the cable card standard? It seems like it would have to pass through the FCC. And even if it didn't I don't see the cable companies and cable box companies implementing something that would piss off all of their customers. As much as it seems like the cable co. hates you, they don't hate you that much.

**The above is clearly US centric**

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If this ever were to happen, the uproar by consumers would be enough to get the cable companies to listen. I don't think they want that kind of publicity.

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

no you got me scared:eek: but you way of dealing with this problem has a certain appeal....

23. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The commercials subsidize the programs. When you pay your cable bill, you don't pay for the programming, just the creation and maintenance of the cable network. The companies that buy commercial time are the ones that pay for the sets, the actors, the cameras and everything needed to make a tv show. That's why the shows are so terrible/lowest common denominator. They want the money they paid out for the ad to reach as wide an audience as possible.

I skipped a step concerning the individual networks (ABC, NBC...) but it still all comes down to who pays for what. Laundry Detergent X pays for The Young and the Restless. Mrs. Goldfarb pays to get TY&TR piped into her house. If Mrs. Goldfarb paid, I dunno, double? triple? to cover the costs of making the show then she would be able to insist on not seeing the commercials.

This is why his Jobsness likes the iTS. You get what you pay for, and no extra - including commercials asking you if "you're not feeling so fresh".

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

C|Net must be short on news to dig up something almost a year old now. I'd swear that we even had a thread on this somewhere.

I can't imagine who will push such an item to the market but I can see a lot of people avoiding Philips products.

25. gstorms macrumors newbie

the simple solution is to not buy a philips tv