New Phishing Scam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MongoTheGeek, May 9, 2006.

1. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I just got a somewhat real looking email claiming to be a user feedback from eBay wondering why I hadn't sent the item, they had sent me the money.

Yeah... I don't ebay.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I get a dozen or more of those a day.

I don't eBay anymore either. It's a scam hole.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i dont think ebay is a scam hole.

i mean, you obviously know what to look for and NOT do.

so why knock eBay...where I can make tons of money selling complete junk to strangers?

and thats not sarcastic!

5. MongoTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.

Swap meet. Its like eBay without the phishers and scammers.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

It is anymore...I've heard too may horror stories (and from smart people) about not egtting stuff, PayPal account getting hacked...I just dont' even bother anymore. I have no trust in the security of the transactions there at all anymore.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Never have got an email like that.

But I know people who live off e-bay and have been for 3 years and have not gotten ripped off once. Its a matter of doing research really. If you take the time you will be fine, people get all scared because some Joe Blow bought a Apple iMac 3000GB HD, 2000GBRAAM!!!!!1111 and the seller just registered.

9. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've gotten that e-mail. Too bad I stopped using eBay over a year ago. Too many scams, too many people misrepresenting their items - it's too hard to tell the deals from the scams anymore.:mad:

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

um. no its not.

examples please?

i mean, seriously, too good to be true is a scam, whats so hard?

11. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Ok, maybe I worded that incorrectly. Here's one example. I wanted to buy some replacement headphones for my iPod. The listing that I found was complete and included a picture of the actual item - not just a screen grab (or so the seller claimed) - they were legit headphones in the picture. The actual item I received was a knockoff. I did get my money back, but the whole process took forever, and paypal goofed up when they were trying to credit my account, as well.

I realize this is a dumb example, seeing as those headphones are worth next to nothing, but it's the first one that came to mind. Like I said, it's been a while since I used eBay.

Furthermore, too good to be true, in my experience, wasn't always a scam. I used to be able to find expensive scrapbooking supplies for less than half their retail prices - and they weren't knockoffs. Now, I have a harder time judging the ads to tell if the items are legit or not - the scammers are more creative.

I didn't mean to offend you if you really like eBay, but I don't use it anymore.

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Ebay's fine, you just have to be more careful. As a seller, block bidders outside the US, and with less than zero feedback score. Then use the option that PP payment is required before they can win. You can set these under your preferences in "My Ebay".

No more scammers, no more dead beat bidders.

Most of the cashier's check type scams are from people outside the US (Nigeria, etc.)

Edit: The above is just for sellers. Personally, I would not buy anything on ebay unless it looked like the seller was in the US and made his living at it (i.e. power seller with thousands of positive feedbacks).

13. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

The last time I used ebay I tried to buy a t shirt. I paypal'd my money to the (power) seller, someone who actually has a brick and mortar store but uses ebay as a supplemental outlet. They recieved my money, then mailed my purchase to the wrong address (I don't know who they mailed it to). Then, when I asked about the whereabouts of the shirt, the seller contacted paypal and claimed that they never recieved payment for the item and tried to get paypal to take more money forcibly out of my account. I then informed paypal that I did pay for the item (THROUGH paypal, that was easy enough to prove), but never received it. The seller was then able to "prove" that they had sent me the item by giving paypal a tracking number saying that the item had been delivered (to some random person on the other side of the continent). I was out $25, never got a shirt. Never used ebay or paypal for anything again.

14. iShane macrumors 6502a

I get emails like that sometimes too. I also get ones from Paypal saying that I need to send them my "updated information." :rolleyes:

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i only use ebay to buy from powersellers and then only for stuff that cost less then $50 (cables, remote controls). if i get scammed i at least can live with $50 loss.

for everthing else (e.g. mac's, popular items of any kind) it's not worth the risk. if it's a really good deal it's a scam. if i save only 10% then i'd rather buy from the store.

on top of that i'm simply tired of searching through tons of ridiculously overpriced offerings and obvious scams.

it's just insulting to see that the sellers think the buyers are a bunch of stupid morons who buy a used computer for 10% above retail:rolleyes:

16. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I HATE phishing. Thanks for the heads up Mongo

17. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i get the paypal one constantly... and i have never used paypal... :p