new phone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mac7911, Aug 19, 2005.

1. mac7911 macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2005
    what I currently need in the way of portable electronics is an organizer, a media player (music and preferably (but not completely neccessarily) video), and phone functionality. I do not necessarily need all these features in one device, but it would be nice to have all of them in two devices at the most. What combinination of Mac-freindly devices will help me to get all of these features in two or less devices? I am in the market for a new phone, but I have also heard that apple might come out with a PDA or phone or smartphone soon. Should I wait to see if apple pulls through, or just try to find a good combination of current devices to meet my needs? Thanks for any help you might have to offer.
  2. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    Well for smartphones there is limited choices. There is the Treo 650 (dont know if its the right number) And the new Sony Walkman W800 Misic phone. Or the iTunes phone (dont know much about it.)

edit: And all you would need for these is a bluetooth module for your Mac. I think all of them except the Treo are bluetooth enabled.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The Treo 650 has Bluetooth, though the 600 doesn't.
  4. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
  5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    The audiovox SMT5600 is the way to go it seems. Though you'll need extra software to get it to work with your mac. Other than that, Nokia provides a few smart-like phones such as the 6230, but that one isn't isync supported (yet).

Anyway, the 5600 is probably the best phone on the market today. If only the motorola MPx was available.
  6. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2005
    I still use my Sony t608 with bluetooth, works great. iPod for music. For video PSP(belive me it's worth it). Yes it gets heavy carrying multiples, however it works for me.

7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    For syncing with a mac sony ericsson phones are the best.....try the k700i it works really good with iSync...

8. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
  9. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    I so badly wanted to like this phone!
    Almost bought one twice!

Terrible software and user interface unfortunately! Moto really need to sort this out! I'm still hopeful that the upcoming range of iTunes capable phones might have a better UI... fingers crossed...

otherwise I will be sticking with Sony Ericsson phones. Good size, sync with my PB perfectly, and they look great.
  10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I think the t616 is also in the way of a smart phone isn't it?