new phones in iSync? (from Tiger)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lind0834, Apr 26, 2005.

1. lind0834 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2003
    Before I go off to buy Tiger, and a Cell phone... can anybody tell me if Apple has updated iSync in Tiger to include more phones?
    Are any of the compatible phones free ones I can get from signing a 2 year contract with Sprint or Cingular?
  2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    On the second question, it's pretty unlikely. Most isync phones use bluetooth. and few bluetooth phones are given away free.

That said, bluetooth in a phone is well worth the price.
  3. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Although, I cannot offer much help I can relate to your situation.

The only Sprint phone listed on their website that works with iSync is the PalmOne Treo 650, which probably wouldn't interest you from the sounds of it. It doesn't interest me.

I'm already a current Sprint subscriber and will have Tiger tomorrow. Last time I was in the Sprint store they said they had three models that worked with iSync. Yes, three, I don't know why they don't have all of their offered phones on their website. One was the Treo 650 and the other two I didn't care for the physical design, neither were flip phones which I prefer. iSync works with Motorola v60i/p/s/t/t color, which are nice fiip phones, but of course Sprint only offers the v60v. Why?!?

I don't even care if it is BT or USB to sync, any flip-style phone offered by Sprint that works with iSync will do. Does anyone know of such a "Wonder Phone"? I realize I'm asking for the impossible here.

I don't understand why the iSync phones seem so limited, how hard can it be? You would think each phone manufacturer would have a defined way of communicating with their phones. Why can iSync work with Motorola v60i/p/s/t/t color but not the v60v? I know asking questions like this is rather pointless. I'm just frustrated becuase I've been searching for months. It shouldn't be this difficult to find a phone with your preferred form-factor, the carrier you like and the features you want (iSync compatibility).

I hate the carriers, they limit the use of phones to a ridiculus level. You have to buy ringers through them (I don't, but wish I could copy MIDI's or MP3's to my phone). They are fighting iTunes because they want to deliver all the content and make money. Plus, they are all in bed with certain phone manufaturer's so you can't pick the phone you want and the carrier you want in many cases. On Sprint's website they have 1 Moto phone, 1 Nokia phone and 3 LG phones. All of the rest were Samsung and Sanyo. (I didn't include the Palm and PPC devices in that count). This never bothered me as I really like Samsung phones, but now that I want to use iSync, I just seem to be screwed.

Any suggestions for US carriers that have a nice iSync compatible flip phone? I like Sprint, but I will leave if I cannot get what I want. If no good flip phones, then ANY good phone that is not a Palm/PPC device? I would like to sync my contacts and calendar. To Do items would be nice, but not a requirement for me.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
  4. macboi1981 macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2003
    Sony Ericsson T637

I recently switched over to Cingular from Sprint. I was able to get a Sony Ericsson T637 for $20.00. The phone syncs with my iMac G5 effortlessly. I use it to sync my calanders, contacts, to do lists, transfer files (pictures & ringtones), and I have used it as a wireless modem. I have owned a few different Sony Ericsson phones and all of them have had very solid bluetooth performance.
  5. macboi1981 macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2003

Lack of bluetooth/iSync phones is why I left Sprint.
  6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    We just recently switched to T-Mobile and got free (after rebate) Motorola V600 phones, which are on the new iSync list - well they were on the old one too, but as USB sync only.
  7. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    I still have a little over a year left on my 2 year contract with Sprint. I don't like CDMA and the phones that work on the network. Also, I hate the lack of bluetooth phones that don't suck. I wish I could get Cingular but there is no service in my area for it. I wish the Motorolla Razr wasn't so expensive and worked with Sprint.
  8. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
    Anything Sony Ericsson is my personal choice. Such quality!

I have a T610 right now, friend has a K700... Both are remarkable phones! With the K700, you can create your own ringtones by just cropping a simple MP3 and send it on over via Bluetooth :rolleyes: I am waiting for the K600 personally! ;)

Oh yeah, it's effortless sync'ing
  9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Even though I bought onSync.. that makes my very happy.

V600 will soon <3 my mac.