New Photos of the Black iPad 5 Front Panel and Digitizer Assembly

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Back in April, a pair of photos surfaced showing what was claimed to be a white front panel from Apple's fifth-generation iPad, showing narrower side bezels as had been rumored as part of a redesign inspired by the iPad mini. A brief video that surfaced over this past weekend also appeared to show the next-generation iPad's front panel and digitizer paired with a rear shell.

Now, a new listing at parts and repair firm Macfixit Australia includes a number of photos of a similar part, which the company's supplier says is a genuine front panel and digitizer for the fifth-generation iPad.

The part shows the same narrower side bezels seen in previous leaks, as well as a pair of flex cables running along one of the long edges of the panel and ending in connectors in roughly the same location seen on both the current iPad and in the leaked photo from last weekend. The connectors are different from those seen in current and previous full-size iPads, but Apple has been rumored to be making a number of technological changes in order to achieve the smaller form factor expected for the upcoming iPad, revisions which could necessitate a significant change in connector design.
    Stamped on the front panel is a part number of 821-1892-02, which matches the format used by Apple on many of its iOS device components.

Apple is expected to introduce the fifth-generation iPad as soon as next month, with an updated iPad mini rumored to be following fairly soon after.

(Thanks, Martin!)

Article Link: New Photos of the Black iPad 5 Front Panel and Digitizer Assembly
  2. macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2011
    Guy that took the picture may or not be screwed since you can see his reflection.
  3. macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2012
  4. macrumors member

Sep 29, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    What he should have done was photoshop Tim Cook in the reflection making it look like Tim took the pic.
  5. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2010
  6. macrumors 68020

Apr 2, 2008
    computer parts NEVER leak. don't get your hopes up.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Oh god, I feel awful that you can see his reflection. He's selling these photos to make a little money since he works for pennies, but he is likely only viewing these pics on a mobile and doesn't realize he's sending his reflection. I bet he's going to be in a world of hurt over this.
  8. macrumors 603

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere
  9. Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Sometimes we get leaks of more than just parts of upcoming Macs.
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2012
    Looking forward to the mini 2 with retina (hopefully)
  11. macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2013
    One of the funnier things i've seen here.

I feel for his family. :eek:
  12. macrumors 65816

Nov 29, 2009
    Sold my 4 already looking forward to getting this :D
  13. macrumors 68000

Jul 10, 2012
    The original retina MBP enclosure leaked..

And iPad's are computers too :cool:
  14. Guest

Not much that you can make out in that picture except that he appears to of Asian decent. Good, we've narrowed down the perpetrator to 3.5 billion people.
  15. macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2011
    if he works at Foxconn, that narrows it down to about 20,000
  16. macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2011
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2013
    Not all 3.5 billion are male and work at Foxconn. I think that this guy could be identified because of the clarity of his facial features in the image.
  18. macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2012
    He looks Indian.
  19. macrumors 68000

Feb 5, 2008
    The place where Apple designs stuff
    Anyone think there will be a price reduction? All these other tablets are getting ridiculously cheap...
  20. macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2011
    They are cheap for a reason.

You don't see Audi or BMW dropping their prices because other cheap cars come out do you?

They drive and get you from place to place just like Audis and BMW's do. But we all know there is something called the driving experience and the design/make/materials/look of the car.

Now apply that here to tablets.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2013
    I think that he's Chinese or Korean.
  22. macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2011
    damn that's racist.... maybe he's a alien disguised as a Asian for f sake.
  23. Guest

Who says he didn't break in to a Foxconn factory, take a snap, and make an exit? As for whether being male or female, it could very well be a well-done rubber mask. In light of this, I guess I'll have to revise my estimate up to 7 billion people.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2012
    He looks like any chinese guy I've seen. The picture is not clear enough, you don't know his height, or any real distinguishing features.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Apr 5, 2011
    The competition uses the underpowered and fragmented Android operating system, laggy motion controls, and poor resolutions.
    So, yes, the other tablets ARE cheap. That's for sure. :p