New pictures of the iMac G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vitruvius, Nov 30, 2003.

1. vitruvius macrumors regular

its been a long time since the last time i created my last mac mock up, well. tonight was kind of inspired so i modeled this based in the "headless" iMac rumors, also looking for a way of not loosing your monitor everytime your Mac gets obsolete.

hope you like it :)

Vitruvius

edit: orthographic problems and lcd image fixed

Attached Files:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not so sure about it, to be honest.

BTW, it's "lose" not "loose".

3. imtechr macrumors newbie

I'm all for the idea of keeping the monitor and ditching the obsolete equipment however I'm still a fan of the models that look less "Dellish". Perhaps an aluminum version?

4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

5. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

i love it. I only wish this was out now. I would go buy that this instant. If that was released it would IMO hands down be the best looking mac in the current line up. God that looks cool. ANd i love the headless design.

6. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

That would be cool if that's what the new ones looked like. Everyone would buy one!

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i really like it. you always do great mockups vitruvirus. any chance you could ge on ive's team?

8. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Why is the desktop back to front?

Nice design though, although i don't know how you'd fit an iMac G5 in that frisbee thing :D

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I like that new design. Like the titanium look, the metal look seems to be the new trend. To me this is preferable over the current design. I really never cared for the white look.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

very nice, whats the lifespan of a LCD monitor? anyways nice concept but i have to say when you start talking of 17 wide, 20 inch and bigger screens do they need to be in the air? at this size there is no longer a need to have it on a arm. its time to can the all in one imac and make it a consumer tower. if apple needs a all in one so bad just pull out the crt in Emac and put in a lcd. nice concept but i like the concept that was shown before the new G5s came out. it was a headless mac with a big screen that had ports built into the sides and had a Enya track to go with the flyby of the computer. it also had clear acrlic plastic at its 4 corners and slide out hard drives anyone remember this concept? this would be a good place to post a picture if anyone still has it.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

sorry technical difficulties,

Attached Files:

12. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

yeah but did you see that scale of that one? If oyu look at the size of the hard disks in that model the machine would be huge, i still have the video if anyone wants it.

13. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

thats probably the first mock up I've ever seen of any "upcoming" mac that I actually like. Mostly because you didn't just mac the monitor detachable, you made it fully functional if you got rid of the cpu and wanted to go with a tower instead, which is something missing in many people's ideas. I like the idea of still having an all-in-one design but where the monitor is separate. Apple gets a lot out of such a design, they can make things cheaper, as people can still use old monitors or upgrade easily later without having to spend the extra money just to rpelace a perfectly functioning monitor, and maintain the non-upgradeable form factor which makes things cheap and encourages upgrading to a new machine instead of just upgrading piece meal. I'm quite impressed. and apple could easily do something so that the whole monitor line was like this, saving them further costs of not having to have separate designs for monitors for the consumer and pro lines.

14. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

here's a pic

Attached Files:

15. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

an interesting design, but i have a few comments:

the texture is too dark and too shiny, i think, for apple's style. it should be more aluminum and less chrome, IMO.

i don't like the UFO feel very much--i think it should be more domeed and less sharp.

the separable LCD panel is cool, but it kind of counteracts the whole philosophy of the iMac.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

thank you , that was what i was talking about though the picture doesnt do the screen justice. a very cool concept and if the G5 would have been this i would have gone in debt for it.thanks again amnesiac1984

17. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Re: New pictures of the iMac G5

Awesome design and idea, but theres no way a g5 system can fit in there. (yet)

18. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Thats an very busy design for a computer. Its definitely not something Apple would make; more like what a 15 year old would make with their spare time and a crack version of Lightwave. Its waaaaay too busy, unrealistic, and takes up too much desk-space. It is definitely an example of design before function.

peace

19. cubist macrumors 68020

Right, the flat disk is too flat. Remember that a drive, 15 cm wide, 20 cm deep, 2 cm high has to fit in there, plus power supply, cpu, heatsink, fan, RAM...

Can you try a flat cylinder shape with a grating on top and maybe a space underneath for airflow?

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

maybe so but remember when the new G5 came out people where like that is ugly as hell. cold hard 50's steel doesnt bring out those warm fuzzy emotions like the original crt imac did.

21. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I want one!

I would immediatly buy such an imac! It's breathtaking! Bring it on!! Ever applied at Apple as an industrial designer Vitruvius? :p

22. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

What the .... is it?!?! That's really ugly...:( It looks like something from Ghostbusters part 17 or something :D

23. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

here's a thought for all those people who keep suggesting that apple wants to make all their computers to look the same.

remember in the mid 90s when people began to get confused about what actually differentiated different mac models? well now that apple has established in ppl's minds the metal/pro and the white/i* lines, do you think that they would go back and blur the lines between models? Tiimac? Aluimac? eew. i say just leave the clean white please!