New Pismo Hd Which One????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umrdad, Jan 7, 2006.

1. umrdad macrumors member

i'll be the 1st to admit i'm not especially tech savvy (that's why i'm a member here) but i need a bigger internal HD i'm looking in the 40-100 G range but which RPM? buffer size? models w/bad reputation for failure? hey guys and girls hook a brotha up w/some info . . . thanks in advance

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hitachi laptop drives are great. 5400 RPM's (And 7200 RPM) and with 8 MB's of cache. Just pick a size that you want

3. umrdad thread starter macrumors member

Rpm

is there a noticeable difference in speed between 5400 & 7200 RPM drives once installed? the small difference in price is worth it to me if it makes everything go faster running stock 400g3 but will have 550g4 within next 2 weeks

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've run both in desktops and the difference wasn't major. I wasn't really worried about heat and power usage though. The 5400 will run cooler and use less power.

5. umrdad thread starter macrumors member

what about cache?

seen everything from 2-16 mb caches advertised . . . is bigger better?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Depending on your application and desired price. 8 MB is my minimum across the board for drives.

7. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Personally, I like western Digital hard drives... I have never had one break down yet , and they are quite and have good reviews on newegg.com... Check out http://www.macsales.com for a drive compatable with your prismo. The prices are good and the shipping was fast( I bought ram from them and it came in 2 days)