Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I got the message
Thank you for purchasing from the iTunes Music Store.
Your music is valuable - please back it up in case your
computer fails.

[ ] Do not show this message again​
from iTunes after downloading a tune last night.

I don't remember seeing it before. Is this message new? When did it start appearing?

Attachments

• iTMS-thank-you.jpg
    iTMS-thank-you.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 93

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks! I did do a forum search before posting, but without finding those threads, probably because people put a picture of the text instead of typing the words. I typed the text with future forum searchers in mind. But I also posted the picture in case you didn't believe me! :)

That still leaves the question of why some of you saw the message 6 months ago and I got it for the first time yesterday, even though I download from iTMS regularly.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
It was pulled quickly, like, the next day or so. I couldn't remember all the details, so I Googled it and found the details here. Seems it didn't erase all HDs, but some people did lose a significant amount of data. Kind of embarrassing for Apple.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Maybe this message appears only when Mac OS detects that your computer is going to fail soon, and that's why we see it so rarely. How thoughtful of Apple! :D

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I saw that message for the first time when I set up an account for my dad and we bought about 30 songs. Maybe the message comes up when a certain amount of songs are purchased? I thought it was pretty cool too.

The next day, I bought my 250gig HD and backed everything up. I swear, it had nothing to do with iTunes telling me to...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Kingsnapped said:
Maybe the message comes up when a certain amount of songs are purchased?.
Scratch that theory. I got the message on two different Macs with two different iTMS accounts, starting the same day. One has many more tunes than the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.