New PM making odd noise?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Josh, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

During normal use, my new PowerMac has a very consistent and normal sounding hum.

But sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, and when idle and not sleeping, the PM's sound becomes unconsistent and goes up and down in about 10 second intervals.

It will be running, and it will sound like it's about to go to sleep...there will be a slight "click" sound, and then you can hear fans wind down and get quiet...then suddenly it "clicks" again, and the fans wind up and get increasingly louder.

It then continues to do this quiet-to loud-to quiet process indefinitely until I begin using it again.

It sounds like an interchanging powering down, then powering up, kind of thing. It's hard to explain.

It sort of does this (imagine the text below to represent the level of sound):

````````*click*----------..................*click*...........-----------``````````

(not sure if that makes any sense, but it's the best I could do).

It kind've sounds like it's trying to sleep, but doesn't quite get there, then powers up again...waits, then tries again.

I've got it set for my 56k to disconnect at 55 minutes of idle, and my PM to sleep at 1 hour of inactvity. I've noticed since I've had it that neither one has ever happened on its own.

Any help/info/advice is greatly appreciated!

2. sakasune macrumors member

Macs, since they are built on Unix, run processes at night that clean up logs files, optimize the drive (Windows term is defrag), etc.

I don't know if this would be the cause of the noise but I've noticed before sometimes my processors would be up in the 40-50% region when I'm not doing anything, and a look at the Activity Monitor would reveal the Unix processes that were running in the background.

3. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

^ yeah, sometimes it goes up when I think it's doing that.

But this up/down sequence is very regular - too regular to be from processes running, I imagine.