New PM's graphics card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vtprinz, Apr 27, 2005.

1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Ok so they've FINALLY been updated, though it's pretty meager. I'll probably be picking up the dual 2.0Ghz model. However, I don't know about the graphics card, the 9600 (not XT).

Is it worth the $45 (edu) to upgrade from the 9600 (128MB) to the 9650 (256MB)?

I don't do any 3D or video work, mainly audio and photoshop, so I don't know if I'll actually see a benefit.

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to graphics cards, so what do you guys think?

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Honestly, $45 is NOTHING to DOUBLE your VRAM. I would HIGLY recommend you take advantage of this. Personal computing (non-professional) will progress in the next few years, and you will NOT regret having spent $45 - it will make a big difference in the future.

3. Bear macrumors G3

I'll second the upgrade to the 9650. A lot of things happen in VRAM these days.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Uh...am I crazy or has Apple dropped the 9800XT and X800XT? I don't see them anywhere on the Apple Store. G5s can only be configured with the Radeon 9600, 9650 or GeForce 6800. The Radeons are not offered as kits in the "Displays" section either. :confused:

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The 9600 card is a bye-bye to ADC.

Should still basically be the same card as the XT without the legacy ADC port.

Of course Apple has basically dropped ADC on the duals with this update.