New Polio cases in US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dave00, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Dec 2, 2003
    New Polio cases in Minnesota Amish

For anyone who was even considering not vaccinating their children based on fears, this should give you pause. Please, please vaccinate your children. I take care of several people who have had lifelong disability from polio infection. Polio had been eradicated in the U.S. If people continue to vaccinate, it'll eventually be entirely eliminated, like smallpox was. If not, we might see this ugly disease make a comeback.

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Given all the problems occuring around the globe and the latest possibility of a bird flu pandemic, it would be dreadful to see polio gain even the slightest foothold since all it takes to keep it at bay is being vaccinated at the appropriate age. It can be difficult spreading the word to groups that are isolated in many respects from neighboring communities and distrustful of government officials.
  3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Polio was going to be eliminated 5 years or so ago. They had it nailed down to a few 3rd world countries and they had a massive vaccination force ready to go. There were some wars, there was a lot of FUD, possibly spread to eradicate certain populations, saying the vaccine was intended to eliminate them...

Oh well... I've had my polio vaccine and my son has had his. Maybe when the time comes for him to have kids, they won't need it. Just like he didn't need a smallpox shot.
  4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    Who cares if the Amish die out.

They dont contribute to mainstream society anyway, and dont even want to.

Leave em be.

They dont want to be vaccinated, you reap what you sow.

Those who place religious beliefs above personal health arent helping God at all.

Like God WANTS you to suffer with diseases that can be treated.

Like those who refuse blood transfusions because they will burn in hell if they do. Eventhough the burning in hell would be put off by possibly the rest of their lives instead of dying in a day.

Now these amish people have to make wooden and rope wheelchairs. IMO, got what they deserve. Sorry to say it. No wait, im not.
  5. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    Uh... yeah. The Amish deserve to die out because they don't contribute to mainstream society. They should get with the program. Burn lots o' hydrocarbons. Get over this "don't wanna kill people" nonsense. Heck, they prolly don't even care about Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie, what kind of priorities they got?!

I mean, sure diversity's great and all, but diversity we approve of, come on!

(Sarcasm notice, just in case it isn't obvious.)
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    We shouldnt want harm to fall on anyone but its clear religion is screwing with these peoples minds. I just cant fathom the return of Polio in the year 2005. Here comes another Law to spell out something for those idiots who just dont get it. Immunizations have saved Billions of lives and thats a fact jack! Get Immunized! get your kids immunized. Thanks for the heads up Dave00, Polio can be prevented and soon cervical cancer :)

Disclaimor. I use to run an Allergy /Immunization Clinic at a Naval Hospital. If i gave 1 shot i must have gave thousands........
  7. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    Interesting thing is, looks like the outbreak originated with a vaccine, albeit not one given here. (Not to argue against people here getting vaccinated.)

Looks like polio might make a comeback in the U.S., along with TB.