New Power Mac G5 Contains Pioneer DVR-109 Double-Layer Burner?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fiercetiger224, Jun 4, 2005.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    I have a few simple questions. If possible, whoever has ordered a new Power Mac G5, can you check what drive manufacturer and which revision number the new drive has? I've heard that the Dual 2.3 and Dual 2.7s have the Pioneer DVR-109 drive.

I recently purchased the DVR-109 drive at for $47! And I hope if the new Power Mac G5s did ship with this drive, that I would be able to that firmware and flash it to make it "Apple Supported/Shipped".

I have the drive now, and it's quiet and has excellent speed. I have it installed in my Shuttle PC and works like a charm. I haven't tested the 6x Double-Layer/Dual-Layer burning yet. This is also one of the first drives to support Dual-Layer as well. :-D

So any information would be greatly appreciated!
  2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    You wont have to flash it if you want to put it in your g5 pioneer DVR-109's are compatible as they will allow you to boot from them. The only thing you will have to do to enable full support is install Patchburn which will allow you to burn from finder, itunes, idvd etc....
  3. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Hmm Patchburn? What exactly does Patchburn do? Is it a program that flashes the firmware?
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    no, patchburn basically changes the status of the drive to "apple supported/shipped" and lets you use it, hassle free in any program.
  5. deebster macrumors 6502

Oct 21, 2004
    Olde Englande
    Patchburn adds a small 'deviceprofile' file to your main Library which tells OS X that your drive is supported.

If I'm not mistaken it will change the status to 'Vendor Supported' (well it does on my old Samsung) but whatever it says is by the by if it works OK. And it will.

a w00t! for Patchburn