New Powerbook 12" (Anyone Have One?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Abraxsis, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I placed my order for a powerbook 12" on Sept 4 and seeing they still hadnt shipped they upgraded my order to the new upgraded Powerbook,which was a very nice thing to do in my book:D . Im wonder though does anyone here actually HAVE a new upgraded 12" PB in their poscession? Or is anyone here in my case with an upgraded order already in shipment? The site says on or before this comeing Thursday. Man I hope it ships this Thursday seeing my original order was placed on the 4th of this month.

Anyone?

2. Lord Bodak macrumors 6502

I placed my order on the 10th and it is also scheduled to ship Thursday the 25th.

3. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I ordered mine on the 10th and it is scheduled to ship on the 26th. It's a BTO...my new 40gig iPod is waiting in its box...

4. ProcrasT8 macrumors newbie

I've been looking to get a 12" PowerBook for a few weeks now and I decided to wait until Mac Expo in Paris to see if there would be any announcement for the PowerBooks. Boy, all that waiting sure paid off. I checked the Apple website on the September 16th and lo and behold, there it is! Needless to say, I placed an order right away on the same day itself. A few days ago, they've posted an estimated shipping date of on or before September 25th for my PowerBook. I hope it gets here by the end of this week... :D

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

placed my order for a combo BTO yesterday and I've got an "on or before 10/1" date. I don't have a good feeling about that though... :-/

6. Abraxsis thread starter macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I wouldnt expect it for a long while. I placed my order on the 4th of this month and they just moved me back to the 3rd of Oct. Im seriously pissed, one month???? That is ridiculous, if you cant produce machines faster than that you shouldn't be in business. Apple shouldnt release products unless they can fufill the demand they are going to create. Im a first time Mac buyer/switcher, and I like the idea of OSX being stable and UNIX based seeing I am a long time user of *nix/*BSD and I really wanted this computer. But if they move me back again Im cancelling the rest of the order. Ill take my 1400.00 bucks elsewhere.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

my order got bumped too... was 9/25, now 10/3.

:(

8. Lord Bodak macrumors 6502

It's new hardware and you have to accept that it may not be immediately available. When the new 12" was announced it was clear that it was not yet available and the dates really were estimates.

Mine was also bumped from 9/25 to 10/3. But they did upgrade me to overnight shipping-- too bad 10/3 is a Friday.

9. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Abraxsis,

How would you have felt if they shipped a Revision A 12" Powerbook to you? You probably would have recieved it the same day as the Paris Expo and been very disappointed to have the older version. It's only two weeks and I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Looks like they upgraded my shipping too... cool! ("Bestway")

As for your question, Pixelfactory, in my case I did order the Rev. A Powerbook so I was fully expecting to get a Rev. A. I knew I took a risk ordering it the week before the rumored new updates came. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Apple had cancelled my order and replaced it with an updated model... BUT, I would have been able to live with my decision had they kept the order at a Rev. A. Had they done so, I'd surely have one by now... even if not, I could have picked one up yesterday while I was browsing the university campus computer bookstore.

I guess in the long run I'm content to wait the extra week or two to get the updated model, but it does annoy and disappoint me. I realize the position Apple is in, but I am becoming aware from reading these forums and Usenet that this is very common for Apple. They really need to make it really, really easy for people like me to switch. I would prefer Apple delaying the announcement by a week, and then allowing people to get "instant" gratification, than these announcements and misleading ship times that jump back. I was really looking forward to having my first Apple computer arrive by early next week.

I mean, this isn't a trivial cost. I work hard for the money I'm giving Apple (which appears to be MUCH more than I would ever have been comfortable giving Dell and Microsoft), I want to see it being used well :)

Here's hoping for next Friday.

11. alxths macrumors 6502

Noooooo... this means my 10/1 ship date is most likely more like 10/7ish...

12. Abraxsis thread starter macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I also knew that I was taking a risk by ordering a few weeks before the rumored upgrades, and I was acceptable with that. Im pleased that Apple took the liberty to upgrade my laptop, but Im more ticked with the fact that someone released a new product, AND listing 5-7 day ship times when it is blantantly a lie. Tactics like this makes me wonder about the health of the company, not the quality of their product. It may be a cheap shot but Apple did have to be bailed out with money from Microsoft which owns a big chunk of Apple now. Im basically saying that as a former computer buisness professional I find it unethical and unprofessional to tell someone about a product you can't deliver in a reasonable amount of time. And no, I dont think a shipping upgrade is proper compensation for a 1800.00+ purchase being unreasonably delayed. I guess my opinion comes from the fact that Im not a Mac "zealot" and I dont like waiting when I dish out so much money.

But, Im keeping the iPod.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm not despairing until they actually move my ship date. Here's to hope! :)

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, to each his own. But if I were you, I'd be thinking that I was far more happy with the upgrade than I was unhappy with the ship time.

As to the "microsoft bailout," that was quite a few years ago now, when apple was really floundering. As of now, I believe that Apple is one of only two computer makers (Dell is the other) to be making money. And Apple has been profitable for quite a while now.

Also, I think that the money from MS was not for stock, but part of an agreement where Apple said it would use MS products (such as IE).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I really don't think MS owns a big part of Apple.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, M$ does not own Apple. It was an agreement between the 2 where M$ invested in Apple in exchange for Apple using M$ software, and so that Apple wouldn't sue them for copyright infringement. They later sold their stock (profiting greatly from the deal BTW) and the agreement ended. Or something like that.

I realize you want your laptop now, but you'll be getting it in a few weeks. And you will be very happy with it. You may be able to get a discount with Panther, but you may not. We don't know yet. Could be worse. You could be waiting for the next version of Windows... in 2005. And who knows how much it's going to cost.

If you call Apple and complain enough about your order taking so long (but be nice) you may get some kind of freebie and/or discount. Probably at least free upgraded shipping.

16. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I'm really tempted to buy a 12" for its weight and portability

anyone wanna convince me?

:D

17. doubting_me macrumors newbie

Convince on the 12 inch

Yeah, I'll try to make a quick go of convincing you.

I currently use a rev. A titanium, and quite frankly it is a great machine. Still has some power (though I have upgraded the ram and harddrive) and is only one inch thick.

However, when you get a portable you want it portable, and carrying this thing around all day with a thin shoulder strap on a briefcase can get tiring and it doesn't always sit well on planes and other cramped spaces.

Well, what about the 15 inch monitor? When I am web surfing, emailing, using iTunes, iPhoto or writing, I don't use the 15 inch. When I am using photoshop, dreamweaver, iDVD, etc. I need more than a 15 inch. By my use, the 15 inch is a bad compromise.

Being an educator I can get a superdrive 12 inch for 1599. I then can get a 17 inch Samsung LCD with DVI connector for around $500. Now, I have a monitor solution for all the work I do. Granted if I had to do large amounts of photoshop or dreamweaver on the road, this wouldn't be good, so I am not trying to get into a debate about what machine is better. I'm just saying if you look critically at what you do, sometimes the 15 inch is a mistake.

There are plenty of scenarios where the 17 or 15 inch is better laptop for a certain person, I'm just giving an example of usage the 12 inch fits nicely.

18. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

My 12" powerbook order has been put back to 3rd October, so much for having for the beginning of the university semester. Apple did this to me before, I wiated over a month for my 15Gb ipod a few months ago. I am fed up of checking my order status, It comes when it comes, I will just have to use my Wintel PC until it comes!:mad:

19. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

same here, my 12"superdrive just got pushed back one week to oct3rd :mad:

20. rvance macrumors newbie

My new 12" PB Combo arrived!

OK, this is my first post to Macrumors...and I bring good news...

My new 1Ghz 12" PB Combo arrived today. I got it through a university store, but ordered it several days after the Paris keynote. Not sure I understand the order in which these things are distributed, but it's a beauty, and everyone who has seen it is jealous.

So far it's running great...

21. Abraxsis thread starter macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

well I have decided to wait. I am going to call and complain though, especially seeing that I have been waiting a month and Ive read that certian Apple Stores already have the 12"ers on their shelves.

As for the whole MS thing, yes MS owns a part of Apple. Not normal stock, corporate stock which is different and gives MS a vote in corporate affairs. By no means does MS "own" Apple, but yes they do own a portion. This was one of the points brought up by the DOJ during MS's antitrust hearings, the fact that MS has their hands in one too many related cookie jars.

22. miradu macrumors member

MY 1 ghz superdrive 12 inch was scheduled to ship to ship on the 25th, but was moved to 10/3. However it shipped on the 27th, and is currently going through custums in alaska.. estimated delivery date is oct 1st though! :(

23. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

if you check the information that Apple sends you when you buy some of their stock, it doesn't list Microsoft as being any type of major stockholder, common/corporate or otherwise. If you look back at the DOJ investigation of MS, I think that you'll find they were pointing out this "agreement" that they had with Apple rather than the fact that they had any type of voting stock or anything like that

24. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

if this wasn't the case, I don't see how their agreement could expire, if they owned a certain amount of stock and this is how that agreement came to be

25. punter macrumors 6502

yep, i'm waiting for a 12" combo too. I went to the shop (in Australia) the day after the conference and they said they had them already ordered.

They reckon Oct 1st. I hope so! so close! Although today is a public holiday here so it could be slowing things down.