NEW powerbook accessory advice please...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NewMacConvertee, Oct 23, 2005.

1. NewMacConvertee macrumors newbie

I just bought a new powerbook 15" (MY FIRST MAC EVER!) and i'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good bag so i'm able to tote this thing around with me. I am a student so i really need a lot of extra space for my books and such. I've come across a couple of shoulder bags on Apple's website, but it's hard to tell much from a picture. Anyone ever used an STM or Timbuk2 shoulder bag with their laptop? How's the durability, storage capacity, etc.

One other question - how well do the Kensington notebook locks work? I'm always away from home with my laptop and have never worried about it being out of my sight while out in public (because it's an old piece of crap Toshiba). With my powerbook i will be much less inclined to just leave it lying around out in public. Any suggestions?

2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

My Kesington lock and my old Acer worked fine. Didn't have a chance to try it though (greatfully). With my Acer the lock hocked up to the metal "skeleton" inside the outer shell. If that is the case with the PB I can not say. But if it is, it should be pretty hard to break IMO.
    But every lock is breakable. See it as a timedelay the theif has against him.

3. BlueT macrumors member

Don't bother buying a specific bag. There aren't that many to choose from and you get more options if you buy a sleeve (like one from MarWare, for instance) and then buy any bag that fits the sleeve.

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

5. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Your best bet is to buy a nice big messenger bag, then buy a nice soft zippable sleeve so you can just chuck the PowerBook in the bag, along with your books etc.

6. madtodaimax macrumors member

i put it in a zippable puch i bought at fry's for about $20. that is put in my northface bag with my books. nothing too fancy, but its simple and it works.

7. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Take a look at Booq, but stay away from their Mamba series.

8. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

9. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Timbuktu bags (specifically the Commute) are beautiful and tougher than anything. They have a very snug, corduroy-lined pocket that is the exact right size for a 15" PowerBook.

If you've been persuaded away from a full bag, get a Timbuktu sleeve. They're the best too.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've got a STM Rebound sleeve for my Powerbook and then put that into a Targus messenger bag. Works pretty great. Check out radtech.us to order the sleeve. Great customer service from them when I picked mine up from them since they're located 20 minutes from me.

11. fklehman macrumors regular

fklehman

I got an Incase neoprene sleeve from Apple.com for my new 15" PB. Before that I had used a Port briefcase solution for my Pismo, and I'd gotten sick of carrying it by a handle (the Pismo weighs like 8 pounds, it's a heavy bugger). I keep the sleeve in a backpack, which is nice because then I'm not advertising that I'm carrying a laptop. Also nice because I'm carrying the weight on my back instead of on one arm. But you have to decide what works for you. I've sued a notebook cable lock before; it's useful for keeping honest people honest and against casual, grab-and-run thieves. But it won't stop someone with a cable cutter or if they REALLY yank the computer you could maybe break the cable out at the case (?).

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

13. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I absolutely love my Brenthaven backpack. Tons of room durable as heck and guaranteed for life. It also is very understated and doesn't scream "I have over $4,000 in gear in me." I had a Waterfield (sfbags.com) messenger bag but it hurt my shoulder too much when traveling long distance with tons of gear. Gary at Waterfield is very nice and was kind enough to refund my purchase - great customer service. If you travel a lot get a backpack instead of a messenger bag.

I hate to pimp another forum here but this link has tons of reviews of bags: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=178702

14. lopresmb macrumors 6502

I've got the timbuk2 messanger bag, commute, its awesome, really well made. YOu also might possibly want to look at the commute XL if you need a little bit more space.

15. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Check this out:

[​IMG]

Janal Cases

INTRODUCING THE INCREDIBLE G4 POWERBOOK CASE

This elegant case is a mere 2 1/8" deep yet holds everything you need with your new Powerbook 12", 15" or 17". Also available for wide monitor PC laptops.

16. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I have a Brenthaven bag for my PB, and while I love it, very tight fit, good organization, space for all the cables, there's virtually no room for anything but specific computer accessories. They're a bit expensive too, so I'd go for a larger bag from timbuktu etc. that you could fit your school stuff in as well.

17. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

What Brenthaven do you have? My backpack can hold a ton of gear. When I'm on the road I usually have:

PowerBook 17", 2 Lacie D2 250 GB HDs, 1 60 GB Lacie pocket drive, Canon DSLR, Power/networking cables, a few magazines, notebooks, pens, etc. etc. etc.

You can cram a lot of stuff in the Brenthaven backpack and while it gets very heavy it never feels uncomfortable. Like I said before, I'm not a fan of messenger bags - they kill my shoulders after awhile.