New Powerbook, battery format.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by patriotn11, Apr 29, 2004.

1. patriotn11 macrumors member

New Battery Drain...........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey

I'm waiting for my new 17" PB, everythig else has been delivered except the 17" PB

It said on or before the 3rd of may, do you think it could be sooner, if so how can I be sure. 04-29-04 it says it shipped from Shanghi today, I used the fastest shipping 2-3 day, I'm hoping sat or mon, :confused:

Also when I get it, how can I prepare the new battery so it will hold the best charge.

Michael

San Antonio

2. powerofthekiwi macrumors member

it says this in your manual - but I'll tell you now :)

charge it until it is full, then let it run until the computer forces it into sleep, then charge it fully again

your all set!

3. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for your quick anser,

Michael

San Antonio

4. citizenchunk macrumors newbie

heh heh heh... seems like i did everything wrong. i didn't charge it up first. i just let it deplete to zero, then charged it up all the way. but then i read another forum post about this, so i let it deplete again, and charged it up again.

do you think i totally ****ed it up? :D judging by your battery life, as someone who reads the effin' manual, how much life should i be expecting?

5. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Its fine. The battery calibrated itself on the second try, no harm causd. The important thing is just to do the calibration once in a while.

6. Teronke macrumors member

My experience with Powerbook batteries is that you have to ensure that you fully charge and almost fully discharge the battery until its capacity reading stabilises. You can check the capacity of the battery by running Terminal and using this UNIX command:

ioreg -l -w 0 | grep IOBatteryInfo

Until the capacity reading stabilises DO NOT short charge the battery i.e. by leaving the Powerbook hooked up to the main.

You'll find that after a while the capacity reading levels out and remains pretty much constant.