New powerbook: Black Plastic or Metal case?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacTruck, Aug 25, 2005.

1. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

What would you rather see the new powerbook made out of? Silver metal like aluminum or black plastic like the powerbook G3s? I'm kind of partial to black plastic myself. Less scratches and more durable.

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Very very cool and smooth rubber. That you could dye special order any color you desire. The problems with cracked and scratched cases on pbs is a sin on Apple's part. There should be a "crash" factor on laptops like how our car bumpers are rated. Any drop from the shoulder level to the ground should be free from damage.

3. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Why not black metal? I like the way the consumer and professional lines are differentiated by their enclosure material (plastic vs aluminum) and it would seem strange to abandon that now.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Black plastic may be durable but it also makes for an incredibly un-trendy computer. Apple's not going there. And rubber? Ha!

I seriously doubt they will be moving away form metal since heat dissipation depends on the metal design so they can keep the thinkness and weight down. It will be interesting to see though. I think we're still at least a year away from a new PB design.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Maybe in the future we will see certain apple products go to a black colour scheme but for the mean time they seem quite content to keep the pro-line in silver, but whose to say they dont have a re-design in for us at Paris.....

In my opinion though i think they will wait until the intel mac's are released before doing any major design overhaul's to any of there products,

ShadOW

7. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Black, orange, lime green ?? Looking anodized aluminium... Would be awesome :)

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Ugh, please, anything but black plastic! After the Titanium and Aluminium this would be a huge step backwards. The newer powerbooks just look sooo much more elegant than the G3 powerbooks. Sure those G3s have nice curves and all, but the material just looks and feels cheap. Maybe someone else sees this different, but that's my oppinion... I'm very happy I got my 15" pb now (which looks soo pretty in my eyes) cause if they really release black plastic pbs again I hope I don't have to bye one!

9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

It would be cool if they could keep it aluminum, but do like a black matte finish. Kind of like the iPod minis.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm hoping the professional line remains aluminium, for several years. I find them perfect.

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Yes, please. ;)

12. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Just a silly question: what's with the avatars with blue curtains? Does it mean you're going to Paris?

Either way, I hope they keep it adonized aluminum, but have different colours, like the iPod minis. They should also make the regular iPod adonized aluminum. Actually, they should make everything adonized aluminum. It's way better than acrylic.

13. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Black is good. Though not black plastic of any kind. That's just way to common.

14. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

Aluminum! I think it would be cool if they were color like mini iPods, but I don't see that happening since it's the professional line. I agree with those who don't think we'll see a redesign until the MacTels come out.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We need something rustic, durable and sturdy, how about cast iron?

I can't see them changing from aluminium for a while to be honest. :)

16. dcv macrumors G3

Keep them aluminium please!

Black plastic will end up looking horribly cheap like the Thinkpad i have to use for work. eeeugh.

I like the white look of the iBooks, but the feel is just so wrong.

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

gloss black carbon fiber would rule, think ibook white gloss in black but powerbook thin and styled.

18. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

No Black, black is way to common. I like the Aluminum!

19. K2` macrumors member

20. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

21. CTSxViper macrumors regular

I agree with Aluminum. It makes the Powerbook stand out above all other Laptops. HP has gone with the Aluminum look Plastic on a lot of their models but there is no comparison. And I honestly like the look of the Ibook.. White is cool.
    :D

22. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I sure hope they don't go with black. I think most black electronics are downright ugly. Especially laptops. The aluminum look is perfect I think. I wouldn't mind a styling change, but I hope they keep the aluminum.

23. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Something extremely durable, thatsall I care about...

24. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

My thoughts exactly.

JOD8FY

25. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

i vote for that