New Powerbook doesnt sit flat...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dasper1, Apr 21, 2005.

1. dasper1 macrumors newbie

I just recieved my new 15" Powerbook G4 that I ordered off the Apple Store online and am very happy with it except the fact that the lower right corner seems to be a 1mm high when lying on a flat surface, although I think can live with it now, I'm wondering if its worth RMAing back to Apple since I don't really want to ship it back out, and if this is a minor problem regarding laptops.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is the lower-right corner the part of this powerbook where the battery is, or the opposite side? You might try pulling the battery out and re-seating it to see if this improves balance. Also check to make sure that there are rubber feet on all four of the corners? If they are missing, they can easily be replaced at an Apple store for you.

3. dasper1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The corner that is off is the one that's under the superdrive (not the battery) and it appears that the rubber foot is there like the others...the laptop sits well on the other 3 corners...

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

try everything stated here, also try a few flat surfaces just to make sure. Sounds like your bottom case is a little warped though. Call Applecare they should replace it for you.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Almost anything that has four legs will always sit well on at least three of them! ;)

I would still try the battery thing, though -- it could be more that the battery is lower (closer to the table, therefore hitting it before the superdrive side), rather than the superdrive side being high.

If it seems like it's warped, prolly ought to get it fixed.

If it's not such a big deal, hmmm, there are pretty easy ways to fix 1mm in something like that. You could probably use a nail file to sand down the rubber on the opposing foot 1 mm if you really wanted to, later. :) And it'd be a cool battle scar story to tell. :p :D

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My 12" used to do that. Over time and usage, they wore themselves even. :rolleyes:

7. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I find that with my 12" PB, it too will sometimes not sit flat on a surface. I suggest trying several surfaces that you believe are flat. For some reason (it may be because the feet are so small), unless it's on a very flat and level surface it will wobble. Hope all turns out well.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

My 12" Pb was the same also, but now that all 4 feet are gone it sits ok :D

Thing is though, I rarely use it on a flat surface unless its on my desk on the coolpad.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I happens more often than one would think. I sent mine in to Apple, and they fixed it bottom cover. Whole ordeal only took 3 days total. I was pretty impressed.