New Powerbook & fan problem...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by victor_patv, Feb 12, 2005.

1. victor_patv macrumors member

I recently received (yesterday) my new 17" PB, and it's awesome and quick (even though i'm going from a dual 2) the one thing that I'm finding hard to overlook is the fan.
    It is constantly on, is this standard for a PB? If so it is a really annoying feature in a pro machine,
    Thanks for any help you can give me,

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I was thinking of getting one myself. Now I'm a bit concerned. By "constantly", do you literally mean 100% of the time, or just annoyingly often?

3. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

constantly

the whole time the PB is on and not in sleep mode, i'll definitely have to return it if it stays like this.

oh, an important part of information is probably that it didn't make this noise yesterday, and then it just suddenly started making it today.

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Try a search of the forums.....
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=108656

Unless you install a temperature monitoring app, you can't tell if the fan is legitimately on or not. What is the ambient temp where you are? Is the machine on a desk, or do you stick it on a cushion on your lap?

5. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly

that this being a new model, there might be some new information pretaining to defects.
    This unacceptable fan behaviour occurs whether the computer is cool to the touch or room tempature likewise with the desk vs. lap.
    Where would I find a tempature app?

It's really starting to get under my skin, I love macs but this is a fault I can not live with, so hopefully there's an easy fix.

(Edit) And it also occurs whether no apps are running or every app.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Open Activity Monitor and make sure you don't have a rogue app that is hogging all the CPU cycles and causing the fan to be continually on.

7. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

that's where I checked,

For how many apps were running,

Under all processes Camino and Activity Monitor are currently trading back and forth for top spot, this is crazy, it's some sort of Phantom fan, arrrgh,

This is getting frustrating (the noise as I type, other mac's at school) still hope for an easy fix.

(edit) installed a temp app and it showed this,
    25.0℃ 24.2℃ 23.2℃ 22.0℃ 28.0℃
    Processor/Controller Bottomside Processor Bottomside Power Supply Bottomside TRACK PAD SMART Disk ST9100823A (3LG08TF7)

(2nd edit) a possible change between today and yesterday was the update from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8, on these forums and a link to macfixit.com this has been cited as a problem.

Please if you have a rev.D powerbook do not update until this has been investigated by someone further.

And is there a way to revert to 10.3.7? to check this internet rumor...

8. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    According to sources you encountered a problem appearing after upgrading to MacOS 10.3.8. As a workaround you may try the following:

In the Energy - Options Menu set Processor´s power scheduling from "Automatic" to "Maximum".

Apple seems to have changed management of the fans - they apparently intended to decrease fan activity. For some reason sometimes the opposite behaviour is encountered.

Hope, this helps

Greez Max

9. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

No fan noise on mine

I got my laptop last week and I've experienced no fan noise, even when I was working with it on my lap. It was really hot but it was never noisy. Also I upgraded to 10.3.8 and have experienced no change in the fan noise.... How loud is the fan that is in yours, is it faint or very noticable?

Nuc

10. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

As your pb is so new I assume you haven't yet filled it up with lots of your personal files etc, so would it be possible to wipe it and do a clean install? That would take it back to 'factory fresh' condition and you could then monitor the fan activity more closely.
    If you've spent the last 24 hours tweaking all your settings, loading programs and transferring data from a previous machine then this might be a daunting task....

On my iBook (10.3.7) the temps are:
    25 / 45 / 45 / 43 / 42 (battery/processor/GPU/power supply/ disk)
    - yours seem to be much lower, probably because the fan is on all the time. I think i agree with the comments made by Loki.Mephisto, who hints at a software problem.

11. beaster macrumors member

beaster

Same boat

I've got similar issues with my brand new rev. D 12" PB G4 (mentioned in a separate thread before I saw this one). Fan kicks in as soon as temps get into the 120 F range. Doesn't take much to get into that range - just basic web surfing and some iTunes. "top" shows nothing unusual - processor is mostly 90% idle or better. Load average is low.

I'm assuming the cooling algorithm was tweaked when they upped the clock speed in the 12", but I think they went overboard. It's really annoying to hear the fan spin up when I've just barely started going.

I'm running 10.3.8. Is there any way to adjust the temp threshold for when the fan kicks in?

Thanks,
    Sean

12. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

My temp., are fine, and

I'm just back online after doing an archive and reinstall, would it make a difference if I do a clean erase followed by reinstall?
    This is crazy I've always thought my friends with cheap laptops with fans that whirred up for no reason were crazy to put up with that cheap wintel crap (principally dell and no name brands, [the IBM, Toshibas, even Compaqs all sounded normal]).
    I'm reaching the end of what I can do, or think of for that matter,.... :(

(edit) to answer those questions, it's loud and constant, I'd expect it if I were doing heavy video work though so it doesn't sounds broken.
    And to Loki.Mephisto I tried changing the proc., setting to maximum and it had no affect,
    I really don't understand how an archive and reinstall hasn't fixed the problem, I guess I'll try an erasure and reinstall and see if that works...

13. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that.

According to MacFixIt (check out: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050211031322495) your´re not the only one encountering Problems.

The good message is: you don´t seem to have hardware problems.
    The bad message is: for now, there´s no fix except downgrading somehow.

So far, is there a possibility to downgrade? I mean, if you´re reinstalling from CD you can´t upgrade to 10.3.7 only - you have to upgrade to newest rev or not at all, correct?

Greez LM

14. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

I found the following posts on some mac-related site:

"Acting on a tip posted on xlr8yourmac.com, I installed the 10.3.8 combo update again and set my Energy Saver prefs to "Highest" CPU performance. This appears to have solved the fan revving issue. "

"It is counterintuitive, but some people have reported setting performance settings to High instead of Automatic in the Energy Saver System Preference fixes this problem. Apparently 10.3.8 defaults to Automatic, although one would think Automatic would reduce fan noise."

Yours

LM

15. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

Even after

Even After Runnning the Mac Hardware test I'm not to sure i don't have hardware problems.
    I downgraded to 10.3.7 (archive and reinstall) after looking at all the responses and the fan has not stopped. Does a clean erase install have a better chance at success then an archive and reinstall?
    I'm running up against a brick wall now, i'll be contacting applecare in the morning (does anyone happen to know their Canadian hours?) with everything I've done very well documented. It's just, I have to go back to school tommorow and I doubt they'll do a pick up and replace from school.

If I can't get this fixed I hope the turn around on a new unit is not too lengthy.

16. clairjones macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem when I bought my Rev B 12". THe fan was on full constantly, except when off or at sleep. I put up with it for a while trying out different things like those suggested, nothing worked. Took it to an Apple reseller, they sent it to Apple and diagnosed a faulty fan chip.
    Possibly the same prob as yours, I would suggest taking it to an Apple store/reseller.

17. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

thanks man,

But I think I have to through Apple Store online, maybe next time Ill look up a brick and mortar reseller, they seem to have their strong suits.

18. clairjones macrumors newbie

Give them a call. Hope you get it sorted out!

19. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

Update,

Just thought I'd post an update on my PB story,

After spending some time with the Apple Tech ppl and working my way up, I've been told to take my PB to an Apple Certified Store, even though it's only 3 days old!
    But it's not too big a deal because unlike my home town (Collingwood, Ont) my school has an acceptable store within 15 mins. Hopefully they'll be able to remedy the fan issue. And just so everyone knows I love macs and have never had a problem with my Dual 2 Ghz.

p.s. This board is so much more helpful then the official apple support boards or even the apple tech ppl, thanks for all the help you guys/gals have really helped :D

20. VicMacs macrumors 6502

i hear you

i know what being loud is.. it sucks...

Proud ex-owner of an original PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz Mirrored Drive Doors (MDD) aka "The Windtunnel"

now that was annoying....

:)

loved it though... so quick...

21. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

You are still within the 30 days of free phone help from Apple. Give them a call right away.

22. wide macrumors 6502a

23. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Are you guys sure that you aren't confusing the sound of the internal HD with fan noise?

I'm asking because I've recently upgraded from the 17" 1.33 to the 15" 1.67 and did notice that the "whirring" sound seems a little louder on the newer PowerBook. However, after booting my 17" I noticed a similar sound (though slightly less pronounced). This could be because the 17" has a 4200RPM drive and the 15" has the newer 5400RPM drive. Or, it could be the placement of the HD that makes it seem louder. On the 15" it is centered under the trackpad, whereas on the 17" it's left of the trackpad.

I visited http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/54/images_large/28.jpg and looked at the placement of the 15" fans. I held my ear to the right and left sides of the keyboard (where the fans are placed). I could hear the "whirring" sound, but not nearly as loudly as when I put my ear to the trackpad (where the internal HD is placed).

I could be wrong, but judging by where the sound is most pronounced, it seems to be the internal HD and not fan noise. Anyone else have any comments about this?

24. donniedarko macrumors regular

You have 7 days to return it, I would and just get a new one if it wasn't BTO. Also the fans activate at very close to 120F. I bought an iBreeze stand and it keeps my stuff cooler by 5-8 degrees atleast.