New Powerbook G4 Noise!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lapdance Jockey, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Lapdance Jockey macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

just got my new powerbook G4 - i actually posted a thread a few weeks back asking you all to convince me to switch BACK to the mac - and im very happy so far.

It arrived yesterday and i did all the routine things -

my question is: When i hit the space bar to wake it up it makes this wierd noise over the cd drive. like a disk spinning up but with a pretty loud whine and grind then everything is silent and works great.

is this normal?

everything else seems to be working great

thanks

Jockey :cool:

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

What size hard disk did you get? I've read the 100GB disk drives are a bit noisy for some folks.

3. Lapdance Jockey thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Undecided macrumors 6502a

I noticed it too on my new 15" PB (combo) that I bought yesterday, and woke up this a.m.

5. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I'm on my second Aluminum PowerBook and i can tell you that the sound you're hearing is totally normal.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

When I wake up my PowerBook 1.67 GHz 15" I can hear the hard drive spinning up but it isn't loud at all.

7. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

It's isn't the hard drive. The sound we're talking about is the optical drive.

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

103.23234% normal

its just the thing waking up - no worries, enjoy your little beauty

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Okay the noise I hear here I always thought was the HDD, if it's the optical drive that's cool to - it's still not loud and not something I'd noticed until I read this thread :)

10. Lapdance Jockey thread starter macrumors newbie

no this sound is loud - like clanking

and it makes one sound when i open the lid - which is less noisy

but then makes this loud sound when i hit the space bar to just wake it up if the lid is open already

again - from you i guess this sounds normal - also - when i put a cd in the optical drive it really gets going - lots of noise when just inserting the disc - but maybe this is just the mechanism.

:rolleyes:

11. andrewfee macrumors 6502

It's perfectly normal. :)

The reason it's so noisy when inserting/using a disc is because the Powerbook is so small / thin. In a desktop PC, or even bigger laptops, there's a lot more space for the noise to go basically.

12. rive macrumors newbie

is your new PowerBook noisy?

I got my new PB last week. 12" 1,5ghz, 1.256G 80MB
    It is definitely more noisy than the previous one. I do not have any of those weird sound you mentioned but a continuous noise like a small fan. but it's not the fan. When the real fan starts it's really loud. This noise comes from that grill in the lower left corner, below all the plugs. You should say "it's the fan". I reapet it is not. Is it possible that the fan is always on and sometime it start to run faster? This also makes a sort of vibration in the flat part on the left of the touchpad. I'm going to bring back my laptop to the store for cheking this trouble, I just ant to know if it's just of my laptop or you can recognize te same in yours? I really hope it's just mine! In that case they will replace it. I could not stand a brand new laptop with such a noise!
    Thanks all for your suggestions
    Rita