New Powerbook G4 trackpad problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Icespiker, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Icespiker macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2005
    I had recently purchased one of the new 15" Powerbooks. Its a 1.67GHz model and I had used a mouse with it and used the trackpad infrequently. Not until I was on a business trip when I was using it, I noticed at times that the trackpad was unresponsive. It seemed like it was only after i was not using the trackpad for a more than a minute or so, that it would not be responsive, then after about 30 seconds or so, it would work just fine. Anyone have the same problem or any solution to fix it? BTW, I still love the Powerbook, its a great machine and hopefully, the trackpad issue is can be easily fixed. thanks.
  2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    This has been a heavily reported and written about problem. check out this

I am on my second PB because of the issue.
  3. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    Also, apple's "fix" is to put your whole palm on the trackpad for a few seconds then in one swift motion remove it. This "resets" the trackpad - at least for a while (sometimes it lasts for hours, sometimes minutes)
  4. Icespiker thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2005
    Hey, thanks for the info. So, according to what is written, I should return it to the Apple store for repair/replacement but most likely still have the same problem after I would get it back. So, what should one do in this case?

btw, the article notes that some people have been recieving static shocks from it. I thought it was just me, but I'm almost afraid to touch my powerbook, cuz it gives a static shock almost every time I touch it. I know static shocks are bad for electronics, so, is this a reported issue as well?
  5. Lapdance Jockey macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2005
    Valley of the Sun

i've had my PB for about 3 weeks -

the trackpad will work just fine. then if i let it sit for awhile when i go to use it again it wont move - or it will move a little - or just to one side - then after about 20 seconds its perfect again

sounds just like ur problem - discouraging that there's no fix

off to the apple store i go.... :cool:
  6. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    try looking here

I am sure you can get Apple to replacce your PB if you hold firm. But, no, there is not a guarantee the new one will not exhibit the same flaw. It seems the majority of PBs are free from the flaw.
  7. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Mar 23, 2005
    Slow trackpad on PB

I am in the market for a Powerbook + external display. I was in the Manhattan Apple Store, checking out the stuff, and the first thing that I noticed on the Powerbooks was the awfully slow cursor movement.

Setting the tracking speed to fastest in System Prefs, did little to speed it up (normally fastest is too fast, IMO). I'm not sure how long to hold out to see if there will be a coming PB revision where this issue will be resolved.
  8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    To those of you with rev. D PB's, how widespread is this?

I'm thinking of buying a new PB, but now I'm thinking of getting a used Rev. C because of all these problems.
  9. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    I've had two Rev.D Powerbooks and neither has had an issue with the trackpad. :)

(the first was replaced due to cosmetic damage when I recieved it)
  10. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Interesting you had cosmetic damage. I just collected a BTO 15" that arrived yesterday at my dealer that replaced a previous standard spec one that had dead pixels and distorted/unbalanced sound and discovered that it had a dent in the upper section of the casing. Both polystyrene sections were cracked at the back , though the box itself was fine. The dealer reckons that the polystyrene "sandwich" had a major knock that pressed both sides together at the back, which caused one of the a/c plug prongs to dig into the powerbook and dent it. Then it must have been placed in a box and shipped to yours truly. Great. This one was made in China apparantly. So now have yet another one on order....sigh.

As for the Trackpad issue I noticed on my first new PowerBook that it started off quite slow but steadily improved over the few days I had it. I think I read somewhere that there is some kind of protective "film" that fades off over time?

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    This has me really nervous about my 17" which hasn't arrived yet...

Why couldn't they just stick with Synaptics? They made good trackpads. Maybe they couldn't deliver or make agreement on the new Scrolling technology.
  12. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
  13. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    The two powerbooks (that includes the one I'm using right now) were 17"

Don't worry about it. There's going to be far more people posting about problems than there will be saying "Fantastic, I got a fully working powerbook!"
  14. Icespiker thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2005

Hey guys, I just tried the 'place your palm on the trackpad and swipe with one motion' solution. Its been working great since then. I'm still testing to see if it will start up again, with being unresponsive.
  15. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004
    I have already had apple replace the whole top assemly (which includes the track pad). Work better but i still have to do the palm reset once or twice a day, and sometimes more. So untill apple really resolves this i will just live with it. I have applecare, so i have 3 years.
  16. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I've been thinking about getting a 12" PowerBook in July.

Do iBooks still have the Synaptics trackpad? I may just get another iBook.