New PowerBook hard drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jensepollense, Mar 11, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

jensepollense

Is it possible to change the 12" PowerBook's internal hard drive with something bigger?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

shu82

3. macrumors 6502

jonharris200

I did an upgrade on a 17" PowerBook a few years ago when the hard disk died.

It took some time and was pretty scary, but with patience, an anti-static wrist strap and lots of Google searches I did it. I had no further problems with my upgraded machine from that point on.

Back then, I couldn't find any one place that told me everything I needed to know - I ended up translating a web page from Japanese! :)

You can certainly do this kind of surgery, just be aware that it's not necessarily straightforward for the average user (like me).

4. macrumors member

If your after speed and not capacity I would run a Hitachi 7200k.
    That is assuming that you don't have tons of data on the disk. I run big drive externally and use a 7200 rpm drive in my MBP. I will be installing a 160 in my MB.

If your drive has tons of data then the density of your data on a 5400k drive is greater than a 7200k drive that is half full and your transfer rates with be equal to or greater than the 7200k drive. I hope I am making sense?

5. macrumors regular

If your hard drive hasn't died i would recommend buying an external :D Much safer.

6. macrumors newbie

Easy to do, but you have to be pretty familiar with what you are doing. If you do, get a Seagate, much better than Hitachi, warranty wise and it is one of the best rated HD also. 7200 120 Seagate Momentus from OWC