New Powerbook-How long 'till Plastic smell goes

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vsp, Feb 27, 2004.

1. vsp macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2004
    Chico, Ca
    I got a new 15.2 Powerbook about 10 days ago. I've used it a bit but whenever I've used it for more than a few hours a good chunk of the house takes on that plastic, out-gassing smell. It's a bit bothersome, especially for my girlfriend.

Is this normal? Can I expect it to burn off over time? I also have the suspicion that it's making me a bit spacy, though that's usually the case when I spend a more than an hour or so at any computer.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I had one of the Rev A. 12" powerbooks for a few months and it took over a month before I quite noticing that smell. I liked it, reminded me that I had a new computer, but I think it annoyed some other people:)
  3. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
  4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    I am assuming the smell is much like the packaging that the powerbook came in. My powerbook had that smell for about two weeks. I think getting it to run hot makes the "outgassing" faster.
  5. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    My PB 17" is now 3 months old - used every day of those 3 mos - it took about 1.75 mos of running fairly hot for the smell to go away. The smell on mine was reminiscent of a pungent mix of cabbage, plastic and musty old socks and NO, it was not my apartment that smelled like that. I know, a strange mix but true - nothing like waking the PB from sleep at work and having that smell permiate the air.