New Powerbook issues ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EGT, Jun 25, 2004.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

hi There
    My brother just bought a powerbook. Its a flying machine, a bit like mine :D
    Anyway, I’m having great difficulty connecting to a wireless network where i work. With my p'book i just had to turn on airport and knock all the proxy settings off (didnt work with them on) and it was fine. I've been using it without problems for a few months now, in fact im on it right now.
    Every time i load up explorer on his machine there is an error saying "The specified server could not be found." I've tried different sites on his computer with no joy but they work fine on mine. I'm sorry to be so vague, i'm not really an expert on this type of thing. Ohh, I set up the same network settings on his computer that are on mine, would that cause any difficulty? … if not what could be the reason for it not connecting up?

Another thing i've noticed is that his screen hinge is super smooth, it opens and closes really gently but mine is so violent. It sticks, clicks, grunts etc like its about to fall apart :( I thought this was normal but im beginning to think its about to give in and dangle off :eek:

Worried EGT... :confused: :eek: :(

Thanks all the same :cool: :)

Attached Files:

2. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

3. Elbeano macrumors regular

I have a 12" combo PB of the newest revision, and in the past few days my hinge has started doing exactly what you're describing. I've been trying to find advice on what to do about it as well, but I've only found people who had similarly problems. The only thing that I've found even remotely resembling a solution is to apply a drop of lubricant, but it didn't say where to apply it. This advice was supposedly dispensed by a Genius, but I'm not sure which store. I'm hesitant to send it back to apple again, because it would be the 3rd time sending it back in 3 months. The first time was to resolve an issue with the latch not closing, or frequently popping open if I did manage to get it closed. It came back a week and a half later, and the latch had not been replaced, only slightly bent. Within a few days the problems were appearing again. I sent it back to apple yet again. This time the latch was replaced, and sent back within a day. However, it still only works about 95% of the time, and will pop open from time to time. The screen also came back bowed (it has the slightly infamous smile when it's closed), so now when it's closed the corners rattle around, and it doesn't feel as secure. So, you can see how I'm hesitant to send it back again. I was going to try to put up with it until I go out to the King of Prussia apple store next month to get my airport express. Hopefully it won't get any worse.

4. davefan6435 macrumors regular

I was searching for a protective case for a powerbook and I found a site that might help you out a little bit. http://www.radtech.us/Products/Glides.aspx this place has what looks like a good solution to this. Good Luck.

5. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Don't worry about sending it back too many times. According to another Genius (unknown store), after a certain number of times, I believe 6, you send it back, they will give you a brand new one of the latest revision. That won't help you much since you've got the latest rev, but anyway...

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

This isn't news i would like to hear because i'm thinking of getting a new 12" powerbook in a few days/weeks. If the latch is annoying...don't wait...send it back right away...you paid good money of your hard earned cash to get the laptop of your dreams....I had a problem with my ipod because all the songs just dissapeared on me...i couldn't put them back so i went down and they reinstalled the OS and said try it again...It didn't work...went back...got a brand new Ipod...no questions asked! Try going to another store...
    My teacher had a 15" powerbook and his latch fell off, apple wanted something crazy to fix it...he did some researched and found a website that sells it and he fixed it himself.
    Let us know wut happens

What's apple policy on dead pixels on a laptop....My brother has 2 on his ibook and its really annoying....