New PowerBook or iBook G4? - Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hsvguy, May 15, 2004.

1. hsvguy macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    I've got a dilemma! I am buying a new laptop to replace my clunky HP and I can't decide what I want. You guys all seem to have good ideas, so i thaught I'd throw this out there. Ive looked at some other posts like this, but they didnt really help...

Its a shootout between a new (Rev. C) Powerbook 12" or a (Rev. B) iBook G4.

I want the PB because:
    - 1.3Ghz CPU, faster FSB then iBook, better RAM, graphics and inbuilt Airport. It also looks damn sexy! But I'm worried about heat issues that Ive heard with this model, as well as people saying the case is easily marked and dinted.

I want the iBook beause:
    Cheap, not that much slower then PB, more durable casing.

So there it is. I need help. the powerbook or iBook? Help me decide. Bear in mind that i want to use this machine for basically everything, from web design and flash, to even a little bit of final cut work.

Any opinions, especially on the new 12" PB are welcome!

Please help me pick!

2. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    The iBook will do basically everything you need it to do...I use my 12" PowerBook(same specs as the newer iBook minus the DVI port) for everything(Macromedia Studio MX,Cinema 4D,Final Cut Express,Photoshop,iLife apps)
    If I had to buy a new computer I would go for the iBook(I prefer ATI graphics and its looks) just because its more durable and it wont be outdated as fast...The PowerBook will get the G5 chip first,so im guessing the iBook will hold its value a little better since it will remain a G4...I may be wrong but you never know. I love the iBook's though.
  3. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    this has to be one of the most popular topics on nearly every mac website i've ever been on!
    i don't own an ibook or a powerbook but i have friends that do and have used both the 800mhz ibook g4 and the new 1.33 ghz 12' ibook. (i havent used the new ibook with increased L2 cache and faster processor.) but i dont think that there is a major difference between the two if you make sure both have at least 512 ram when doing general day to day stuff. however if you start doing anything processor intensive then the powerbook begins to pick up the pace while the ibook takes a little longer.

it depends what you are planning on using it for.

please please please do a search on the forum and look at the other dicussions because as i mentioned at the start this topic, its been discussed alot. everyone ends up saying the same thing over and over.

i think macworld has a feature this month on the entire new apple laptop range, its worth reading and it has some benchmarks at the end of it.
    hope i helped :)
  4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The durable issue is up to ones own opinion (as a user of the PB, I have no issues).

The big issue is that the PB 12" has the option for the SupreDrive, and built-in support for spanning.
  5. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    it really depends n how much money you have to spend. If I was you I would go for the Powerbook as it is perfect for your needs.

The powerbook is Apple's top portable, there is no comparison between the Powerbooks and the iBooks.

aussie_geek ;)
  6. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    is this gonna be your only/main computer? do you have any other macs?

if not then you might want to spend that little bit extra now to get a better computer that you will be happy using for a couple of years.

but if your budgets tight then thats gonna be your main indicator as to which one you are gonna buy. go and play on them in store!
  7. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    They both can have built-in wireless. I'm pretty sure the all the PowerBooks come with AirPort Extreme (802.11g and b compatible) and iBooks come AirPort Extreme-ready (antennas are included, but you have to pay for the card.