new powerbook, or not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eflaten, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. eflaten macrumors newbie

    Sep 9, 2005
    I feel a little uncomfortable buying a new powerbook right now befor the switch to Intel. What are the rumored spesfications for an new powerbook?

    Thanks for any advice

  2. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Actually the majority of us feel more secure purchasing a PPC based machine.

    They are very well proven performers and should last you well beyond the initial Crash Test Dummy phase of the first Intel release.

    The current machines will more than cover most users needs
    with full confidence that support will still be there for many years to come.

    As long as the machine you buy today, does what you need it to do, it will still cover your needs for at least 4 years and beyond.
  3. kimchimonkey macrumors newbie

    Aug 24, 2005

    this topic seems to be beaten to death.
    No one will knows for sure.
    If you don't really really need it now, I'd recommend to wait two weeks.
    Expected announcements are during PARIS Expo.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I would also recommend going ahead and purchasing a PowerBook. Although it would be smart to wait and see if a new PowerBook comes out around the Paris Expo later this month. Most on the forum recommend not purchasing a Rev. A Mac. The current model will perform well until the Rev. B model. That way compatibility issues will be worked out by then.
  5. yg17 macrumors G5


    Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    If you buy an Intel as soon as they come out, you'll be a beta tester.

    I just bought a PowerBook the other day and am very happy. Besides, the Intel PBs may not be out for a couple years, and it may be 3 years until we have a second revision (as you do not want a rev. A)
  6. djkny macrumors 6502

    Sep 30, 2003
    I think the concern (obsession, if you will) is not waiting for a Mactel PowerBook but for a "Revision D" G4 --- the last update to the current Al PowerBook lines.

    Will Paris Expo produce this type of update? If not, I don't foresee any in the near future, at least not this year. Remember last year? An April '04 update, then rumors up the creek about an October refresh to 1.8Ghz. Nothing happened. Nothing, in fact, until a lame, quiet, unassuming update on Jan. 31 of '05.

    Apple, in fact, knows that perpetuating a rumor mill is big business, not only for themselves, but for psychiatrists everywhere --- Mac fiends suffer, no doubt, from OCD complexes. Just take a glance at these forums.

Share This Page