New Powerbook predictions

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Onyxx, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Onyxx macrumors regular

http://macosrumors.com/
    sounds very interesting. perhaps apple has been reading our forums:rolleyes:
    the article says we will see an improved screen and the new lithium polymer battery technology. sounds very much like what i said i wanted to see in the next powerbooks with the with the exception of the superdrive. I don't want to see a powerhungry superdrive in a portable anytime soon.

Hey maybe this will be the rev. i buy! then again it is macosrumors.com

well we'll see in tokyo (or maybe not)

2. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

Hahah. Chances are they sound so familiar to our forum because the MOSR webmaster READS these forums.
    Or who ever his "source" is does.

3. kidtronix macrumors regular

new coating? gross. black computers is so pc, tacky.
    :rolleyes:

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

but...

Yeah, but black anodized metal would be so cool. I don't know if you can anodize titanium, but an aluminum enclosure would be nice.

5. keithcobbett macrumors member

??? What about the PowerBook G3??? It looked good to me.

6. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Black doesn't fit.

A black computer just doesn't fit with the rest of Apple's products. Right now the powerbook fits perfectly. The look is the *last* thing I'd change on the powerbook.

Matthew

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: but...

You CAN anodize titanium, and it is not all that difficult. The process is the same as for most metals, such as aluminum. They commented that they cannot get titanium to anodize to black, which I would believe. Getting annodizing that dark would leave it in the tank for a loooooong time.

I wouldn't mind seeing the chrome version, since I am a confirmed chromoholic. I have gone through the 13 step process (same as a 12 step except the 13th is to revel in the addiction :D) and have come out quite happy.

I can just imagine, a hard chromed TiBook... (droooool) :D THAT could make me get a new TiBook ahead of schedule (originally slated to get a new one in 2 years or so).

8. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Physical dimensions of the superdrive are currently too big to put it into a laptop let alone a G4 ti. They would have to redesign the whole thing, and there has been no indication that Pioneer or any of the new DVDr drive makers believe there is any market for DVDr in laptops. It's pretty cool that we have firewire ones right now.

9. kidtronix macrumors regular

the g3 pb were nice looking, loved them, but i think the g4 pb is a lot sexier, no doubt, so why move back to black?

10. keithcobbett macrumors member

I don't think the question here is moving back to black. The question should be why do you think that the black PowerBook G3's were "tacky"???

I like the new powerbooks and the old powerbooks. They are both very good looking machines that deserved to be noticed. But not considered "tacky".

11. kidtronix macrumors regular

urgh. you're a retalin perscription waiting to happen. i just said i thought black computers were TACKY. i did not say i thought the powerbook g3 itself was TACKY, fantastic shape and look, though i would think it would be TACKY by apple to go back to black. if you read my posts again i never said the powerbook g3 was TACKY. i'm sure you can find nice looking black computers, but none of it can beat the sexy beast of the g4 powerbook.

:rolleyes:

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Apple logo

I think that anything with an Apple logo would be sexy. I think that if the PC world released something that looked like the new iMac, we'd laugh, first of all that wouldn't happen, they're too conservist

13. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

member that trick apple played on us with the ipod.

14. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

if apple does make another black computer...im sure it would be different looking then all the other black computers. nothing to worry about. we wont see a dell look a like comming from apple EVER! apple leads the way in comp design..no matter what color they choose for thier hardware.

dig it!

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I think it would be great if Apple would offer more then one color/case option for the TiBook.

If the recent history of Apple is any indication, whatever they do, it will be done right, and sell well. Depending on what it is, I just might have to bust the bank and get one :D.

16. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

what about the cube? fine piece of machinery, but didn't sell too well.

Anyway, whatever apple comes up next to replace the TiBook, it'll be pretty hard to top the TiBook's design.. it's just so damn sexy!!

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

True that... and the cube was too radical to live for long... Might have been concieved after a night of ganja.

18. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

ha ha! true dat!

nah but uh... thier really wasnt a market for the cube..i hear. could be wrong though. i certianly dug it. and its too cool of idea to not come back.

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

20. Onyxx thread starter macrumors regular

it'll be back. The cube was Job's baby, he won't let it die.
    hmmm how about this one:
    "the first consumer 64bit supercomputer in a 5x5 cube. Say hello to the new G5 cube"
    Drool. True I'm streching the reality distortion field quite a bit (more than quite a bit actually) with my 5x5 dimensions, but hey...

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey it could happen....

if they take care of all the negatives of the cube n the first place...

no combo drive...not much on the upgrade factor...power button issues...cracked case issues...no market for it issue...etc. etc.

you get the point.

baisically it would be all that a powermac g4 is but with a different shape and with the new G5 chip.

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I can see it as a novely/collectors item, but not much of a market for the normal consumer. Unless they priced it closer to what the new iMac goes for, and include either a monitor or a rebate towards a monitor that really makes it attractive.

From what I understand, people were not purchasing it because they could either go to the iMac for less, or the same and get a full blown, upgradable, expandable G4 tower. The purchase base was just too small to support it. If Apple pulled a marketting rabbit out if it's hat, then they might be able to pull it off.

Maybe offer it off as a cheaper server version for the groups that want to use all external storage and don't need superdrives or even cdrw drives. Considering how you can get a RAID array that is Firewire, as well as tape backup systems that are Firewire (both can be rack mounted).

Now in that configuration, I can see it. Also, don't increase the price and include an unlimited license of OS X Server. That alone would make it sell like mad :D.

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yes.

make it cost as much as a mid range powermac g4 and it being fully expandable. more powerful than the new imac by the way.

24. OSeXy! macrumors regular

Subject...

Sorry to interrupt.

I guess the reason Apple is playing around with coatings is because the TiBook looks great until it gets to know the real word for a bit. I've seen some pretty bashed-up machines out there! (I actually like the scratches and dents -- a leather jacket never looks good until the wearer has been thrown against a brick wall a few times... gives it ... character ... shows you don't coddle your prized possessions, etc...)

Some of the new coatings, anodisings and patination processess which are used to protect/enhance architectural metalwork can be really cool. I'm interested to see what Apple is doing if the rumour is true.

Now, as you were saying...:p

25. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Subject...

I enjoy coddling my prized possessions!