Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
Will new powerbooks ship with Safari as the default browser?

The powerbook order page still says Internet Explorer, and not Safari

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: New PowerBook question

Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Will new powerbooks ship with Safari as the default browser?

The powerbook order page still says Internet Explorer, and not Safari

I highly doubt it since Safari is in early beta devolpement. New computers haven't come with iSync though that will probably change since they have released 1.0.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I agree, they wouldn't ship a beta. But i'm willing to bet when Safari goes final, everyone's software update will be going nuts...

I noticed when I installed Safari it made itself the default browser... and like IE on the PC, you can access the default system browser through the browser itself... it's a little bit MS for apple to do...

:)
pnw

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by paulwhannel
I agree, they wouldn't ship a beta. But i'm willing to bet when Safari goes final, everyone's software update will be going nuts...

I noticed when I installed Safari it made itself the default browser... and like IE on the PC, you can access the default system browser through the browser itself... it's a little bit MS for apple to do...

:)
pnw

As noted on another thread it seems to become the default browser for one of two reasons a) because you are currently using IE as default or b) you select it as the default in an initial options screen of some sort.

There seems to be a few things that happen with Safari if you are using IE as default as oposed to Chimera or another one of them is the default thing. Seems Apple is gunning for Microsoft. I know me and many others who had Chimera set to default still had it as default after installing Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.