New Powerbook question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by forthebrave, Jan 10, 2006.

1. forthebrave macrumors regular

I got my Powerbook 17" fully loaded with 1 GB Memory and Apple Care for it on XMAS. Now a new Powerbook came out as you all probably know and I just wanted to ask few questions....

- Can I return my Powerbook and exchange it for the new one since I just bought it less than a month a go?

- if so how much will I have to pay?

- what happens with the Apple Care that I bought for my Powerbook?

- If I exchange my Powerbook for the new one, does that mean I have to buy new Apple Care for the new one too?

- can I use iLife for the Powerbook I have now?

- is it worth exchanging my Powerbook 17", w/ 1 gb Memory and it's Apple Care for a newer 15" Powerbook?

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I don't really like your chances of getting an exchange. Though you can always call Apple and chance you get someone sympathetic on the line. I think your only option might be selling it and then buying the MBP, which IMO is not worth it.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Bought it at Christmas? Sorry man, I think you're SOL. Apple is pretty tight on their return/exchange policy. :(

4. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! I think I'll just stick with what I got. Nice of Apple to release the MacBook right after the 14 day return return policy from Xmas! sneaky mr. jobs!! reaaal sneaky!!

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Don't worry about it too much. You'll still love your PB ;)

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Everybody knew since september new powerbooks were coming on January.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The PowerBooks were definitely in need of an upgrade, and when the timing of Yonah was announced, yes, this was indeed a safe assumption to make. I, too, would have waited until MWSF, but that doesn't help this guy much, does it? Ah well, you win some and you lose some. Always pays to do your research though... ;) :cool:

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Be glad you got a 17'' PowerBook instead of a 15'' PowerBook, cuz otherwise you'd probably feel really cheated right now.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

10. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Sell It!

If you plan on keeping htis new computer as your main computer for the next 2+ years then I would go against what people are suggesting here. Sell it. You get a new MacBook then you know you are set as far as being able to use almost all old software at decent speeds through rosetta, plus you can use any new freeware or software that is released in the next couple of years without a problem.

Furthermore, the new macbooks are A LOT more powerful. Have you ever used a G5 and compared how powerful it is compared to a G4? I bought the first and slowest G5 ever made - a 1.6ghz G5 tower, shortly after they were released. Then, over a year later, I bought a brand new 15", 1.5ghz G4 powerbook. The powerbook felt considerably slower, and when it came to anything processor intensive, I would say was at least 2x as slow. These new intel processors are at least 2 times as fast as my G5 tower! Look at from this perspective - to get a notebook that is 4 times slower than your G4 you have to go back to the first G4 notebook! the 400mhz G4 was released January 1st, 2001! That means the speed increment between this new macbook and your powerbook is the equivalent to all the processor progress taht apple made in the 5 years before that!!!! It's just not worth it.

I would say that unless you find your 17" display absolutely essential then you should sell your 17" powerbook G4 in the next few weeks. You can still recoup most of the cost, since your exact computer is still for sale at the same retail price on the apple store. I would guess that you would probably break about even after selling your G4, and getting the new $1999 macbook.

Unless you feel having a 17" display is really essential, then you are missing out on a lot here. Think about it.

11. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Whaddya mean?
    It's a 14 day return period in which you can return a machine for any reason... for full refund if it is unopened, or for a 10% restocking fee if the box was opened. BTO and customized products are excluded. There is no "replace it with the more recent model" policy at all. Dunno where you got that idea.

Thats what it is and has been for as long as I can remember.

This is the price protection policy:
    "Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price." This refers to pricing on the same product, not introduction of a new product.

13. qtip919 macrumors 6502

SELL SELL SELL SELL!!!!

2 things to consider:

1. New hardware, not always the best option

There are many changes to the new books, some of which are not super great for everyone. PCMCIA is gone, if you need to use this (which i do)...you're SOL. Also, 1st gen hardware is bound to have problems. I suspect there are going to be many, many issues with these new machines.

2. Speed kills

This new processor is amazing. The books are waaaaay faster...trust me..eventually, you are really going to want that speed

So with that, for most tasks, that old powerbook is going to be a great machine...but I would definately try to get rid of it as I am a hardware junkie

14. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Just to retariate, its a Rev A machine. It is really really sweet though, and its what prior to now, has only been dreamed of. Either way, you'll be good cuz you're getting a Mac. Personally, I'd go for the MacBook...

Why didnt you wait a few more days btw? :rolleyes:

15. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

it was a gift for xmas, sorta hard to tell the person I got it from " wait until after xmas cuz' maaaaybe a better version might come out... " I shouldn't be complaining, since I did get it as a gift, just pissed at Apple and the rush of newer and better models! GEEEZ!! Let me at least enjoy my product before coming out with a newer better one ~~~!!

16. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Please put this into perspective...Apple isn't going to hold back their updates because some people just received their computers. I would kill for a Powerbook 17"!!! To receive it as a gift and not be in debt for the rest of your life, I mean damn! Do you not realize how lucky you are? What you have has PLENTY of power. It's a beautiful computer you have there. Just enjoy it.