New Powerbook tomarrow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by broncoball, Oct 23, 2005.

1. broncoball macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2005
    im going to go get a 12 inch powerbook tommarrow is there anything i should know before i go and get it? and does anyone think i will be disappointed with it and wish i got the 15? i just dont know it might be too big and pricey. well anyways excited to make the switch.
  2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    Hey bronco, congrats on making the switch :D

It all depends on if portability is important to you. The 12" Powerbook is extremely small and light so you can carry it around. The 15" is a lot longer and weighs almost 6, so it's not as portable. The 12" is a lot easier to carry around, so I would go with the 12". If you want the higher resolution and don't travel much, go with the 15. But with the $500 you save, you can almost buy a 20" ACD for the home, which I believe is fully supported on the new 12"s. ;)
  3. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
    If I were going to go with the 12", I would get an iBook, unless you need the SuperDrive and the extra bit of speed. iBook is much cheaper, durable (to drops/bumps) and the WiFi reception is better. Not to mention battery life.
  4. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2005
    I agree. Give the ibook a second look. If it were me I'd be choosing between the ibook or the 15.
  5. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I came in here thinking someone believed Apple was going to release a new pb tomorrow, i was going to digitally slap them
  6. MacPassion macrumors member

Sep 13, 2005
    Unless you have an external monitor, I would think twice before buying the 12'' pb...the screen/resolution is a bit of a shame....
  7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    ibook or 15inch I would say werent the 12inch powerbooks like completely left out of the last update?
  8. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2005
    yes i know that the powerbook and ibook are very similar buy i do need the superdrive that the powerbook has and it looks a lot sleeker. i was going to get this a while ago but i heard it might get updated and it wasnt. so now that that update has came and gone i have decided just to get it because it probly wont get updated till intel. and i dont want to get a rev a machine because they are usually faulty so it would be too long to wait.
  9. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    I agree, save your money and get an ibook, or step it up to the 15". I hate to say it, but the 12" PB stinks. The ibook is a good value and the 15" PB is a reasonably good value.
  10. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    If price is an issue, you can get a 15" refurb 1.67 for 1599 via Apple. Would you consider a refurbished?
  11. musiclover137 macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2005

me too. i was thinking about posting that as joke response...

"you should powerbooks tuesday..."
  12. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Same thing here LOL,

But anyway i agree witht he majority of posters.... go for a 12" iBook instead and buy a nice external DVD writer with the money you have saved,

13. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    Or, get both, like I did. I bought a 12" PB (early this year) so that I can take a Mac with me when I am on the road. PB is too nice and shiny with nice aluminum exterior to take it out on the road (as far as I am concerned); so, I got a new 12" iBook a few months ago for on-the-road or travel usage. A 12" PB is in a very compact case and does not take up too much space on the desk and with a 20" or 23" ACD, it can serve almost as a desk top.
  14. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2005
  15. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    I would go for the 15" way over the 12." I personally think that the 15" feels lighter than the 12" and is way more usable. Also, I'm sorry but the screen on the 12" is just pitiful. It's not the size, is the resolution and quality. I would say that if you need the superdrive, get the 15" and just take the hit. You will be happy that you did. Also, the 15" gets really hot, but the 12" get EVEN HOTER! And then theres always the issue witht he wide-aspect screen. I personally won't buy a screen that's is not wide-aspect. It's just so much more efficent. So, dude just go with the 15", plus it was just updated. Always nice to have the latest and greatest.
  16. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    Sheffield, UK
    honestly... the latest powerbooks are reasonably fast...

but don't expect PC Notebooks' speed (which is generally faster)

but u're going to get Mac OS X instead of Win Xp and that's the big advantage

also, the price will seem a little steep for those new to the Mac world

the powerbook design will impress people

but after prolonged usage it can be hot (at the bottom) sometimes

also... some of the powerbook models also have some loud fan problems...

but i'd like to stress that this is not a typical issue...

if possible... upgrade the RAM... Tiger is really memory hungry
  17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    Broncoball, You're going to enjoy your 12-inch Powerbook.

I don't know, if you're in the U.S., or where you plan to purchase it. However, has it, with a $150 rebate. After the rebate, it is only $1350. Just thought I'd let you know.

I've had the same Powerbook, for eight months or so now, and I think it is great.
  18. panda macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004
    i checked em out

i am a small is better freak, (i use a 12" G3 ibook) but...
    the new 15" is too stunning to say no to. i saw it today side by side with an 'old' 17" and it is super.
    i could not see going for the 12", especially after the screen update. i expect to opt for the 15" very soon.:)
  19. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    i had a 15".

i sold it so i could buy the new 17". :cool:
  20. jonomo macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2005
    I was in the same position a few weeks back... powerbook or ibook.. I mainly needed it to surf, word, photos, and itunes... and occasionally play WoW while i'm on business trips... I got an extra gig for 100 bux.. so now it has 1.5gigs.. and does me fine.. for burning dvds.. i have an external that I use...

I almost never have to burn while on the road...
  21. PharmD macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
    I'm in the same boat as this fellow. 15" PB or 14" iBook. Same usage, internet, Office etc. I have my 20" iMac for video editing and such. My question is minor but important to me nonetheless. With and iBook do you get all the graphical bells and whistles of Tiger, i.e. the ripple effect from Widgets. Basically, are there any limitations with the iBook?
  22. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    I have a dumb question...why don't they make the 12" iBook with a superdrive? I'd love to see that.
  23. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2005
    because if they did it would be too similar to the powerbook and no one would buy the powerbook