Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgurl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
da Bronx
I think my brand new powerbook is a lemon. When I first got the powerbook, I noticed an issue that popped up whenever it went to sleep. Upon waking up, whenever I would begin to type, the letters would be Greek letters and I would have to restart to get it to type normally. Now that I'm uploading my music & photos I'm noticing other problems. After ripping about 5 CDs to iTunes, my computer would refuse to resolve web pages. When I went into Finder>Netork I would see that it was still connected. Also, at one point, it couldn't find my iTunes library! I freaked! But after I restarted the computer my iTunes library was once again accessible. My iMovie also crashed after I tried to make a movie! I'm very upset cuz I've been drooling over this machine since last September & have been dying to switch from my dinosaur of a PC. I've been lurking on various Mac forums & have never seen anyone with these kinds of issues.

Since I got the machine, I've always repaired permissions after downloading a new update or program. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone provide any insight or should I just go back to Compusa & exchange it? Please help!

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
You probably should try reinstalling the software first. That of course means you'll have to backup everything you loaded on.

vgurl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
da Bronx
So if I take it back, what should I do before I pack it up? I'm thinking I should back up what I put on it & deauthorize the machine from iTunes. Should I do anything else that I'm not thinking of?

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
You could just reinstall Panther and make sure you erase the drive when you are asked. That way your data, and all your settings, are gone before you return it.

vgurl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
da Bronx
Thanks everyone for your input! I'm going to return the Powerbook tomorrow for a new one. Hopefully the second time's the charm.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
vgurl said:
So if I take it back, what should I do before I pack it up? I'm thinking I should back up what I put on it & deauthorize the machine from iTunes. Should I do anything else that I'm not thinking of?

Be sure to deauthorize it, like you said. Apple's a bit of a pain about that, and they aren't readily going to do it after the fact.

Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.