new powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by madtodaimax, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. madtodaimax macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2004
    #1
    if there is a possibility of a new pb update at the paris expo, should i wait until then? i was thinking of getting a super 12" before school started using the back to school promotions.
     
  2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #2
    There is a strong possiblity of a powerbook update at the Paris expo, i'd say it is definatly worth waiting until then before shelling out for a super 12",

    ShadoW
     
  3. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #3
    I would think the 12" powerbook would get a graphics update... at least I sure hope so... if it did I would be tempted again haha :p
     
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #4
    If you can wait until September 20th, then it may be well worth the wait. Just keep in mind that the new PowerBook may or may not be available immediately. Also there could be delays. The update isn't actually expected to be all the much. So it really depends on if you want it before school starts. You would really enjoy the current model.
     
  5. njmac macrumors 68000

    njmac

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #5
    nobody knows what September will actually bring, but will you be upset if it is just a very minor speed bump on the power books? Because that is what is rumored.

    It's a hard call to make but if you do buy now, you will have a great computer that should last you for a few years at the least.
     
  6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

    AstrosFan

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    #6
    I second this post - it really depends on your needs. "Worst-case" you end up with a great computer that you will get a couple of months of use out of before new updates are available to you.
    However, if waiting till September doesn't make a difference to you, waiting isn't bad - it just means you're without a sweet machine for an extra couple of months!
    As pointed out above, the updates are unlikely to be substantial. Also, the typical front-delay would mean that it wouldn't be until early October (probably) that you would receive your machine.

    My vote is to go ahead and get what you need - don't forget the third-party RAM!
     
  7. madtodaimax thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2004
    #7
    if the keynote is on the 20th and new pb's are announced, what is the fastest i would have one in my hand?
     
  8. Eastend macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2004
    Location:
    Nara, Japan
    #8
    Steve knows.
     
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #9
    I agree, the current PowerBook G4's are impressive machines.

    I would not hesitate to scoop one up.
     
  10. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2005
    #10
    I've had my 12" powerbook for about 2 weeks now...its an amazing machine...the update is going to be minor IMO...a minor speed increase, maybe better graphics card (this is a big maybe though), they'll upgrade the non-removable ram slot to 512...other than that its up in the air...and who knows it could be a great update...

    I figured it wasnt worth the wait, and I needed a lappy now...
     
  11. godbout macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2005
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #11
    Personally, I think that if they went to the G4 7448 (with a 200MHz fsb) and a better video card some people MIGHT feel it is worth the two months (if you don't need a comp right now, this may be an option) but you would be lucky to get it before october and really that is a pretty small update so it is your call... will the PBs be all that much better... my eight ball says "probably not"... but if you are one of those guys that needs the latest and greatest and will feel bad about the inevitable upgrade...

    by the way these things are aways upgraded and this is just a speed bump... you are not going to miss out on getting a G5 PB this time around :D
     
  12. blueandyellow macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    #12
    i second Ntotheizzo. i have had my 12" pb w/superdrive for a week and i love it. i was waiting for the updates (for a while), but honestly i don't think you would see anything revolutionary. and if you qualify you can get the free ipod mini before sept 24. i say get it now if you need it.
     
  13. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    Location:
    PA
  14. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #14
    i bought my gf a 12" super 3 weeks ago and i do not regret it one bit. excellent machine!@$
     
  15. iEdd macrumors 68000

    iEdd

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2005
    Location:
    Australia
    #15
    I am hoping for 128MB graphics cards in Pbs, with 256 option for 15 and 17" models.
    Maybe up to a 120GB HDD???
    Faster burning?
    Well worth the wait.
    I think if they bring these out, the pbs might be last to go to intel.
     
  16. thairs macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2005
    #16
    RE:

    I'm in the same boat as well, and if you can wait, I would say do it. If not, you definitely can't go wrong with the currently lineup of powerbooks. I'm probably going to wait to see what kind of updates come up, especially to the 12", I'm not to keen on the fact that the ibook line can handle more ram than the 12", and has a "faster" video card.
     

Share This Page