New Powerbook

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Yukon, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Yukon macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2002
    Dear Mr. Jobs (or Appl. employee canvasing chat/rumor sites),

Why must I wait any longer? In a CompUSA store today, on my way to the Apple section, I passed by the lothesome PC laptop area. While I, once again, have never, do not and will not own a PC (for numerous reasons that only you and the Apple minions could begin to understand), I am patiently (growing ever impatient) waiting for you to stop listening to the CFO types and bring out the best Ti/Powerbook you can - Now! Not when you "sufficiently move/clear channels of existing parts inventory to maximize sales of the present spec. model in this current economy..." Please Steve, I mean Mr. Jobs, there were two PC laptops in the isle with 1600 x 1200 resolution screens. One was the 16" Sony (which I commented on last month) and the other was a 15" Toshiba with a 40GB HD, 512 MB of DDR-RAM, CD-R-RW/DVD-R (combo drive), etc. for $2,400. Even D(H)ell has a 1600 x 1200. Come on, what are all these WinTel folks doing with all of that screen real estate? Again, as I stated before (did you read my previous posts?) there is no better looking laptop on the planet than the Ti, but please, as a graphics professional, don't make me drool over the 1600 x 1200 laptop screens of my PC weenie friends and put up with the jabs they throw. While I hold my own on most comparative points, the screen is always a contentious issue - even with your latest Ti bump. While brighter and with a slightly higher resolution, it doesn't come close to the beautiful, amazingly crisp 1600 x 1200's. And guys, don't flame me because you think the screen items are too small. It's bull. I had no problem and I was using a trackpad with my rather large hands/fingers — Imagine the ease with even a micro-mouse, etc. And, because the screen was so sharp, the smallish icons/type, etc. were clear and easy to read. Therefor, I strongly encourage you to give us design/creative/video professionals a Powerbook with 1600 x 1200 res., DDR RAM, a 1GHz processor and USB 2 / Firewire 2 . Should you see fit to include all of that in a brushed aluminum case (the only material imaginable that would look better and be more durable [no chipping paint] than the Titanium currently used - and please don't bore me with Airport reception concerns using aluminum) and include a SuperDrive, that would be a big bonus - but not necessary. Just raise the bar as high as you can reach, not just to the height that the bean counters/analysts determine to be the best at this moment (near-sighted thinking). I'm ready to buy another Apple laptop. Please let me know when you're ready.
  2. decimal macrumors newbie

May 20, 2002
    You forgot to mention DDR and 2MB L3 cache.
    What a machine that would be!!
  3. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I'm agree, the only good thing about the Ti book is the screen and the processor, the enclosure is a mistake just like the old iMac mouse was.

I spend a lot of time in the Mac store of a friend of mine and the ammount of Ti powerbooks for service comparing with the old G3 is a 6 to 1 proportion.

The indestructible titanium powerbook will breake with the first impact. I think that is because the enclosure is made of more pieces than the previous G3 version. My G3 pismo felt last week from a chair to a marmol floor and I just had to press the plastic section around the start botton (where the speakers are) to make it fit again, that was it. The Ti can not fall on one of its corners because the frame is not part of the rest of the structure, that is one of the bigest problems we see at the store.

On the other hand, Apple has to release G5 in july, just because pentium is at 2Ghz a long time a go. My friend says that Apple is not selling that much because of the lack of the speed.
  4. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    Re: New Powerbook

Screen real estate has been higher on Dell for 2 years now. But as you might notice, at the higher resolutions, text becomes so small and blurred it becomes unreadable. And this even to someone with 20/20 vision. So before you go demanding more screen real estate, ask how much pixel density you are going to need to make that much screen real estate viable in terms of resolution. The iBook 12" is about the highest pixel density you can have without losing pixel sharpness. And then of course the problem is all those people wanting to watch DVDs at true cinemascope proportions. As it is now, DVD playback leaves bars at the bottom and top of the screen. I would not ask for higher resolution unless I got the same proportions as a movie screen on my DVDs so they presented full screen.

5. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Hey--I have a solution! Dont drop your 2,500 dollar computer!

Your leg will break if you fall on it too, but you dont see people walking around in armor--they just try hard not to fall down.

I've had a laptop of some sort for 5 years, and have never dropped it because Im careful with my investments.
  6. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    good point

if you want rugged with an "r", get the ibook

and the comment made to your comment about real estate on the screen is true

that 1600 res. has tiny, tiny lettering and i can't see what one would use it for

the current, and older tibooks, are amazing pieces of technology and my guess is that they are more durable than 99 percent of pc laptops

the ultra rugged panasonic toughbooks and other tough industrial laptops are the strongest but they are all over $4500 from what i have seen

have a good case for your laptop or a sleeve or protection of some sort...these past three years, i have used bubblewrap in my laptop bag on the ibook even though many say that the ibook needs no in a backpack, etc

don't believe the apple hype on an ibook and life in a backpack...get a padded sleeve of some sort of extra protection even though that countelsss tests have shown the ibook to be very, very durable

the tibook's titanium case is definitely a plus and i hope apple does not go back to plastic on their pro models

i will say that the former pismo, wallstreet, and lombard G3 powerbooks were very solidly built

i also never drink near my apple laptop is able to withstand liquid being dropped on it like coffee, water, or soda...or beer
  7. mcrain macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2002
    Hey, look who's being bossy now! This post reminds me of an old saying... something to do with pots and kettles and the color black. Hmmm....

Consider yourself pied. :D
  8. nerickson macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2002
    West Branch, MI
    I hate to argue but my PBG4 has survived interaction with liquid (although I consider this extremely lucky).

My uncle spilled a Miller Lite on the keyboard. He picked it up to turn it upside down and it ended up running into the DVD drive. Everything is still working fine... in fact I haven't had to pry out cds and DVDs like I used to!

btw, I was kinda hoping he did ruin the drive so I could get one of those COMBO drives that MCE is offering.
  9. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    he was smart in turning it upside down

also turn off the machine and let all liquid run out and don't reboot until things have been given a chance to dry

and next time, no drinks

you were lucky
  10. ericb88 macrumors member

Apr 29, 2002
    the new powerbook

Is the best product in the apple line. The 667 is faster in most applications than the 800 pm and faster than the 800 imac in virtually everything. The 800 kicks the **** outa the 800 pm, the screen is beautiful, sure it cant do crazy resolutions, but tell me how many of you would actually run 1600x1200 on a 15 inch monitor?
  11. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: the new powerbook

if i develop super fly vison, i would:p
  12. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Re: Re: the new powerbook

me too:D
  13. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Man, what you are saying is so utopic, reminds me when I was teaching my girldfriend to drive, she wanted to use my car to go to her work/school every day, I told her NO, and she told me about the same thing you are sayin... I do not plan to crash the car!

No one whants to drop the computer or loosing it but... why do they have to be so strong now days? because s*it happens!!! last week I put my PIsmo inside my suitcase but it didn't lock well, when I picked it up the Pismo when to the floor. 5 years ago I had my PB 5300 on a desk and my roomates girlfriend pulled the modem cord by mistake and the computer fell down.

In the real world, TiBooks are more fragile than previous models, that is a fact. I could have a Ti in the future, just because I work as a VJ and I need to take 2 powerfull computers with me on stage, but is just because of the processor.

Higer resolution would be good, not necesaraly to read, to edit video/audio would be a good help just because the # of tracks.

I go to go, it is my girldfriend birthday, chao.
  14. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i could see the 1600 res for that

maybe the ti should have a shock mounted hard drive (the most delicate part) and that should make a big difference

some sort of protection should always be used for transport...the more padding, the better

but you are right when you say that stuff happens

i once reached for my pc laptop and knocked off one of the screen hinges and i didn't even hit it that hard...but that's compaq for you...delicate as a cream pie

go check one out then check out the tibook;)
  15. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios

Yeah, I get your point, but I dont think you got mine. No matter how durable a laptop is, it can still be broken. Dont be unrealistic and expect a suercomputer like the TiBook to also be bulletproof. it seems trivial to complain that one of the nicest laptops on the market cant sustain a fall onto the floor.

But hey, I guess its okay to expect absolute perfection from Apple, because thats what they claim about their hardware.

Bitter, arent we? Get over it.
  16. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    Res Res Res!

All this res talk and the need for more res.

I am sorry, I don't buy it!
    I do graphics and video on my Ti.
    I type scripts and surf on my Ti.
    There has to be a middle ground to comfortably do all these tasks!

I never even get to see web sites in the proportions that they were designed to be viewed at. And you want more res?
    I can barely read my email already and you want more res?

Its a bloody 15 inch monitor and you want more res.?

You have got to be kidding, I don't buy it. not a bit.
    You need to output to a second monitor and get the res you want, that simple.
    You freakin res freak and i mean that in the nicest way.

you wonder why Job's is ignoring you?
    THank god, Steve Jobs is ignoring you!

On to the Drop Scenario!
    You seem rather fixated on dropping your laptop!
    I know it's possible that you may drop it, but it isnt something that I think should be your major concern because Laptops are not designed to be dropped!

There isnt a laptop that should be or likes to be dropped.
    You shouldnt drop them, Yea **** happens and when it does its called "****"

If your laptop just bounced like a superball then it would be called bouncey.

Bouncey hahaha , my laptop just fell and opps bouncey!
    I had a SOny Viao once, then it dropped, it kinda commited suicide off the edge of my desk and dove face first onto a metal cased guitar processor.
    SO it was Sony plastic vs DIgitech GUn metal.

The SOny was evaporated! mere particles remained and were swept away by a lonesome wind.

There are few laptops that will survive ****.

I suggest that you take the precautions that we all DO.
    We don't go and buy some stinkin Dell, which is made of the worst plastic molds.
    Thinking , ahhh this is more durable that the Ti.
    Then smash it on the floor to test it!

Puhlease, are you trying to gardner posts?

I would be more concerned as others are about all the music appz that arent being made for OSX. Now thats a thread, all the current music appz and what we wnat and need for OSX.

Hey I worked hard on the post, can you tell, do you care? Should you? SHouldnt you?

wait wait, I know my post is long but....
    I must add... You should bemore worried about your PCheese laptop BOOTING everyday when you need it than dropping issues!

There I think that was a good one! really
  17. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Res Res Res!

sorry to hear about your sony laptop...nothing like that to help convince being able to take precautions next time around

my compaq laptop is even more cheaply made than any dell i have ever seen

i wonder why no reasonably priced pc laptops are as strong as tibook/ibooks?

i have a friend who is a marine biologist and he has brought his ibook, graphite SE, on boats on research trips and that thing has survived the most hostile conditions, within reason, and i know there is no $1800 dollar pc laptop than can make that claim:D
  18. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I've owned both the Pismo and the TiBook.... and there is no way on this earth I'd ever go back to the tonka truck hulk of plastic that is the Pismo......

I really don't see the probably or the argument about the TiBook being less sturdy... unless you treat laptops like a complete tw*t then the TiBook is absolutely fine......

But I've never dropped a laptop so there you go!! :p :p :p
  19. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Big Shoulders
    Re: Re: New Powerbook

3 years now. My fiance has had one with a 1600xWhatever since late 1999. It's not only much higher resolution, it SUPER bright. Hate to say it, but the screen on my TiBook isn't even close to the one on her Dell.
  20. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002

They need so much screen real estate cuz of all those Microsoft windows taht pop up everytime u move and ask for all ur information.;)
  21. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    Tonka truck plastic, HEH thats funny!

Yea, who wants all that plastic garbage.

It was almost sad about the SOny, but it was nothing more than a hot brick!
    Too thick, hot and ugly as spit, sometimes I think , I did it on purpose.

I mean I sure as hell dont miss it, I do miss the cash that I spent on it!
    That was one of the reasons I will never buy a Pcheese anything again!
    I mea Never again, if APPLE goes under, then I will get a NOTHING.
    NOthing I will draw with a pencil like I usd to as a kid and make a living as a comic book artist, it was more fun anyway!

Never had to worry bout drivers or electricity on a B pencil!
  22. jermsmingy macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2002
    I have a TiBook 800 and

the new screen is super bright. In fact I can run it at half brightnesss for just normal stuff (to save battery) and then when I need it, I make it as bright as it can go. One of the reasons that I didn't buy rev b was I thought that the screen was way to dark. The screen is very bright now.

Also, I have a sony laptop and the highest it can go is 1400 by something but when you switch it to 1600 the edges of the screen disappears. Honestly though the 1400 is not all that clear and it is very small.

Hey the TiBook is the best laptop on the market because it is the best laptop that runs a Mac OS. We will eventually get the things you want. The problem is is that if we got all that some of you guys want the TiBook would be well over 5000 dollars. Then you would complain about that.

Be content with what you have or you will never be happy.
  23. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: I have a TiBook 800 and

yes, five grand if those things were put out today

4500 in this fall's technology prices

and a tidy 3799 by this steve jobs, let's do it...he he

when the tibook came out, it topped out at 500 mhz and already we are thinking and talking about a 1000 mhz tibook!

and basically at the same price point

apple's time table is always just a little bit slower than what the macrumors crowd wants...we egg each other on and talk about a g4 imac or lcd imac six months before apple released that darn thing

but for the rest of the normal mac users, i am sure the imac g4 lcd came out at the right time
  24. Inhale420 macrumors regular

May 4, 2002

dude, i doubt they'll make a widescreen laptop at that aspect ratio. more like 1600x1024.
  25. britboy macrumors 68030

Nov 4, 2001
    Kent, UK
    Is it possible to use non-standard aspect ratios? The current tibooks use a 3:2 ratio (1152:768, 896:600). If so, the most logical progression would be a 1600:1067 (or something along those lines), and not 1600:1200.

Just a thought.