New PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jph99, May 11, 2004.

1. jph99 macrumors newbie

I am looking to purchase a new powerbook. I was wondering if it will make a difference to buy it online, or at an apple store?? I am in college and will be using the educational discount. This will be my first mac, and i wasnt sure if i got it at the store if everything (software, programs....) would be updated to the newest versions. Also i am looking at getting the 15", 1.5ghz, 80gig 4200 hd, 128mb video card, 512mb ram (1 stick), and combo drive. I will be mainly using it for ms office (excel, word..), and internet. I would like to get into the photoshop, and web publishing stuff also. I havent really ever done it before and would like to start using those programs. As far as a DVD burner, would an external burner work with the DVD software that comes with the mac? Thanks for all of your help!

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Online or Store shouldn't make a difference, although you have a better opportunity to wheel and deal a bit face to face when getting a quote if you want to bundle stuff. Plus any problems and I think the flesh and blood store member will be more compelled to help you out since you bought it from them.

External DVD burners are meant to be fine now IIRC (?) but you should look a Roxio Toast Titanium 6 to allow for the most powerful use of burning.

Oh, and for photoshop and imovie, if you plan to use them lots some more RAM from Crucial would be a good idea at some point.

3. jph99 thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of dealing can you do if you purchase a powerbook in the store? Do they offer a better price?

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I don't think you can get any kind of deal by purchasing in store compared to online.

I noticed that you are going to use the education discount. Just so you know, if you purchase at an Apple Store, you can only use the discount on hardware. If you want to use the discount on software, you have to order through the online store.

5. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Also if you are going to upgrade graphics card and hard drive, you have to do it online. Retail Store will only upgrade ram and install AE cards. otherwise they are stock.