new powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsulens, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. jsulens macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    #1
    does anyone have any suggestions or guesses on when a powerbook upgrade or new line will come out. even if u have a hunch i would be intrested in knowing. i am looking to buy one in the next few months. any information or estimate is appriciated
     
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #2
    No one outside of Apple knows for certain.

    However, having read the posts here pretty consistently for a number of months now, I think the average opinion is that there won't be a G5 PB out until 2005, and that there probably won't be a major update to the PB line before then.

    That doesn't stop them from announcing a 1900x1200 screen on the 17" PB next week, mind you. It's just the consensus of a bunch of people guessing. Some "educated", some not.
     
  3. goodknight411 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2004
    Location:
    MiddlaNowhere, Arkansas
    #3
    If your talking about a G5, i think the general consenses is it's going to be a long wait. If your talking about a new rev. of the G4, probably not in the immediate future. Check out the buyer's guide. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
     
  4. jsulens thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    #4
    ok thanks guys. i will probably just end up getting the current 12'' powerbook unless something new happends to come out within the next month or two.
     
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #5
    You'll be quite happy.

    One point: you might want to look at the 12" iBook as well. It's a lot cheaper, and if you don't need the very few additional features of the PB, a much better deal. Also more rugged.

    Don't get me wrong - the PB is excellent. I've just seen a lot of advice on this site to look at the iBooks, and the arguments were reasonable enough that I've started to agree - if there aren't clear advantages to the PB.
     
  6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #6
    If you follow the Buyers Guide, it is likely (not guaranteed) that updates to the PB line will happen in the Sept/Oct timeframe. But then again Apple is starting to break out of their mold of when and where things are done.
     
  7. jsulens thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    #7
    well i dont start school until late sept. so i think i might just hang on until early september before i make my decision. i think that i like the powerbook better than the ibook bc of the superdrive and when i visited the store i liked the feel of the powerbook's keyboard compared to the ibook. i still think the ibook is a good notebook though. if there are updates before i go back to school i may look to see if the ibook has a superdrive. either way i will probably wait a couple of months and see if anything comes out or if i hear of any new releases. plus i am excited to see what the new imacs are going to look like if they are a new model. i am mainly looking for a laptop, but you never know.
     
  8. micvog macrumors 6502

    micvog

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2003
    #8
    Just keep in mind that the current iBooks (with the RADEON 9200) will not support Core Image and therefore some of the new eye-candy in Tiger. The 12" PowerBook, with the nVidia GeForce 5200 does. See http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html
     
  9. DJY macrumors 6502a

    DJY

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra AUST
    #9
    I think you are safe buying now...
    I recently switched and bought a 17" Powerbook..

    been thinking about it for ages...
    and been reading all the forums / thread / rumours / news stories...

    with the recent upgrade - I thought it would be safe for me to buy now - that and I wasn't sure I wanted a Rev A even when they bring out G5 (which I don't believe will be until well into 2005.

    iMac's aren't coming out until Sept - and the Buyers Guide in here (one of the tabs top left corner) seems also to reassure me.

    If I were you I'd buy well before you start school.
    That gives you a chance to migrate data over, get familiar with it, and play on it heaps!!!! You don't need the distractions there once school starts!
     
  10. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

    JOD8FY

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Location:
    United States
    #10
    I doubt there will be another PB update this year. The next one should be to G5 and my guess is that that will take place at MWSF in January. That may be wishful thinking, but by then, they'll be due for an update.

    Best wishes,
    JOD8FY
     
  11. nels0360 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    Location:
    Colorado
    #11
    I'm a switcher and just bought a 12" PowerBook last week. Buy now is my advice. September will come around with no update and then you will convince yourself to wait another 4 months...just get it now and enjoy it.
     
  12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #12
    As the previous two posters said, it is possible that it won't be updated till January.

    Since you can wait till Sept, then I would wait. There have been rumors of a back-to-school special with Powerbooks and the iPod. And without the iMac till September, there are indications that Apple will try to spur buyers towards the iBook and Powerbook during the back-to-school period.
     

Share This Page