Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Hi,
I'm almost a 3rd year college student who is probably going to attend graduate school. I'm also thinking about getting a new computer. I would be updating from a 400 MHz iMac DV SE (Graphite). Now, I'm thinking about getting a laptop because I'm living off campus and the Engineering school sometimes requires a computer to be close at hand. Also, my college is equipped with Airport compatible wireless stations. I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and with the education discount get the Powerbook either 667 or 800 MHz or safe money by getting an iBook. Of course money's an issue, but I'm also thinking about whether my computer will be useable for the next 3-4 years and beyond. My iMac is definitely useful probably until the end of my undergraduate, but then I will probably need to get a computer for grad school. Also, the G3 in it is getting a little long in tooth. That's also the problem with the iBook. It has a G3 and I just think that with Mac OS X, G3's won't be useable in 1-2 years. Then, the question is with Jaguar, will it show significant increases with G3. Well, it's getting confusing so I'll sum up. Should I get an iBook or a Powerbook if I were to upgrade? If I were to get an iBook, should I just keep my present computer? Will the iBook be worth keeping in 2 years? If I get a Powerbook, should I get the 667 MHz model, the 800 MHz, or should I just wait till January? If I wait, won't I be missing out on a great offer for the new Powerbooks with this present discount? Should I wait until after I'm done with undergraduate school to get a computer anyway? Ahhhh, so many questions. Any thoughts?

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
if you want to keep it for a few years and maximize your investment I recommend buying the best you can at the time. Get the powerbook 800 and if money is an issue when at all possible wait a little while until they are updated and buy the previous model.

an ibook is a great machine.. but if you really want to keep this long term i recommend spending the extra coin on a g4.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
to me, sounds like you're a perfect person to take advantage of the current edu rebate on the tibooks...

the ibook will not stick around as long. and like you said, the g3 is pushing it as is

now, i think the ibook is great, and from what i've heard from many people, runs great with os x and x.2

but it won't have the expandability and the long lasting power of the tibook

maybe the 667 is best, given that it seems you'll be using relatively simple apps... if that's not true, go with the 800...

Bophonic

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2001
Me too!

This is so wierd. I am also a 3rd year college student going on to Grad School after my last year and own a iMac DV SE 400. I was waiting for every last revision to kick in to get a new computer for next semester. Finally I bought a Refurbished Powerbook 800 from ClubMac. You have to call and ask for them (if any). Its a kill at 2799. Includes a 90 day warranty, applecare option, and all the benifits of an 800 over the 667 (HD, Memory, Airport, Speed, and something a lot of people don't know about, you have the option to turn the speed of your 800 processor to 667 when using the battery to save juice. You can also turn the speed of the ATI card) Just got it a few days ago and its GREAT. You also qualify to pre-order Jag for 19.95 (which I did).

Apple Edu. store was my first choice, but theres a HUGE catch. You have to add tax (about 8% of total, which comes to about $200) And shipping is about $50. ClubMac charged me $10 for next day air and NO sales tax.

Anyway, all things said, I coudn;t be happier. I loaded all my music (300 cd's) on it and still have 30 gigs left (i used mp4). And its fast as hell in Photoshop. My advise, hope it helps.

P

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Re: Me too!

Thanks for the tips everyone. It seems the consensus is an 800 MHz Powerbook so far. That's weird bophonic about our similarities. Just one question, what did you do with your old mac? Also, how long ago did you order?

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Re: Me too!

Hey Bophonic,
I just called Clubmac and they said they have one left but there selling it at 3169 :(, which is basically the same price as new. I was wondering if you did anything special?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i would say that if money is an issue you should get the 800 now, and it'll definitely last a while. but if you can wait you should, the new TiBooks in January will be awesome, even if there isn't much of a speed bump.

on second thoughts, i would say that you should get the 800 now and save.

Paolo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
aaahh yeah

Get the G4... Jaguar runs like a pile of crap on a g3.... very choppy, takes ages to do anything... (unless you've got the 32mb graphics) then I think it's a bit better. But G3 and Jaguars don't go!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: aaahh yeah

Originally posted by Paolo
Get the G4... Jaguar runs like a pile of crap on a g3.... very choppy, takes ages to do anything... (unless you've got the 32mb graphics) then I think it's a bit better. But G3 and Jaguars don't go!

That's not true.

I have a PowerMac G3 which is proof that Jaguar runs smoothly on a G3. If there's not enough memory or a slow drive, that's different, but that has nothing to do with the fact that it's a G3. Jaguar (or Mac OS X, in general) doesn't run tremendously well without a decent amount (512MB is my recommendation to start) of memory.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
G3

I don't think it is really an issue whether a G3 can run Mac OS X now, it can. My iMac runs it really well, true its slower than the latest greates machines, but it still works. I'm more concerned that in 1-2 years whether the G3 will still be able to run Pinot or Jaguar Version 2 or whatever.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Well, I'm a fourth year student next month, and am looking to either graduate or medical school. I have a stupid 550 MHz HP laptop which I've used for the past three years. Looking ahead, I want to buy a high-quality computer that'll last for years. I finally settled my decision on...

800 MHz powerbook;)

I'll probably buy the end of this month.

Here's why...
-Its thin...i'll just stick a handle on it like the cyber3 tilt n' tote and also a nice case that fits nicely into a backpack...
-Its fast. You can't go wrong with the fastest and best...you'll be disappointed when they update approximately twice a year. Just think, after 3-4 years, that'll be up to 6 speed increases:eek:! Getting the best now won't hurt.
-Its running Mac X, which IMO is better than XP (I'm using XP right now:()
-The screen. I have a 15" CRT, so the powerbook has a bigger screen. But you can't get the same screen with the iBooks...the 14" has a so-so resolution.

-Buy now! Take advantage of the discounts. In my case, I go to a school that has deeper discounts than the rest of ya'll...i'll save over $400 and get the free lind auto-air power adaptor and save and extra $25 since I registered with Apple news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.