Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
IscariotJ said:
I'm hoping wrong, though. I'm refusing to order an iBook, until the stock memory is at 512, and the video card supports CoreImage.

If they did that i'd be all over a iBook myself. Here's to hoping!

=Z

RJD

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
Anyone here know if the shipping time on stock Macs always shifts to 1-3 days prior to an update? Have there ever been updates that happened while shipping remained "same business day" immediately beforehand?

I'm wondering because the iBooks are still "same day shipping" on the US site, which makes me think that an update tomorrow is unlikely. I want to avoid purchasing right before an update, but at the same time I'm really in need of a laptop ASAP for working on my dissertation and don't know if I can afford to wait much longer...

fr3drik

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
I live in Sweden and I ordered my Powerbook 12" on the 9th of June. Still havn't received it. I called Apple to complain and they told me they can't give me an exact date but they guarantee I will have it within 2 weeks. They also couldn't tell me why it took so long. What's up with that? Usually, it takes 3-4 days to receive it. I've been calling the retailer like 20 times since I placed the order and I've had them call Apple twice. So it's not like my order got lost or anything.

Do I dare to think that the Powerbook line is going to be updated?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
RJD said:
I'm wondering because the iBooks are still "same day shipping" on the US site, which makes me think that an update tomorrow is unlikely. I want to avoid purchasing right before an update, but at the same time I'm really in need of a laptop ASAP for working on my dissertation and don't know if I can afford to wait much longer...

The thing is if you look at Build to order iBooks, it is 7-10 days to ship. Normally, a build to order would say something like 1-3 days, or 3-5 days.

RJD

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
powerbook911 said:
The thing is if you look at Build to order iBooks, it is 7-10 days to ship. Normally, a build to order would say something like 1-3 days, or 3-5 days.

Yeah, I saw that earlier in the thread. In fact that's the reason why I'm still holding out for the update rather than buying right now. I'm just wondering whether the lack of any change on shipping for the stock iBooks (non-BTOs) is a contradictory sign?

THX

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
Well, I am not sure if this means anything at all but it is worth a go. I ordered a BTO 12" IBook Thursday night and it was built this morning. However, you'd expect a ready product to get out the door quite quickly. But no, it has remained as "preparing shipment" since then (ie. many hours).

I can speculate a few reasons for this, some more plausible than others. However, it cannot be denied that there is a possibility that my BTO was infact updated with new hardware and will not be sent until tomorrow (following an update announcement).

Though, it is more likely due to either a delay or it missed a mass-shipping schedule. But you'd think they'd ship all ready products by the end of the day. :/

Superhob

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
Here's some more fuel for the fire...Amazon says they only have one ibook 12 inch left in stock BUT they usually would say "More on the way" or something to that effect. Also, if you notice the availbility for CompUSA on the right hand side, it says "Usually ships in 1-2 months".

I don't know if this information points to an impending update or not, but I thought I'd share it...

Edit: CompUSA own website says Usually Ships In: 2 - 4 Weeks...

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
It seemed to me like we had more consistent sources of information several weeks ago following the 4th of July. We didnt see wacky shipping times but we even had comments from several online websites that ibooks would have already been updated. While im hoping upon hoping for tomorrow, I keep thinking that I'm setting myself up for disappointment and my desperate wishes are making something out of nothing...

But then again..... Here's to me being wrong! iBooks tomorrow woo hoo!

Onkelskrue

macrumors member
May 25, 2005
I dunno, but mine was built on Friday and it is shipping from Shanghai tonight. I would love for it to be an updated version, but it only states the 'ol specs:

07/14/2005
11:33 AM PST

W1XXXXXXXX

• PBG4 15/1.67GHz-128/512MB/80/SD/APX-USA
• PBG4 15/1.67GHZ

Shipped

PBG4 15/1.67GHz-128/512MB/80/SD/APX-USA
Replaced with new product

PBG4 15/1.67GHZ
Shipped

1 Shipped 07/18/2005
Invoice No. : 9222XXXXX
Carrier : FEDERAL EXPRESS
Tracking Number(s) :
7010XXXXXXX

Tracking number
70XXXXXXX
Ship date
Jul 18, 2005

Reference
2XXXXXXXX
Destination
Falls Church, VA
Service type
IP Direct Distribution
Weight
4.7 kgs.

Status
At FedEx destination

Date/Time

Activity

Details

Jul 18, 2005 11:00 PM

At local FedEx facility

SHANGHAI CN

2:10 PM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
I want an ibook right now soooooooooooo badly. But I won't buy one unless they update...I hope I don't die by the time that happens.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
THX said:
Well, I am not sure if this means anything at all but it is worth a go. I ordered a BTO 12" IBook Thursday night and it was built this morning. However, you'd expect a ready product to get out the door quite quickly. But no, it has remained as "preparing shipment" since then (ie. many hours).

I can speculate a few reasons for this, some more plausible than others. However, it cannot be denied that there is a possibility that my BTO was infact updated with new hardware and will not be sent until tomorrow (following an update announcement).

Though, it is more likely due to either a delay or it missed a mass-shipping schedule. But you'd think they'd ship all ready products by the end of the day. :/

Whhhhaaat I ordered one Friday night and it didn't do ANYTHING yet. :(

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
CRAP I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE. Anyone here know any good windows notebooks that are 12inch and have 5 or more hour battery life?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Onkelskrue said:
I dunno, but mine was built on Friday and it is shipping from Shanghai tonight. I would love for it to be an updated version, but it only states the 'ol specs:

We're not expecting Powerbook updates.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Superhob said:
Here's some more fuel for the fire...Amazon says they only have one ibook 12 inch left in stock BUT they usually would say "More on the way" or something to that effect. Also, if you notice the availbility for CompUSA on the right hand side, it says "Usually ships in 1-2 months".

I don't know if this information points to an impending update or not, but I thought I'd share it...

Edit: CompUSA own website says Usually Ships In: 2 - 4 Weeks...

Yes, this is a valid point, and I noticed this a couple days ago. Amazon ran out of the iBooks, and they began promoting the rest of CompUSA's stock, and now CompUSA's stock seems to be gone.

I'm thinking Apple isn't giving Amazon anymore of the current iBooks, for the new ones might be out this week??

Superhob

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
AcousticDoc said:
CRAP I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE. Anyone here know any good windows notebooks that are 12inch and have 5 or more hour battery life?

You should consider a 12inch Powerbook. It gets close to 4.5 hours of battery life and it's built better than 90% of the windows laptops out there.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
powerbook911 said:
I'm thinking Apple isn't giving Amazon anymore of the current iBooks, for the new ones might be out this week??

I'm new to apple, when they announce new products, can I expect apple stores to have them the day of the annoucement?

Superhob

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
AcousticDoc said:
I'm new to apple, when they announce new products, can I expect apple stores to have them the day of the annoucement?

They usually have the base configurations available on or shortly after the announcement date. BTO systems may take a week or two...

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
Superhob said:
They usually have the base configurations available on or shortly after the announcement date. BTO systems may take a week or two...

So if ibooks really do comeout tommorow...Apple employees should already know about it today?

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
AcousticDoc said:
So if ibooks really do comeout tommorow...Apple employees should already know about it today?

I would think so. We should wait in front of an Apple Store during close time and shake'm up a bit... ;)... or snoop around and see if they are getting any shipments... do some dumpster diving and look for some purchase orders... etc...

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
jonomo said:
I would think so. We should wait in front of an Apple Store during close time and shake'm up a bit... ;)... or snoop around and see if they are getting any shipments... do some dumpster diving and look for some purchase orders... etc...
Yes.

We should make them an offer they can't refuse. :cool:

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
Most Apple employees working retail stores do not know when new products are released any sooner than the public. An employee I spoke with a week ago did not know the ipod merged lines until the very morning he went into work and checked apple's homepage. They keep everything so damn secret. However... camping out might still be fun

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
AcousticDoc said:

What is it that the current ibooks can't do but that both new ibooks and windows laptops can do that would make you buy a PC? Or is this just frustration at apple?

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
QCassidy352 said:
What is it that the current ibooks can't do but that both new ibooks and windows laptops can do that would make you buy a PC? Or is this just frustration at apple?

I just don't like buying super old tech

Mood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
NY
RJD said:
Anyone here know if the shipping time on stock Macs always shifts to 1-3 days prior to an update? Have there ever been updates that happened while shipping remained "same business day" immediately beforehand?

if you need it asap, why don't you use the computer you're on right now? sheesh.

RJD

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
Mood said:
if you need it asap, why don't you use the computer you're on right now? sheesh.

I need access to extensive archive material that I can't take home, and I also have to be away from my home a lot over the rest of the summer. My eMac isn't very portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.