New Powerbooks before school starts/Paris Expo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazydreaming, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    #1
    College is soon aproaching for me, anyone else think that there may be an update before Paris Expo before I jump on a 15" Powerbook?

    1) Macpredict.com is saying August 31. Seems to be a pretty reliable source based on past predictions.

    2) Buyers guide...

    3) iBooks recently updated, powerbook update to widen the gap once again?

    4) Not sure if it makes more sense on Apple's part to update before or after back to school sales...

    I must buy before the iPod deal is over. Something tells me Apple will update at the Paris Expo, which will be too late for the iPod deal. :(
     
  2. Tristan_X macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #2
    Last minute decisions

    Your parents wouldn't approve, but I'd suggest you take a look at what games you're wanting to play.

    I got myself the 1GHz PB just after my iBook died (1st week at university!).

    Anyway, PB updates are nice, but tend not to blow anyone away - this is since the G4 speed boosts are fairly minimal with each new model.

    My 1GHz can handle WoW, KotOR, and any non-gaming app. I'd suggest that you wait until the last hour before the iPod deal expires and go with the best PowerBook available in your price range. Unlike my old iBook (300MHz), I have not been depressed by new benchmarks in PB upgrades, since they've been fairly minimal.
     
  3. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    #3
    I'm not buying a computer to play games. Ironically, this is supposed to help me be succesful in school.

    If I wait until the last hour of the Student Union Deal, I'll already be through a month of school... Don't know if it would be worth it. Plus, if new models are released, it will still be a few days before I see it.
     
  4. jcooper42 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    #4
    I'm not convinced that the upgrade won't be a bit more significant. I think its possible we'll see the 7448 G4 which means twice as much L2 cache. That isn't just a minor speed bump. Also, they may bump the system memory to 1 GB. If you would be doing this anyway, then it would save you some money. However, if you are just buying this computer for school work, surfing and other basic stuff then you don't need any more power than the PB offers today.
     
  5. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #5
    Hahaha they won't bump the RAM to 1GB without doing so to the PowerMacs first.
     
  6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

    joecool85

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2005
    Location:
    Maine
    #6
    This is what I was thinking.
     
  7. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
  8. Jay42 macrumors 65816

    Jay42

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    #8
    Its really all speculation at this point. Check out my options here.
     
  9. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

    kalisphoenix

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    #9
    I think this would be a good time to do it (August 31). The Powerbook updates are screamingly overdue as it is.

    Gasp! Someone else who doesn't buy a computer to play games? I thought I was the only #$%^ing one left. Jesus...
     

Share This Page