New PowerBooks coming?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by greg6028, Feb 4, 2002.

1. greg6028 macrumors member

Is there a possibility that NEW POWERBOOKS are coming? I have heard thru a vendor that the PowerBooks are on backorder, does this mean new ones are on the way? This happened with the G4 Quicksilver before the new ones were introduced last week.
    Anyone one have an option? I am debating on getting a desktop for the simple reason of speed and the capability to burn a DVD.
    Maybe Apple is coming out with a duel G4 PowerBook with a Super Drive!!!!

Crossing my fingers,
    Greg

2. kidtronix macrumors regular

pawahbukks

also got my fingers crossed here. many speculations, but that (speculations) it's only. new super xga+ screen, 60gb drive, two firewire outputs, clock speed around 733-900mhz. oh well that's just my hopes and wishes :p

no but frankly, i'm so crossing my fingers for a new sexy beast at macworld tokyo, i so need to buy one before the summer.

3. greg6028 thread starter macrumors member

Super Drive

Do you think they will include a Super Drive?

4. kidtronix macrumors regular

supa?

frankly people should hold on to their knickers when apple puts out new models, if you see an imac ala 2002, do you think it makes sense all that stuff is actually inside that little... thingie. well i don't think we'll see a superdrive in powerbooks for quite some time, but like i said, apple has done shockers, before, so yeah, hold on to your knickers. :cool:

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Not much chance of a super drive!

They would have to make the PBook thicker!

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: New PowerBooks coming?

The much simpler explanation for this is that a lot of people have been buying them. The Rev.Bs are only three months old, and the combo-drive PowerBooks are barely into the channel. Judging by the two week delay in the Rev.B combo drive upgrade program, they had some little snags with that. My guess would be that Apple's combo drive order was not fulfilled as they expected. Either the drives were late or the order was only partly filled.

Don't get your hopes up. Power consumption and heat are going to severely limit what they can do with a PowerBook right now, processor-wise. And as far as the SuperDrive, that's still quite a bulky mechanism. Apple had a hard enough time getting a slot-loading combo drive that would fit in the TiBook's case. I don't think SuperDrive that size is physically possible right now.

7. spuncan macrumors 6502

WTF Kidtronix

maybe I misread ur post but did u say that you beleive that all the new iMac bells and whistles are lies. Apple has never lied during Job's reign. You can say they have but look again then youl'l know I'm right. As for the powerbook. Well I see HD size increase and processors up'ed to 677-733-800 or 733-800-900. Thats all and they will be released at MWTokyo.
    MWNY G5 Powermac introduced available in late sept. Speeds 1.2-1.4-1.6 w/ DDR +USB 2 + maybe 1394b (fw 2?). UP'ed iMacs @ 900-1.0-1.1 w/ USB2 + maybe 1394b (fw 2?) No DDR. UP'ed iPod by next October but as soon as MWTokyo w/ 5-10-20 gig HD+all the music related iTunes features (cross-fadding, equalizer, master volume control). This is all for Apple until MWFrance and Seybold Sanfran.

8. kidtronix macrumors regular

what the smurf?

holy smokes, you are nuts. i was refering to the size, in a comparement that they could fit all that stuff in the new imac, you never know what they can fit in a powerbook, go sit in a corner and cool of will you? ;)

9. keithcobbett macrumors member

Is it possible to bump the video memory to 32MB on the TiBooks?

10. Digidesign macrumors 6502

One of the biggest issues for me (PBG4 550Mhz) is heat. The PowerBook gets extremely hot when running processor intensive apps, such as pro audio apps. So, to compensate, apple has this tiny little fan that whirs up a storms and sounds like a hair dryer on steroids (how can a tiny thing make so much noise? :p).

I'd rather they release a quieter & cooler system with speed bumps only up to 733, than to go all out with upgrades and whatnots that would compromise how the components work together, and the user experience, which is what Apple is so good at :)

11. networkman macrumors regular

i like it when apple listens to its customers like it often does and a superdirve in a tibook must a highly requested item

but like another poster mentioned, the laptop may need to become thicker but i would still be willing to buy one, that is, if i could afford it right now

12. kidtronix macrumors regular

i think i'd prefer to buy one on the side, then i can pick type and brand by myself, but i'd be very, very impressed if they squeezed one in. slot in superdrive, sit on that one mr thinkpad.

13. greg6028 thread starter macrumors member

Re: Re: New PowerBooks coming?

I believe your statments. I don't we will see much in MWTokyo. Maybe just speed bumps, but that would be all.
    I think there is a better chance to see a NEW product than any major changes in the current line.

Greg

14. kidtronix macrumors regular

new product? i don't think apple is ready it, surely the new imacs are selling like butter, but i don't think we'll see much new rather than maybe photoshop 7 final/retail on a dual 1ghz and a 800mhz powerbook.

15. rEd Eye macrumors regular

Of course there's going to be a new powerbook soon.There has to be,cause it is the only mac that hasn't been updated since MWSF(xcept the old imac)
    Right now the powerbook is looking pretty underpowered compared to the rest of the product line.
    My guess is that they will offer a top end model with dual 800's,mid range being 733,and the bottom will be a 633.They will doubtlessly figure out how to cram a superdrive in there as well,eventually.
    My guess is sometime before the end of the month:D

16. jaykk macrumors 6502a

see the apple store for clue

If you look at the online store, you will notice that except for the TiBook (and the original iMac) all other systems have "new" on it..May be its time we will have a "new" stamp on Tibook as well soon.

17. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

kidtronix: does butter sell well?

spuncan: fairly good prediction except for one thing. no usb2 on the powermac. usb2 is m$'s way of competing with firewire. no usb2 until firewire2 is established. and as far as the ipod goes... i really have no idea. i think a 10 gig is likely but the rest of the stuff i dont really know whether to agree or not. maybe someone can convince me.

gelfin: you seem like the most reasonable person here. you might be right on the mark, your logic certainly holds up. but i think cant help thinking a new powerbook is likley (but maybe im just letting my wishes pollute my thyinking).

and whats with all this talk about knickers?

i do have one quick lil question for those who have been following these things. gigawire vs firewire2. there was a thread some time ago talking about an unknown apple patent called gigawire. because of the name and talk about firewire2 many people assumed gigawire was simply a name for firewire2. others took note of mentions of wireless technology in the patent and thought gigawire was something new altogether. ive noticed some people have lately been talking about gigawire as if it was firewire2 while others are talking about it as another type of port. so what do you guys think?

18. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

seems

seems a bit soon to me... but you never know... it would be nice to see it happen

19. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

10.1.3?

I think we will see 10.1.3 at Tokyo. Maybe some minor upgrades to the computers. LISTEN TO THIS: I THINK IT IS TRUE:

MWNY: G5 is released along with 10.2, which is capable of MONITORING multiple processors, and able to use with DDR RAM. Along with this we will see iMovie 3, which takes advantage of DDR RAM.

OR:

Apple never really went to a v.x.3 or a v.3...so:

Minor bumps at Tokyo. 10.2 comes at MWNY with all the above...what do you say? Am I on to something?

20. pigbigsley macrumors newbie

i think that MWNY in 2001 was a HUGE BUST, therefore, if apple doesn't deliver, poor NY will be pissed at apple.

I truly think that Mac comes out with the G5 at MWNY.

FACTS:

THE MWNY SHOW WAS A JOKE LAST YEAR.
    IT'S THE BIGGEST MW SHOW OF ALL.
    SF HAD THE IMAC! A HUGE UPDATE!
    THE APOLLO HAS ONLY GONE TO 1GHZ SO FAR, WITH NO MENTION OF GOING HIGHER.
    G5 HAS BEEN LONG OVERDUE
    THEY ARE BEHIND INTEL BY A LONGSHOT
    THIS IS MAC'S TIME. WITH THE IMAC DOMINATING THE CONSUMER MARKET, THE PRO LINE CAN ROUND IT OUT.
    THE QUAD G4 1GHZ RUMORS PROVE THAT THE G4 IS ON IT'S LAST LEGS. LIKE THE P3, PUT A FORK IN IT, IT'S DONE.

ANYONE DOWN WITH THIS?

Selling my HP Laptop:
    900 MHZ DURON
    256 MB RAM
    DVD
    14.1 LCD

please help out, if you know anyone who wants something like this for $1000, you can help me convert to my first mac (i'm going to film school next year)

21. Onyxx macrumors regular

super what?

tell me why you would want a superdrive in your tibook?

1) burning a disk takes a hell of a long time

2) bigger drive means a thicker case. that means that the tibook loses one of its main selling points, it's form factor. the tibook is one of the most popular laptops in the world because of its looks not its bells and whistles. Many non-mac users first reactions are "wow that looks cool" or "that looks really good. I want one" not "wow it has a G4! i gotta have that"

3)Heat from a dvd burner would be greater than that of a cd burner. If i remember correctly its because of the laser used but don't quote me on it

4) Do you really want your laptop to be half responsive to a half an hour while it burns a disk? The desktop's have enough horsepower to handle this relitively well but a 667 powerbook would be hard pressed to mannage both encoding a dvd and handling tasks at the same time.

truthfully, if you want "mobile" dvd burning so bad buy yourself an external and carry it around. Some arent too big and you could build youself a small firewire one for under $600. True i would love to back up a video piece im doing while i'm traveling but thats why i carry an external firewire drive (my old ibm 2.5 drive in a $30 firewire case). that way i can back up 10 gigs of info on the fly no prob.

Personally, give me a second firewire port and a BUG FREE firewire bus. right now the tibook firewire bus is slower than the ibook 600's or the ibook 500's.
    Combine that with improved screens (higher resolution, same aspect ratio) and maybe an apollo upgrade [don't care about the mhz] and i'll be happy. (remember, the apollo's are low power, low heat chips. maybe we can finally give that little noisy fan a rest!)

22. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

hell yeah onyxx, finally someone who actually sounds like they have used a Ti before. better monitor and apollo and it would be a success in my mind.

pigbigsley: you are right that mwny last year was a bust and we will probably see the g5 there and apple cant afford to have another expo like mwny2001 but i certainly wouldnt say "it's the biggest show of all." mwsf is THE macworld all the others are just spinoffs. dont get me wrong mwny is important, probably the next most important macworld but come on comapring ny to sf? no comparison. the US macworlds are always the biggest (i still think apple should take advantage of tokyo and london more but o well) and macworld sf is the biggest of the bunch. its apple at home. their own backyard. the home court. and sf will always be apple's pride and joy.

23. networkman macrumors regular

multimedia was literally invented as a workable, profitable art form in the SOMA district where macworld sf is held

SOMA stands for the south of market street district in san francisco and it used to be a real eyesore but it is improving every year

the SOMA is sacred ground for graphics professionals and macworld is their holy holiday so i agree that macworld sf is key

i do hear there is more work in the SOHO in London these days so perhaps london will take on a new significance some day...what does SOHO stand for?

24. OSeXy! macrumors regular

I agree with those who only want/expect new video and (any) Apollo in the next revision TiBook. For me that's enough for now.

(Soho, unlike its NY cousin, does not stand for anything. Long ago, there was a deer park where Soho is now: a standard hunting cry was "So! Ho! So! Ho!" -- so there you go.)

25. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

dude. thats somse serious random information to know. congrats and thanks for sharing. so! ho! so! ho! ::waiting for deer to stampede into my apartment::