New PowerBooks: is it a sign for new coming G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fabrizio, Feb 2, 2005.

1. fabrizio macrumors newbie

Hello folks,
    I am waiting to buy two new PowerMacs G5 (top model) because there are rumors that new models will be soon released... in January 31 Apple introduced new PowerBooks: well, do you think that maybe we can expect the release of new G5 PowerMacs soon, maybe topping at 3 Ghz?

Any thought is very welcome.

Thank you.

Fabrizio.

2. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Uh-oh, you're in for it now :D

Seriously, though, we have no idea. Something tells me we won't see 3GHz until at least WWDC in June, but I'm hoping for a slight speed bump this month. My guess is 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5. We MIGHT see 2.8 at the top end, but I doubt that.

There are a lot of subtle signs that make me think an upgrade is imminent. For one, the PM line is seriously losing its edge on the competition, not to mention losing its edge on the consumer level macs and powerbooks. Sales are dropping and Apple I'm sure doesn't like that. There's also the fact that the PM line has just recently (within the last week) been bumped up to same day shipping across the line, so they obviously have a good supply of the chips from IBM now. Lastly (that I can think of right now, and is probably irrelevant) is that the apple store page has updated every model except the iMacs and PMs to show iLife '05. The PMs still say they're bundled with iLife '04. I'm guessing (hoping) that they're not bothering to update that little piece of info as they're getting ready to update the entire page for the upgraded models.

Either way I have to buy before the end of Feb, and with my luck they'll be upgraded 2 weeks into March.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would say now that we will not see G5 PowerBooks until Paris Expo in Sept , Tiger 10.4 and the updated PowerMacs will grab all the limelight at WWDC.
    We may see a slight upgrade again the the PowerBooks ie Faster HDD 7200 and maybe a faster overclocked G4 1.67 + 1.8 and maybe a small price cut as well.

Think of it this way , Apple wants to put G5 into PowerBook ! but does not want to underpower it so much so at 1.6 ,1.8 they want to go for 2.0 Ghz 2.3 Ghz at the least if not more. But to do this requires a new form factor , a better airflow system is more then needed we all know how hot them G4's get already on our laps.

WWDC - Tiger 10.4 , PowerMacs 3.0 Ghz Single + Double
    Paris Expo - PowerBook G5 2.0 2.3 12" form fact will get scrapped and a 13" widescreen introduced .

Macworld 06 - ????? who knows

4. fabrizio thread starter macrumors newbie

vtprinz: thank you for your reply, I hope so too! I understand your irony about the "luck"... I had that "luck" three years ago with a PowerMac G4! After one month, a new completely version was released... ARGH! Thank you for your opinion, I agree with you about the signs... keep our fingers crossed!

liketom: maybe you have not understand we are talking about PowerMac G5... I'd like to see anyway a new PowerBook G5 too! But I am concerned to buy a 2 new PowerMac G5 now...

Thank you again guys.

Fab.

5. MVMadhavan macrumors newbie

Apple Care

So if I were to buy one of the new powerbooks today with apple care, if by chance the powerbooks are again updated within 6 months or a year am is there any kind of trade in policy that allows you to upgrade for a newer version within this amount of time?

6. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

I dont think that there will be any huge updates in the next 6 months, so i would get one of the new powerbooks. Max out the RAM and it'll last you a long time

Enjoy your Mac! [​IMG]

7. James L macrumors 6502a

To the original poster:

The release of Powerbooks tells us absolutely nothing about the release of other products in the line. The laptops are done by a completely different development team than the towers, and development on them is done in parallel to other products, not one after the other. The Powermac development team could already be done the next update, or be months away. This is independent of the laptop teams.

To the poster who asked if he bought a powerbook now, and a revision comes out in 6 months would there be some type of consumer protection or update plan for you... no, and there shouldn't be. Applecare is a warranty, not an upgrade program. Consumers hopefully educate themselves on a product they are interested in, and make a decision to buy now, wait, etc. Just because they purchase a product doesn't mean the company owes them anything 6 months later.

Now, having said all that, throw me into the lot of people who are waiting for new G5's, as I am too!!!

Cheers,

James

8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

2.5 is already fast enough. i can't possibly see what i could use 3.0 for. except for a hell of alot of multi tasking.

9. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I agree, but unfortunately I can't afford the top end model anyway. I'm waiting in hopes of either saving some money or even getting a better computer for the same amount that I'd be spending on the dual 1.8 right now.

10. vtprinz macrumors 6502

hmm....

I'm starting to get pessimistic. Looking at the buyer's guide, I'm starting to think we won't see anything until June.

Just look at the last two years:

6/03 --> PM G5 first released (single 1.6-1.8, dual 2.0)
    11/03 --> Dual 1.8 released (listed as upgrade on buyer's guide)
    6/04 --> PM line upgraded to dual 1.8-2.0-2.5
    10/04 --> single 1.8 release (NOT LISTED AS UPGRADE BY BUYER'S GUIDE)

I think the single 1.8 release is screwing up the buyer's guide. There are a couple differences here, however. The dual 1.8 that was released in 11/03 was a step-up and a replacement of the original single 1.8. However, the new single 1.8 released in 10/04 was more of a downgrade, and didn't replace anything (just added to the existing lineup). Maybe this is why the buyer's guide doesn't list it. But maybe APPLE sees it as their ~6 month upgrade, and thus won't do anything until WWDC in June like usual.

It seems to make more sense that way. Tiger will probably be released at WWDC, and they'll want a new piece of hardware to show it off on. If the PM line gets a small bump (which is all I'm hoping for) right now, then it would be far too small of a time frame for them to upgrade again at WWDC, and the iMac (which would be due for an upgrade by WWDC) just doesn't seem as flashy.

...................I'm obsessing WAYYYYYY too much

11. appletalk macrumors member

I am in the same boat as well...
    I just got the green light for our first G5. The dual 2.5 is in the price range.

I want this machine so bad I can taste it, but not as bad as the taste in my mouth would be if I saw a new machine come out a few weeks after I bought.

I am also trying my hardest to wait for 3.0ghz.

One other thing I have not heard come up yet, is in regards to size... I have heard people say they would like the G5 case smaller.. I think larger.

Here is my info:
    -only holds two drives (without mods)
    -has a problem with ram slots being to close for certain new ram (heatsinks I believe) to fit correctly without stressing the slot
    -and bigger graphics cards are (x800 throwing me off a little here) taking up a pci slot

I already have a bad feeling about buying a G5 now because of speed bumps... I would end myself if I bought now and they redesigned the case. :eek:

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

TS has not mentioned anything about PMG5 updates from what I remember last.

2.5GHz is nice, however I want a 3.0GHz option so the 2.5GHz drops in price. ;) :)

*I have no need for a desktop computer. ;) :)

13. fabrizio thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe it could happen, but Steve mentioned it so many times (also in the last conference) that Tiger will be released "In the first half of 2005". If it will be in June, it will be not in the first half... correct? :mad:

Just wondering...

Fab.

14. brandon6684 Guest

Note, the following is pure speculation and should not be taken into consideration for purchasing decisions.

With the Mac mini, Apple is positioning itself to really get back into the mainstream PC market. One thing I think we'll see this year is the reworking of the pricing of their current line up. For one, when the iMacs get bumped up to 1.8 and 2.0 GHz, I wouldn't be surprised to see a $100 price drop across the line so they'd be starting at $1199 for a 1.8 GHz 17".

I think the biggest change will be to the PowerMac line. For the most part, they've been price out of most markets unless you compare them to high end gaming machines and Xeon work stations. I think the PowerMacs will we split into two lines, one singe processor and one dual processor, with the singles being aimed at the consumer market and they would be like the current sing 1.8 and have the bus speed of the iMacs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a singe processor(1.8 or 2.0 GHz depending on how speed bumps go) PowerMac G5 with 256MB of RAM(unless the finally make 512 the minimum), 80GB(possibly just 40GB, but that seems to low end for a PM) hard drive, 64MB video card and a combo drive go on sale for $999, although $1099 and $1199 are more plausible. The same would cost you $1399 right now, but I think comparing it too the imacs prices they are charging quite a premium and as supplies of parts increases, prices may come down.

Call me crazy, but I don't think it's too completely far fetched.

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i forgot about that , steve did say aim for first Q

SO TIGER within 8 - 12 WEEKS !!! if true put me down for a March 30th release day .

there must be a Venue to launch Tiger 10.4 from any around end or March/April ???

16. all-devourer macrumors newbie

Incorrect. The year is divided into 12 months so the year can be divided into two 6-month periods. 1-6 is the first half, 7-12 is the second half. They've got until June 30 to make their target. Interestingly enough, July 1st is day 182, leaving 183 more. So it is actually the exact middle of the year.

How's that for errant pedantry?

17. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i think he said 1st Quarter ! that would b4 april ?? 3+3+3+3 = 12 months B4 april dude

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i doubt it. why would they upgrade the PB range only to have G5's out soon. its completely pointless.

however i reckons this will be the last revision for G4. seems to be my uni's IT technicians thinking too.

my 2p.

19. fabrizio thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's mathematically correct. I reviewed the latest Macworld 2005 movie and Steve said about Tiger: "We're on schedule to ship it the first half of this year."

Wouldn't be disappointing if Apple will ship it "at the end of the first half"... i.e. in June? Also, if think will be senseless to wait the next WWDC to release it... why Apple should wait June? Simply to speak again about Tiger? They already spoke about Tiger and its magnificent features... and we are here waiting for it since June 2004!

So, I don't know if the release of the next PowerMac series will be linked with the release of Tiger, but I am pretty sure Tiger will be released before the next WWDC.

Thank you guys.

Fab.

20. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but www.macosrumors.com seems to have something up their sleeve.

This was posted yesterday:
    "On deck for tomrrow's updates: rumors about future IBM G5 processors, and new PowerMacs - stay tuned!"

Should have somethign posted later today...

21. madrobby macrumors regular

madrobby

Today I was at a local Apple dealer and asked about them having any idea if there a new PowerMac models in the horizon. I got a cryptic answer that sounded like they could be just around the corner, including a new model with faster processors.

My guess at a possible PowerMac lineup for Feb. 8:

Single 2,0GHz/512MB/160GB @$1,499
    Dual 2,0GHz/512MB/160GB @$1,999
    Dual 2,5GHz/1GB/250GB @$2,499
    Dual 2,8Ghz/1GB/250GB @$2,999

I'd say it's 1GB RAM default because of the "year of HD"-Thing, with FCE and FCP requiring this amount of RAM.

Maybe PCI Express Graphics?

So, I wait. And I can wait till June (hopefully).

22. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

Figures, I was all set to go for a 2.0ghz tower... But aren't they still having noise vs cooling issues with the high-end G5s? Is the 2.5-liquid-cooled? Have they resolved the initial chip shortages? Either way an update would be fantastic, either now or just before Tiger, I just hope Apple doesn't jump ship or neglect the 'workstation' crowd just because its not the biggest market share....

Since 'discovery' of Macrumors:
    :mad: :confused: ....I am all set to plunk down my change for a new PB to acompany my tower...(sells ibook)...(new PB G5 'next tues' rumor)... but the update is so borderline...(hdd on tower dies).... so then I thought a new tower...(rumors of PM update)...how much longer can I wait??! (cd drive starts squeeking menicingly....) ...It is interesting to find a whole community gathered to speculate and debate this kind of dilemma! :)

23. James L macrumors 6502a

24. vtprinz macrumors 6502