New powerbooks or the previous ones???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Skilz34, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Skilz34 macrumors member

Oct 8, 2003
    I bought my very first 15" PB a couple months back (not aware they were going to upgrade the PB soon!). So I have the 1ghz machine with L3 cache, 1 firewire port, 2 usb ports, superdrive, 60g drive, etc. My question to you all is, do you think I should go through the whole selling this thing for a couple of changes, as follows:

1.)54 mps e-card (big deal)
    2.)Firewire 800 and usb 2.0 (nice)
    3.)Bluetooth (nice)
    4.)1.25 processor WITH 512 L2 cache (I actually think my machine w/1.0 g and 1mb L3 cache is faster, correct me if I'm wrong)
    5.) Aluminum casing (I have Titanium which I again think I have the better option correct me if I'm wrong)
    6.)backlit keyboard
    7.) 80 g drive

Personally, I don't think I should go through the switch. But just wanted any advice. Plus with possible G5's coming out next year (so I hear) mabye I should wait!

What do you guys think?
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I would definately wait. Your machine still rocks. I think that you would be spending a whole lot of money and not getting that much in return. You can get a bluetooth dongle and plug it into one of your USB ports and take advantage of that. You can also get a firewire 800/USB 2.0 pc card. All of that would cost less than 150 dollars. And the G5 will be out sometime soon, within the next 18 months I think....though that is just an opinion
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    well, if I were you, I'd wait, because your machine is still great, and the differences aren't that huge. Your Tibook will definitely hold you until G5 powerbooks come out...

But, you're definitely wrong about the 1 Ghz Tibook being faster than the new 1.25 powerbook. Yes the older one has the L3 cache, but the L2 cache is more important. And even though .25 doesn't look like that much, it's a 25% increase... bottom line, even the new 1 Ghz powerbook benchmarks as well or better than the 1 Ghz of the previous generation, and the 1.25 is substantially faster.

The casing is more a matter of preference. Some people like the old ones, some the new ones. I personally love both, but prefer the new casing because, not being painted, it's not prone to the chipping that the old ones suffered.

I would also add two other things to your list of changes:
    1) the GPU went from a Radeon 9000 to a Radeon 9600 (a fairly big change, though the Radeon 9000 is still pretty good)
    2) the airport supposedly gets much better reception
  4. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    Oh, come on...wait for another release. I think setting an upgrade cycle for yourself is a good idea. I wait about three years between laptop upgrades regardless of what new technology arrives in the meantime. You might need to upgrade more often than that depending upon your budget and expected use.
  5. tati macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2003
    i agree, hold on to the 1ghz ti, it is still a great machine. however, if you want more kick out of your 1ghz ti pick up a hitachi/ibm 7200rpm HD. this will make your machine as fast as the new aluminum 1ghz. it is somewhat costly,@300$, but well worth it if you are doing any video or photoshop work.