Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
Apple is either updating tomorrow or dropping the ball on PBs

As others have mentioned, the PB trade-in is expiring.

The memory promo includes just about everything EXCEPT the PBs.

The Brilliant Savings promo only includes the G5's (which really only excludes the PB, 'cause who in their right mind would buy a 23" display to use as a mirror with their eMac, iMac or iBook)

So. The only line Apple isn't helping out with a promotion is the Powerbook line. The Powerbook line is in desperate need of an upgrade. If there are no updates tomorrow, then Apple is really dropping the ball with one of their flagship products.

Something tells me they're not dropping the ball. :cool:

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
SuperChuck said:
SNIP

So. The only line Apple isn't helping out with a promotion is the Powerbook line. The Powerbook line is in desperate need of an upgrade. If there are no updates tomorrow, then Apple is really dropping the ball with one of their flagship products.

Something tells me they're not dropping the ball. :cool:

The promotion obviously helps them move 23" screens, which I think is there intention versus moving PMs.

As for the PB, I would prefer a G5PB at the same price point (or less ;) in 3-6 months than a G4 bump now (no matter the bells and whistles - its still going to have a bottle neck bus) and nothing else to January 2005...

El Duderino

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
My final decision?

i am a complete newb to the whole apple world. i have been reading forums, reviews and talking to other people around my school with macs and have decided to get the next update of the 15" PB, i dont really care what the speed is becuase im pretty much just going to use it for when i go to college in the fall (photojournalism). the most ill be doing on it is adobe photoshop...and maybe some light Premiere. i still have a P4 3.0ghz HT so i can do the heavy stuff on there. from what i hear a mac laptop is going to be most reliable. this i prolly the wrong place to asked for some unbiased information but if anyone thinks i should do otherwise please let me know.

MY FIRST POST! :D

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
I too would much rather have a G5 PB come out in june than a g4 patch and the books come outate. If for some reason the G5 PB wont be available for 6-8 months, they should tell people, give them a bit of roadmap, for our own lives.

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Werent the moto chips not gonna be availabe for 3-6 months or something? Because that would be June, and at that point a g4 patch would piss people off, I feel.

Me thinks g5's soon

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
SuperChuck said:
If their goal was to move screens, why not include the Powerbook in the promotion?

Its a good question.

Some possible answers

Maybe the Applecare on the PB isn't really enough to stretch to the screen as well, PBs having more problems than PMs...coudl be valid

They plan to release new PMs and a whole new line of Screens, and so they are clearing the decks of both...which is most likely

No new PBs for release (maybe only announcement) at WWDC, so no pressure to clear the PB lines just yet... :( which is also likely and unfortunate

They don't sell that many 23"s with PBs and so didn't bother premoting that...(reaching I know)

So maybe I should say that its aimed at both 23" and PMs..., but mostly 23"s because of a glut

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
El Duderino said:
i am a complete newb to the whole apple world. i have been reading forums, reviews and talking to other people around my school with macs and have decided to get the next update of the 15" PB, i dont really care what the speed is becuase im pretty much just going to use it for when i go to college in the fall (photojournalism). the most ill be doing on it is adobe photoshop...and maybe some light Premiere. i still have a P4 3.0ghz HT so i can do the heavy stuff on there. from what i hear a mac laptop is going to be most reliable. this i prolly the wrong place to asked for some unbiased information but if anyone thinks i should do otherwise please let me know.

MY FIRST POST! :D

Well, since it's your first post, I guess few people will fault you for for putting it here as opposed to the Powerbook section of the buyer's guide, which is probably where it belongs. And now that I'm done being a jerk, I'll offer my 2 cents:

1. The Mac will be more reliable because the OS is far more stable than Windows. I know a handful of people who would beg to differ with me on that, but I also know a lot more people who spend half their day pressing ctrl-alt-delete and/or manually rebooting their Windows computers. I don't know anyone who runs a recent version of OS X that experiences frequent crashes. I've crashed twice in the past year and I use my computer constantly for just about everything.

2. You're going to college. As someone who has been to college, I can tell you that much of your time will be spent in search of extra-curricular activities. Chicks dig macs. Especially the Powerbooks. No one is going to stop to ogle your Compaq. Many will take notice of your Powerbook. And should you be after something other than chicks, those guys dig macs, too.

3. Photoshop and Premiere are among the most processor-intensive applications that are in widespread use. A Powerbook can handle both just fine, but neither is a lightweight app. Get lots of RAM and you'll be fine. Also, consider switching from Premiere to Final Cut. The express version is cheap and can probably handle anything you would need. Premiere has been discontinued for the Mac, mainly because Final Cut Pro kicks its behind.

Good luck with your new PB. You're going to love it. Just be aware that once you go Mac, you'll never want to go back, and Mac habits can be a bit expensive.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Does anybody have any information about stocks of powerbooks at big resellers?

I sincerely hope for those waiting for powerbooks that Apple will come through with that 1.5GHz powerbook g4. That would be a nice upgrade.

I hope all those waiting for powerbooks hope for those waiting for powermacs, too.

;)

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Inva--

Clubmac lists 705 15" 1.25 Ghz PBs in stock, along with 334 of the 1GHz 15". They also have ~250 12" PBs and 230 17" PBs. That is an awful lot of inventory at a major reseller to introduce new models on, don't you think?

On a related note, I consistently see PBs being sold at the Apple store in Cherry Creek, CO...

Best,

Bob

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Naimfan said:
Inva--

Clubmac lists 705 15" 1.25 Ghz PBs in stock, along with 334 of the 1GHz 15". They also have ~250 12" PBs and 230 17" PBs. That is an awful lot of inventory at a major reseller to introduce new models on, don't you think?

On a related note, I consistently see PBs being sold at the Apple store in Cherry Creek, CO...

Best,

Bob

I don't know Bob. Those stocks seem low enough too me to release new models. Remember they can still sell those models at lower prices, they don't wait until the stock is at zero.

For example, when the dual 1.8 was released, Clubmac had over 2000 units of the single 1.8 left in stock.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Inva--

I didn't know the stock situation with the 1.8s when the dual 1.8 came out--thanks. I've been sort of keeping track of Clubmacs stock level; they seem to be selling something like 25-30 a week of the 15" 1.25 GHz models. Of course, you're correct about them selling at a lower price--make them $2299, with new ones at $2599, and I bet they'd sell quite well....

I can believe a PB update is coming, just not that it would be very....dramatic. And I'm in the group that thinks G5 PBs are a ways off...

Best,

Bob

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Naimfan said:
Inva--

I didn't know the stock situation with the 1.8s when the dual 1.8 came out--thanks. I've been sort of keeping track of Clubmacs stock level; they seem to be selling something like 25-30 a week of the 15" 1.25 GHz models. Of course, you're correct about them selling at a lower price--make them $2299, with new ones at $2599, and I bet they'd sell quite well....

I can believe a PB update is coming, just not that it would be very....dramatic. And I'm in the group that thinks G5 PBs are a ways off...

Best,

Bob

No problem.

Here's to a Pro update tomorrow! :)

El Duderino

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
invaLPsion said:
Here's to a Pro update tomorrow! :)

i hate getting my hopes up only to be dashed by false rumors, please let this not be the case. im getting exhausted from all this guessing :(

AngryLawnGnome

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
I wish they'd just stop the new computer creation. My powerbook used to be the bomb, but now it's outdated and sitting at the Apple store for 7-10 business days. Either that or I wish I could be filthy rich and buy a new computer every time one comes out! :D

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Naimfan said:
Inva--

Best,

Bob

This isn't anything scientific, or official, or even from the 'inside'... but, when I went to CompUSA a few weeks ago (getting some DVD-Rs, which happened to be near the Mac displays) they had just about every model of Mac sitting out to look at and play with. Every machine was powered up and running, either a quicktime iPod ad, or a movie trailer, etc. When I went early last week (they were out of the on sale DVD-Rs :( ) I noticed that only the 12" and 14" iBook were out and on, and of the 4 PowerBook displays that they used to have out, only one was still there, and it was unplugged... like it was getting ready to be unlocked and pulled with the rest.

Seemed really odd to me... like they were out of stock and preparing to upgrade the floor models maybe? Send the old ones back to Apple to sell int he refurb store? Seemed kinda wierd to me that they wouldn't have displays out of some, presumably, high profit sale items. I didn't have a chance to talk to a sale associate and see if they had any in the back as my wife was already ftap-ing (thats impatient foot tapping to all yo non MUDers out there).

Anyways, just something that I noticed and your question reminded me of. Probably means nothing. :)

Rob

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Smalldog Electronics is getting its quarterly shipment of refurbs in this Friday including 15" & 12" PBs. They're also listing getting more refurbs in on 4/20.

I'm not sure this means anything at all, but since we're discussing recent changes at resellers and everyone's throwing in their recent Apple-related behavioral observations - I thought I would add to the overwhelming evidence that:

Something will happen soon!
:p

(So how many hours till they announce?)

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
Yay, a new PB rumour

About time we had a new PB rumour, guess you've got to give Powerpage credit for generating some discussion activity here.

I think I might consider buying a new PB after swearing I would wait for the G5. The price point should be competitive to get the G5 PB hold-outs to open their wallets. A larger, faster hard drive standard, more RAM standard, and a higher-res screen/card combination say 1920 x 1200 15.4"/Radeon 9700 to at least match the Dell Inspiron xps. Otherwise the specs look ok to me.

Performance-wise it's looking like a big ask to deliver a G5 PB that comes in way ahead of the current crop of G4 PB's. I guess there will by necessity be hardware changes that will allow existing bottle-necks to be addressed but realistically are we being unrealistic in our expectations of the G5 PB's?

Bakafish

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Trade in program

I placed my trade in order on Thursday. One thing I would point out about it, it was timed to expire before the end of the quarter, if new PB's are coming out tomorrow I doubt it has a direct correlation. As evidence I quote part of the agreement:

To accept the offer and be eligible for the discount, customers must send in their computer and it must be received atApple’s warehouse within thirty (30) days from the date credit card details for the new computer purchase are provided to Apple.

This means that smart people will be able to wait an additional several weeks beyond the expiration of the offer to actually get the order into the pipe. I'm hoping that new stuff is announced in the next couple of weeks, but if not I will live. I can still back out of the deal by not sending in my old TiBook too.

h_harker

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
so if...when?

so updates may occur later today, at 9am " central american time" where they design/ organise these things- what does this mean in the good old GMT? when would the online store shutdown, prior to there being updates? and if there are updates, do those of us outside the US reap the benefit at the same time?

any advice will make my morning go faster (or slower) while i sit here...waiting.

" good things come to those who....."

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
h_harker said:
so updates may occur later today, at 9am " central american time" where they design/ organise these things- what does this mean in the good old GMT? when would the online store shutdown, prior to there being updates? and if there are updates, do those of us outside the US reap the benefit at the same time?

any advice will make my morning go faster (or slower) while i sit here...waiting.

" good things come to those who....."

I think its PST 9am...?...its now 2:30AM Tuesday USA PST... 6 and a half hours to go to see nothing happen... :(

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
aswitcher said:
I think its PST 9am...?...its now 2:30AM Tuesday USA PST... 6 and a half hours to go to see nothing happen... :(

That is correct, but something will happen! I believe this because Steve Jobs wants me to buy a Mac and he knows that I will only do it after he upgrades the Powebooks! :)

sosa

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2004
Help me out please!!

I think I might have done the mistake of the Year... I ordered a 15" Superdrive two weeks ago, and was told by the reseller today that it has arrived. What to do? I don‘t wanna pay top dollar for an outdated product, but I don’t wanna put the store in trouble either. Will they be able to return the machine to apple?

thanks for any suggestions...

The Bartender

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
Product Return

Considering the powerbooks will even be updated, you will have ten days to return yours to Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.