New Powerbooks: Upgrade option for Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by six50joe, Feb 2, 2005.

1. six50joe macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm planning to order one of the new G4 powerbooks next week (the ones released at the end of Jan.).

Apple seems to be ramping up consumer attention to Tiger these days and I'll definitely want it when it comes out. As is expected, they can't announce a concrete release date. 1st half of 2005 could be tomorrow, could be June 30., as you can imagine, I don't want to pay for a licence that I'd get for free if it were available now.

I will be buying Tiger to install on my G5 powermac, but it seems unfair to need to buy a second copy of it for the new powerbook once Tiger's released. Why unfair? It will ship with Panther, which would cost $130 to buy off the shelf right now. If I buy Tiger and install on the same machine I'm getting almost no value from the Panther license.

I called Apple and asked if there would be an upgrade program similar to the ones the OEMs offered just before Windows XP came out (I'd bought a Dell at the time with WinME that had a free upgrade to XP once released). I was told that Apple sales had been given no information about such an upgrade program. Furthermore, I was told that it's likely that new machines may not ship with Tiger even when it's released.

Can anyone who dealt with this dilema for the Jaguar-->Panther release offer any insight?

2. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    If you purchase a commercial set of discs for Tiger to install on your PowerMac, they should also work just fine upgrading your new PowerBook. It's the discs that ship with new Macs that are customized for that particular Mac. The commercial discs work with all OS X capable Macs.

Apple doesn't serialize OS upgrades the way Microsoft does, at least not yet. It's up to you to decide how many licenses you are willing to purchase. Apple typically is now offering a family license of its OS upgrades so that you can use the discs multiple times with a clear conscience.
  3. six50joe thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2005
    Dave, You perceptively answered the question I hadn't actually asked but wanted an answer for. :D

We software users often expect everything without paying for anything. When it comes to OSes though, unlike other software licenses I believe that one should never have to pay for multiple same-version OS licenses when it's not humanly possible to interact with more than one at the same time.

Do you think Apple may change its model this time around, given that highly available broadband internet access now makes it possible for them to effectively serialize OS licenses?
  4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I'd say the chances of that happening are VERY likely.

To get back to your first post, Apple only offers the upgrade program ($19.99 for the OS) to people who buy a new Mac AFTER the EXACT release date for the new OS is announced. So, you'll be needing to purchase two copies of Tiger, or hopefully a "Family Pack" type deal might be available (A license to install of 5 computers, perhaps? At a $200 price?).