New powerbooks video cards

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DavidCL23, Aug 26, 2003.

1. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

Do you think the new powerbooks (either the HIGH END 15.4" or 17" model) will utalize the ati 9600 moblie or geforce FX GO? it seems the ati 9600 is a more powerful solution.

2. DavidCL23 thread starter macrumors 6502

One more thing.... do you think apple will include a DVD+&-RW drive instead of the just - R drive?
    Thanks.

It seems pioneer is starting to manufacture combo drives (not sure about laptop verisons though).... also who manufactures the combo drive in the powerbook?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Video GPUs soldered to motherboard, not cards...

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Rumors seem to have been leaning toward the 9600. Both are good chips, I will be happy with anything better than whats in them now.

5. DavidCL23 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks phatpat... were you able to find a site/rumor board with the estimated specs?

6. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Rumors from ThinkSecret (Could have been a different one, but one of repute nonetheless) actually the entire revised PowerBook line would utilize nVIDIA chips.

If that's the case, I hope it's the FX Go chipset, and not the 420/440 Go line. Those just seem crappy.

If you look at nVIDIA's site there's an announcement about HP utilizing the FX Go in their new laptops, so maybe Apple will as well.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i woudlnt be surprised, and i think this is a better choice for apple because nvidia is now hiring full time developers just for Mac OS X, so i have a feeling nvidia will make sure we get the most out of our cards, and ati will alck behind.

iJon

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well both Think Secret and Powerpage seem to be certain they will be nVidia. It seems likely since Apple seems to be favoring them as of late. I too hope it's a FX 5600 GO, that might turn out to be a pretty sweet chip. I'm sure a few professionals wouldn't mind a nice Quatro GO, either. You can get a mobile version with 128 megs RAM! Mmm...video RAM. As far as the +/- RW, it seems like Apple is purely interested in DVD-R. I've heard this is because + is mostly a Windows thing, but I really don't know enough about DVD burning to say anything about the subject, but considering they have only been DVD-R from Apple so far, that is the likely case with the new PowerBooks.

9. DavidCL23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a possibility that -R media will stop being sold? From what I understand +r drives are selling a lot faster then -R :(

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't see that being a problem...Apple, Mac users, and industries with Macs would not allow the computer industry to render their DVD burners useless.

11. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Bring on the Quadros :D...or the Fire GLs I am not fussy.

12. DavidCL23 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

+R is less compatible than -R, so I sure hope this isn't true.

Why would anyone want +R, anyway? It seems to be the inferior format by far.

14. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

all the people I know that have a DVD-burner (including PC-geeks...) have a DVD-... I don't worry about not being able to get blanks in the future and when I will have to replace my tiBook in a couple of years, every notebook will either be equipped with a multi-format burner or a completely different data device...

vSpacken

15. Catt macrumors member

I would prefer to see 9600s in any new Powerbooks because they are less power hungry and produce less heat, they also have vaguely better performance (certainly not significantly, except perhaps for the Pro version).
    It was my understanding that Apple altered all of its graphic card drivers, so does it really matter if Nvidia is putting extra effort into Mac development.