New PowerBooks- When

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

    EJBasile

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2004
    #1
    Heres a topic that might cause some debating....

    Just a quick question, when do you think the new powerbooks will come out? Is there an event being held in the near future where they could be released? What do you think there specs will be?


    Thanks
     
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #2
    It's doubtful that they'll be released at MWSF if it's a speed bump, since Tiger will probably be the center stage product release announcement.

    Tiger has been previewed but not "announced" as a product.

    Then there is the flash iPod...

    Remember Steve wanted to get away from computer announcements at the events, so the dates shift around the events -- unless it's big like the PowerMac G5/iMac.

    But we knew the iMac G5 was coming beforehand, just like we knew Tiger is coming... ;)
     
  3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

    AmigoMac

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2003
    Location:
    l'Allemagne
    #3
    Everyone knows, Next Tuesday!!! :D

    Delivering by end of February ...
     
  4. Diatribe macrumors 601

    Diatribe

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    Back in the motherland
    #4
    I guess after all what has been said and the amount of time that has passed since the last update it is pretty safe to say that there will be either upgrades at MWSF or shortly after.
     
  5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

    oingoboingo

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2003
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #5
    Why, a week after you give up waiting and buy the current model, of course!

    Go on...place an order for the current model...for the benefit of the rest of us! :)
     
  6. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2004
    #6
    I am considering giving in and ordering a 1.5 15 inch PB - right now I am a PC user. However the main reason is it would be an xmas gift - if they come out with a new rev in January I would be pissed. It sounds like that is a good possibility too.

    Its a tradeoff - wait and be happy, but have an empty xmas tree. Or give in and order it, switch to the mac platform and never look back - but in January watch the new PB and drool???
     
  7. aricher macrumors 68020

    aricher

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2004
    Location:
    Chi-il
    #7
    Please kill this thread - how many more of these do we have to take???
     
  8. dieselg4 macrumors regular

    dieselg4

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2003
    Location:
    Rockin' Pittsburgh!
    #8
    Have a Russian Orthodox Christmas . . .
     
  9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #9
    Does anyone else find it never racking that if you bought a PB now, there could be a PB G5 or Dual-Core G4 just around the corner? I would love to buy a new PB right now, but this is really holding me back.
     
  10. ajkst1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2003
    #10
    It's a tough call. I bought mine in October with the <a href="http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/">Buyer's Guide</a> saying "Buy only if necessary." Apple said there will not be any updates until next year, and MWSF is next year. If you really want one buy it now. The Powerbook G5 is not coming out anytime soon and the only speed bump you would see is the 15" Combo going to 1.5 Ghz and the 15" SD and 17" going to 1.7 Ghz. The difference is so little that it's not really worth waiting for.

    The Powerbook G5 is coming....be patient.
     
  11. jebarne macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Location:
    Cary, NC
    #11
    New PBs

    are there rumors about changing the 12" Portable to a 16:9 screen like we see now in the Dell, Sony, and other PC based notebooks?
     
  12. LEgregius macrumors member

    LEgregius

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2003
    Location:
    Virginia
    #12
    Not that I've seen. I would guess that would be unlikely. The verticle resolution would be very low in that case. It may not be very useful. On the other hand, a wider notebook would fit on the lap better.
     
  13. LEgregius macrumors member

    LEgregius

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2003
    Location:
    Virginia
    #13
    January 7 for those who don't know. Even if new powerbooks come out in the keynote, it will be unlikely one could get one by the 7th.
     
  14. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

    TDM21

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2004
    #14
    This is exactly how I felt in June when I ordered my 12" PB. I waited until after WWDC's first day to order. Then I got worried about the Paris Expo on rather or not a new revision would be released. If there was a release, I was hoping for the Dual-Core G4. Almost 6 months later I am relieved that my 12" is still the latest version. I will be sad when they release the next version. I'm a poor college student so this laptop has to last at least 3 more years. That, and i got the APP so I do not want to do anything to my laptop until the warranty runs out.
     
  15. virividox macrumors 601

    virividox

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    Location:
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    #15
    i just say if you need your mac now buy it, if you can afford to wait then do so

    i say feb most likely
     
  16. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #16
    I'll be suprised if they dont bump the G4 a little, drop the price and maybe add soem features at MWSF because I am skeptical of a G5 appearing for some time...
     
  17. ThomasHobbes macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2004
    #17
    I'm the guy who started the whole 13" widescreen replacement for 12" PB so it's nice to see how many places are speculating on it now :)
    As for actuality my guess would be if they move to a G5 or dual-core G4's then you'd see an enclosure update.

    As for updates...
    Sonnet is selling a true 1.7 Ghz 7447A G4 upgrade for towers and the cube, Giga Designs have a 1.73 Ghz as well but that's an overclocked 1.6 Ghz. If they can obtain a 1.6/7 Ghz then Apple can get that or better from freescale. Plus of course we don't know when the 7448 (1.5 Ghz+ (based on the 7447A new speeds I'd say 2 Ghz), 200 Mhz bus, 1 MB L2) actually goes into production besides some time in the first half.
     
  18. Mord macrumors G4

    Mord

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    i'd say either g5 revisions or a 1.6GHz g4 12" and combo 15" with 1.8GHz high end 15" and 17", i think this as they should bump the fsb to 200MHz so should go up in full bus increments.

    if they went g5 i'd say the same clock rate.
     
  19. Eevee macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #19
    When coming out? Specs? Events? Maybe the right questions are :

    When do we think the new PowerBooks will NOT come out? (Now till the beginning of 2005)

    What event being held in the near future where they are NOT released?
    (MWSF, maybe introduced, but probably not released)

    What do we think there specs will NOT be? (Single G4, 1.5 GHz, 32 VRAM, 256 MB DDR SDRAM, OS X 10.3).

    Sorry for being too negative, but just too many speculations leads to disappointments, though it's entertaining to speculate...

    Just my two cents...
     
  20. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

    Rob587

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #20
    I will be going to college in the fall of 2005. Do you guys think I will be able to buy a "new" powerbook by then. And by new I dont mean a speed bump. I mean like a dual G4 or a single G5.
     
  21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #21
    My Magic 8-Ball is Wintel Powered, so it would probably be no help to you if I could get it to boot up again.

    All I see is a solid blue window... :(
     
  22. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

    Rob587

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
  23. morkintosh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2003
    #23
    I got mine last month to replace my Rev A 12" powerbook; release in the near future or no release, I couldn't be happier with it.
     
  24. morkintosh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2003
    #24
    It never ceases to amaze me how people seem to think that a new product magically makes the one they currently have run slower. If your laptop will last you 3 years now, a new product release isn't going to change that.
     
  25. efoto macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2004
    Location:
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    #25
    Assuming a new version of the PBs comes out at MWSF:

    Can you still order the previous version for a while with speedier ship dates than the newer version?

    I am getting ready to switch to Mac and I can afford to wait until MWSF, however I NEED, actually REQUIRE this product before middle March. So, if the new one came out and it was only a speed bump or other update that I did not personally care for...can I still access the "old" version (hopefully for less $)?
     

Share This Page